Allah's 99 names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allah's 99 names

Well its said that if you keep one of the divine names you should always stick ABDUL (servant of) in front of it.

Now I'm wonderin' people usually call the person by their first name and hardly say Abdul, so whats the point?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

g t th ߧ f f t t th wll t g .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Salaam,

I am not clear when you say "it is said" (who says that? I am whats the authority?) and "whats the point". Do you mean that divine names like Rahman, Karim, Ali are reserved only with Allah and naming some one these is a Sin/forbidden in Islam.

I am not a scholar but just to throw some information, whcih may be useful. As I can remember, Quran gives the first two titles above (or atleast one, plz correct me if i am wrong) to Prophet (pbuh) and also there have been many reverent personalities in Islam with the name Ali.

So I can see people having names which are also attributes of God (there could be exceptions for some like the name Allah(swt)) and it seems permissible.

Comment

Originally posted by Verstehen:
      Salaam,
      walaikum

I am not clear when you say "it is said" (who says that? I am whats the authority?) and "whats the point".

I don't know who's authority, i've just heard it from many and want to confirm my question.

Do you mean that divine names like Rahman, Karim, Ali are reserved only with Allah and naming some one these is a Sin/forbidden in Islam.

No. I mean that if a person is to be named any of Allah's 99 names it should be accompanied with ABDUL which means servant of rather than calling himself Sami which means HIGH, EXHALTED so its said that the name should be Abdul Sami (Servant of the Exhalted) rather than being the Exhalted. And the rest of the names should follow suit like Abdul Rahman, Abdul Karim and as for Ali, thats a human's name.

------------------
      Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Comment

Back to my original question now that i've thoroughly explained what I'm asking.

Why put the Abdul in front of any of Allah's names for a person when we call that person by their name.

i.e. Abdul Karim
        yet we choose to call the person him Karim which is deemed wrong by many.

So what's the point of putting Abdul there when your not using it?

------------------

Comment

There may not seem to be a point to it, but the fact remains that its wrong to address someone as 'Karim'. Rather, its supposed to be said in its entirety...as in Abdul Karim, though merely Abdul wouldnt be wrong either. You may have noticed, Abdul is a very commonly used name in Bangladesh. So its not as if its not usable.

Just because people distort something to the point of losing the basic premise behind it, doesnt mean we should stop doing it. We should continue to make the concious effort of doing it the right way.

Comment

CocoNut, I see what you are saying. Well I don't know any ruling from a religious authority about this matter. But what I know is there has been many personalities in Islam whose names/titles were the same as the attributes of God like 'Ali' (http://www.holy-names.com/).

Another way of looking at this issue is calling the people whose names do start with Abdul, like Abdul Rahman. Can we call them only Rahman, leaving Abdul?

I really don't know about it. If I were to ask any religious scholar about it, I would also ask if Intention could make any difference in it or not.

Comment

The Divine names are only reserved for Allah. For example Ar Rahim means "The Most Merciful" obviously there can be no other who can claim to be The Most Merciful other then Allah (swt). That is why it is not considered appropriate to call some one else beside Allah (swt) The Most Merciful. By adding Abdul in front of a divine name we mean "Slave Of". Abdul is derived from Arabic "Abd" which mean "Slave". So lets now consider a name "Abdul Rahim" which will mean "Slave Of The Most Merciful" a perfectly beautiful name for a human being. Hope this will help.

And only Allah (swt) knows best!

[This message has been edited by Musalman (edited February 18, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
              X