Why this obsession about Converts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why this obsession about Converts?

A common thread I see on all the posts here is the amount of attention the so-called 'Celebrities' who convert to Islam get?
    I wonder what the idea is behind such an attitude?
    Christians and HIndus don't go around shouting the names of the converted for example.
    Is it a subconscious desire to prove Islam is a civilized acceptable religion?
    The latest seems to be Mike Tyson. Somebody was asking if it is true he converted and somebody else was saying yes!!!

I think when any celebrity "gets" religion,
    it is newsworthy. Often, when one converts
    to Islam, it is more noteable because it is
    taken more seriously. Malcolm X, Muhammed Ali
    and Cat Stevens, who left a very sucessful
    recording career, changing his life along
    with his fans. To some extent, it does seem
    to give further validity to the religion. It
    is a great life change for those who choose
    to convert, encompasing a different culture
    in many cases. Born Again Christians is a
    phenomenon associated with US southerners
    that occurs frequently.

Comment

>>when one converts
      taken more seriously.<<
      Exactly. And that is precisely the point. Why? As far as I know Christians or Hindus or Budhhists don't think it is a big deal if somebody converts.
      I know Christians do a lot of missionary work but it seems to be Conversion if Possible + Social Work.
      My question was why is it more noticeable?
      Is it Muslims themselves giving publicity or Non-Muslims noticing the phenomenon?

Comment

>>The latest seems to be Mike Tyson.

Whats your point? This is a place to ask questions. And since u didn't read the Tyson thread, it was not about glorification of Islam rather it was to criticize his sick behavior in public.

As regards the other part of your post "Christians and HIndus don't go around shouting the names of the converted for example." Fair enuf! I have no idea if any significant personality actually converted from Islam to any other faith. I know some (like Rushdie) criticze Islam but stick to being called a muslim. There are a few who convert to atheism or religion-less state, and I have known many western celebrities who have turned to buddhism and hindu mystism as a means to find inner peace.

In any case, you are free to shout at the top of your lungs if you feel like celebrating any such conversion. I, for one, will not hold it against you.

Comment

It is not a question of ME shouting anything.
          My question was why do Islamic conversions get such notice?
          As for converting out of Islam surely you must be aware that apostates are regarded as worse than infidels in Islam!!!
          So it is not a very safe thing to publicly convert out

Comment

Andhra:

As far as I know Christians or Hindus or Budhhists don't think it is a big deal if somebody converts.
            Christians DO think it is a big deal, might just not be noticed. Why it is not advertised might be because in Christianity the new convert actually needs to change his life and often it just does not take place.

Conversion of someone to another religion does not really mean anything. The way the life of the person change AFTER the conversion should be noticed.

[This message has been edited by The Old Man (edited February 05, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
              So it is not a very safe thing to publicly convert out
              You are quite aqalmand... You figured it out, huh?

And yes, Old Man has a point. We don't know whats inside a person's heart and mind so its his or her actions which tell us. So its not merely the announcement which is important, but the deeds. Mike Tyson is a prime example. Read that thread again, if you are still confused.

Comment

Pristine read MY threads again. I am not talking about Mike Tyson.
                By the way most of these conversions seem to happen to African American Males while they were in jail!!
                If I were a Muslim I would be concerned about where my Mullahs are recruiting from

Comment

If you stop putting meaningless smilies in your posts that will help.

You asked about muslim black males covnerting in prisons. I am not a psychologist or even a religious scholar, but my thoughts are that according to American history, majority of the blacks were forcibly smuggled from Africa into continental United States. "Roots" (Alex Hailey) explains that these were muslims. Once in US, their children adopted christianity but till the middle of the last century there was still severe racial segregation in US. Most blacks, to this date, feel that they are not equal citizens in US. This forms a rebellion in them and they may end up in prison. For the inner peace they turn to other religions. One obvious choice is the religion of their fore-fathers, Islam. Plus in Islam there is no segregation on color, creed, race or origin. A black muslim will stand next to a white muslim or an arab in the prayer. This lack of racial segregation in the message of islam also attracts a great number of repressed people. Even in India, many lower-cast hindus embraced islam because they were given equal rights under islamic teachings.

However, the conversion is not limited to black muslims.

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf, a renowned muslim scholar from Santa Clara, CA is a white Californian who embraced Islam, studied islam in Egypt and Africa and is now a very visible spokesman for Islam in US.

Cat Stevens, a famous singer who embraced Islam and is now Yusuf Islam is not black, is he?

These are just a couple of examples, just to set the record straight. Hope it helps

[This message has been edited by Pristine (edited February 05, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
                    >>when one converts
                    taken more seriously.<<
                    Exactly. And that is precisely the point. Why? As far as I know Christians or Hindus or Budhhists don't think it is a big deal if somebody converts.
                    I know Christians do a lot of missionary work but it seems to be Conversion if Possible + Social Work.
                    My question was why is it more noticeable?
                    Is it Muslims themselves giving publicity or Non-Muslims noticing the phenomenon?

sorry if it offends u .......but in my entire life i havent heard or seen a single christian/muslim/jew/budhist/ or any religion that person belongs to coverting to hinduism...... i may be wrong but would u plz provide atleast one individual who converted to hinduism??

plz provide the source if not then answer wot u know about it!

thanx

Comment

If Hare Krishna's and those who follow Baba's are Hindu, that would qualify George Harrison, Pete Townsend, and Carlos Santana. These are from the realm of classic rock music who all happen to be guitarists.

Comment

Tyson isnt the latest. He coverted years ago.
                        And it has nothing to do with celebrities converting..the hundreds that convert everyday aren't celebrities. Converts of any background or status are welcomed and received warmly by Muslims. Nothing unnatural about that.

------------------
                        "If people were to know of the things I know, it would all fall apart."
                        CSM

Comment

and by the way, most of the conversions aren't by african american males in jails, just because they 'seem' that way to you. While it is true that most converts are african americans, there is a sizeable amount of Hispanic converts as well as whites/europeans. And the overwhelming majority of converts is women..the ratio is 1:4 i believe.
                          http://www.themodernreligion.com/con...t_websites.htm

------------------
                          "If people were to know of the things I know, it would all fall apart."
                          CSM

Comment

Rehhan, I think TOMASSO answered the question. George Harrison passed away recently and asked for his Ashes to be immersed in the RIver Ganga.
                            hk I am aware of all these web sites celebrating the conversions.
                            My question was why? and because of whom? Is it Muslims themselves that are pro-active or Non-Muslims noticing it?

Comment

I think TOMASSO answered the question. George Harrison passed away recently and asked for his Ashes to be immersed in the RIver Ganga.
                              Did George Harrison 'accept' or 'convert' to Hinduism? or was it just that he liked the idea to be burnt and immersed in Ganga?

There is nothing wrong if you are happy to see anyone joining your "community", "group", "cult" or "religion". Celebrating or "shouting" the convert of "celebrities" is noticable because that "celebrity" is known in many corners/areas and people like to share information about them..... just like any news/article/gossip talking about any affair of a celebrity gets popularity.

why did it hurt/offend/make you jealous anyway?

your question: why "Hindus", "Christians" don't celebrate?
                              my question: is there any appreciation left in "general masses" of 'followers for their religion (Hindus, Christianity)?

my suggestion: if Julia Roberts, Madonna, Arnold Schwarznegger today convert to Hinduism I'm sure lots of Indian media would be posting articles/news about that.

------------------
                              May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Working...
                              X