X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in restaurants where wine is served

Question #681: Working in restaurants where wine is served

Question:

What is the ruling on one who works in a restaurant where haraam drinks are sold, but he avoids preparing or carrying these drinks to customers, but he continues to serve the customers if they ask for food and drinks which are not haraam? Taking into account the fact that I pass by people who are drinking them and I see those who are serving them, as it is one place. What is the ruling on the Muslim who deals in them for the purpose of attracting customers? What is the ruling on serving pork to customers when working in that restaurant, as a service and work for the purpose of earning a living? What is the ruling on the owner of a restaurant who has pork and earns money from it?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: it is haraam to work and earn a living by helping people to consume haraam things such as alcohol and pork. The payment for that is haraam, because this is a kind of cooperating in sin and transgression, and Allaah prohibited that when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“…but do not help one another in sin and transgression…” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

We advise you to keep away from working in this and similar restaurants, because this will keep you from helping in anything that Allaah has forbidden.

Secondly: it is forbidden for a Muslim to sell haraam things such as pork and alcohol. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“When Allaah forbids a thing, He also forbids its price.”

Provision and the attraction of customers are things that are in the hand of Allaah, and they are not to be found in selling haraam things. The Muslim must fear Allaah and follow His commands and heed His prohibitions.

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine” [al-Talaaq 65:2-3 – interpretation of the meaning]
    http://65.193.50.117/index.php?ln=en...e&QR=681&dgn=3

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Question #866:
    Working in a riba-based (interest-based) bank

Question:

Aslamoaliakum.

I have been offered a job at a Bank, and I am not sure whether I should work there or not, because the bank makes money from interest (Riba). Please tell me whether working there is allowed (Jaaiz), or not.

jazaakum-Allah-khair.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

You will find the answer in the hadeeth of Jaabir, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah cursed the one who consumes riba (interest or usury), the one who gives it, the one who writes it down and the one who witnesses it. He said: 'All of them are equal in sin.'" (Reported by Muslim, may Allaah have mercy on him, in his Saheeh, no. 1598)

Commenting on this hadeeth, al-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: This is clearly a prohibition of the writing down or witnessing of a contract between the two parties involved in a riba-based deal. It also includes a prohibition of helping others to commit wrong acts. And Allaah knows best.

It is inevitable that the employee in a riba-based bank will play a part in riba dealings one way or another, even if he is just a security guard. Maybe Allaah will help you, my brother, if you are patient, to find halaal employment. (Interpretation of the meaning) "… And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty)." [al-Talaaq 65:2]

Shaykh al-Barraak

http://65.193.50.117/index.php?ln=en...e&QR=866&dgn=3

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"

Comment

from Fatwa-online.com

Question: What is the ruling regarding wiping the neck during wudhoo.
      and washing the (required) parts (of the body) for wudhoo. more than
      three times?

Response: Wiping the neck during wudhoo. is an innovation and washing
      the (required) parts (of the body) for the wudhoo. more than three
      times is an unnecessary extravagance (waste).

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
      Question via telephone - al-Bid'u wal-Muhdathaat wa maa laa Asla
      lahu - Page 637

------------------

Comment

how about riba-free housing schemes in North America?
        how islamic are they?

Comment

And 0% APR car financing? I am sure its ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Pristine:
            And 0% APR car financing? I am sure its ok.
            I remember when Mufti Desai was here, he said it was alright. But if you want something more substantial than just my memory, you may find something on his site, askimam.com .

Comment

Working...
            X