What's in a name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in a name?

Well, Khawateen and myself were having a discussion on what to name my newborn nephew. Then she said that its somehow linked to the Quran/Hadeeth that a name brings out the characteristics in a kid. How true is that?

I've heard people have changed their names and have had drastic differences to their personality.

And then there was this one line where Prophet Muhammad said that no one should name their kid Abdul Qasim which is Kunya?
    I read that at a muslim names website and have no clue what its about. Someone explain in a few words with substantial evidence supporting what they write and not copy/paste.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

g t th ߧ f f t t th wll t g .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Anyone care to take a stab at it?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

g t th ߧ f f t t th wll t g .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Its recommended that you give postive and meaningful names to your kids. The structure of the name can differ based on traditions and culture, but the meaning has to be decent and positive, from Islamic standards.

As for Abul Qasim, I dont think its prohibited as a kuniyat. There are millions of people named Qasim in this world, and their fathers automatically become Abul Qasim. Besides, it doesnt make sense, since I dont think Prophet SAW would prohibit a kuniyat with respect to just one son. He had another son as well.

Names grow on to a person. You give a child a name, and when the child grows with the knowledge of the meaning of that name, he/she tends to associate with it very intimately, and tends to absorb characteristics related to that name. So I feel the characteristics are absorbed through an unconcious effort. Its not a divine intervention, where if you name a kid 'shams', he will start shining like the sun.

Comment

Working...
      X