When Devout Pilgrims Kill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Devout Pilgrims Kill!

What does it mean when pilgrims waiting to go to Haj turn violent and kill?

I am referring to the yesterday's event at Kandhahar Airport where pilgrims bothered by the long delays decided to rush the Aviation Minister, beat him up and throw his dead body onto the tarmac.

Isn't Haj supposed to focus one's attention to prayers and attempts to gain benedictions of Allah?

If one's flight is delayed, so what?
    Pray some more! Stay Focused upon Allah.

Why go against the very essence of a spiritual journey, one that emphasises brotherhood and resort to taking the life of fellow brother?

Can any amount of spiritual journeys soften the hearts & minds of muslim brothers?

I dont even know what to say about this sad and ridiculous episode. It shows 2 different scenarios. One is the corruption that resulted in this melee, and two, the 'street fight' culture that has returned to Afghanistan, something that is otherwise prooudly toted as 'the warrior race'.

Apparently, the minister took over a plane meant to transport potential haajis, and was about to use it for a personal trip to India. Frankly, Id be as mad at someone for doing that to me as were those haajis. Hajj is something people wait their entire lives for, and when you see someone boarding a flight for Hajj, its likely that it will be the last time he does so, because not everyone can afford it repeatedly. So for a minister to push aside their plans for his personal tour is ridiculous, and I have no sympathies for him.

At the same time, its sad that people going for Hajj would turn so violent, as to defeat the entire purpose of them going to Hajj.

Comment

Originally posted by Akif:
      I dont even know what to say about this sad and ridiculous episode. It shows 2 different scenarios. One is the corruption that resulted in this melee, and two, the 'street fight' culture that has returned to Afghanistan, something that is otherwise prooudly toted as 'the warrior race'.

Apparently, the minister took over a plane meant to transport potential haajis, and was about to use it for a personal trip to India. Frankly, Id be as mad at someone for doing that to me as were those haajis. Hajj is something people wait their entire lives for, and when you see someone boarding a flight for Hajj, its likely that it will be the last time he does so, because not everyone can afford it repeatedly. So for a minister to push aside their plans for his personal tour is ridiculous, and I have no sympathies for him.

At the same time, its sad that people going for Hajj would turn so violent, as to defeat the entire purpose of them going to Hajj.
      Dear Akif,
      Interesting comments:
      "Frankly, Id be as mad at someone for doing that to me as were those haajis. Hajj is something people wait their entire lives for..."

Even if the Minister were going to use the airplane for his trip, does that justify his murder?

Does islam say - Offer Haj even if it means one can kill to get there?

I am certain that the mob that were responsible for the Minister's death were lined up on time to offer the namaz as well!

Comment

that is what happens when the rituals become more important than the essence and spirit of religion.

whats the difference between attitudes like this, or panj waqta namazis (people offering all five prayers) hating others because they are not exactly like them? the sipah sahaba or the jafferia goons?

idiots..

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Logical....

I presented my point of view from both sides. In no way does anything justify killing the minister, even if he was a murderer. Such matters are to be dealt by the law enforcement agencies.

From the ministers standpoint, the mob went overboard, and as potential haajis, one would expect them to be all the more careful in what they do.
          And from the public's standpoint, ministers do not have the right to use a whole plane for a personal trip, when there are 100s of other passengers who will get stranded just so a minister and his family can hitch a flight to India.

This is what I appreciate about Gen Musharraf. Despite being in a position of power, he always uses commercial flights for his trips, and is always accompanied by commercial passengers.

Regardless, now we have Karzai saying that it was not the haajis, but a specific group of people that essentially assassinated the minister based on some old enmity.

Comment

Logical-

I don't think Akif is saying that murder is justified. He's just trying to explain that the people's indignation was justified. But their actions were not, killing someone is hard to justify, unless in self defense which isn't the case here.

But the utter frivolity of this Aviation Minister's trip in comparison to the Hajji's spiritual journey must be noted. I only know what I heard on the news but if that's all there is to the story, honestly I have no sympathies for the man. All I can say is his time was up.

Definitely, we must strive for the true essence of Islaam and Islaamic brotherhood, which is not seen in either party's action. The Hajji's shouldn't have killed the man but he shouldn't have attempted to overtake their plan for his own use.

God help us all to remember what the whole point is. Its so easy to see people like these Hajjis' and start to blaspheme all religious people or only think of the hypocrits that we see. We must remember that the righteous people do not always stand out as much as the people who drag the name of Islaam.

Comment

an update... http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1823082.stm

maybe the pilgrims waiting to go to Haj did not kill him.
              "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

quoting Aisha's link

the three most senior suspects all come from the Panchea valley and from the armed faction Jamiat-e-Islami, part of the victorious Northern Alliance which entered Kabul after the Taleban fled.

Abdul Rahman used to belong to this faction before he became a supporter of the former king of Afghanistan.
                What I find interesting is that the Jamiat-e-Islami was fighting aganist Talaban? Wow!
                I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                - Robert McCloskey

Comment

I find it difficult to believe that the Minister of Aviation was murdered because of past differences with his old party members or that he used to live an 'Unislamic Life'.

The whole event is on video that shows hundreds of 'supposedly pilgrims' charging the plane and lynching the poor man. Some of these very perpetrators are in Mecca for haj and the Suadis have rejected Govt. request to turn them over. The mob had also attacked the head office of the Afghan Airline and beaten up its President who was, fortunately, rescued by the security forces.

Apparently, the outrage of the hajis for the flight delays that motivated this murder of the Aviation Minister was responsible for the attack on Ariana Airline's president.

The interim President Karzai is, in all probablity, attemting to sideswipe the cold-blooded murder committed by hajis and make it into an act of political vendetta carefully plotted by disgruntled party members of Northern Alliance.

Stay tuned!

Comment

logical,

I get the feeling that you are being very illogical. The initial news was what you are trying to assert. Subsequently, the government has come out with this version and has asked Saudi Arabia to return high-ranking politicians - not ordinary people who would go around lynching a person.

By the way, how would the people react if their only means of transport to the gangajal was used by Bajpai to go to Las Vegas.

Comment

May this incident be a reminder to us all not to jump to conclusions too quickly. At all times, we must humble ourselves and realize that only Allah (swt) knows the truth.

Even the most reliable news source can be mistaken. Ya Allah, forgive us (only those of us who are remorseful) for suspecting or being led to suspect the poor pilgrims.

We never know what has happened, we can't trust 2nd hand info. Only Allah knows.

[This message has been edited by Muni (edited February 21, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Muni:
                        Ya Allah, forgive us all for suspecting or being led to suspect the poor pilgrims.
                        I know how you feel but Allah is not responsible for our individual actions.
                        Today, investigation results proved that the Minister was, indeed, killed by rampaging pilgrims and it was not a plot as first reported.

I really had my doubts when PM Karzai came out with a conspiracy theory absolving the pilgrims of being participants to cold-blooded murder. The groups of hajis had attacked & killed the Aviation Minister, had also attacked the Head Office of the Afgan Airline and beat up its President who was fortunately spared the lynching by being rescued by the security forces.

Here's the Proof:

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- Afghanistan's foreign minister said Wednesday the country's aviation minister was killed by an angry mob, not senior government conspirators as interim Prime Minister Hamid Karzai has claimed.

Foreign Minister Dr. Abdullah said that police had questioned dozens of witnesses and now believe that Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister Abdul Rahman was killed last week at Kabul airport by Islamic pilgrims enraged that their flights to Saudi Arabia had been delayed.

Abdullah, who uses only one name, said the whole government now shares this view, although there was no comment on this from Karzai.

Karzai blamed the killing on a feud among members of his own government although witnesses earlier said the minister was killed by irate pilgrims.

``It was not a premeditated plot,'' said Abdullah, speaking at a press conference in the Afghan capital of Kabul.

Comment

Working...
                        X