Taqleed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taqleed???

AoA, recently i came across a fatwa site, which stated that the only difference or the main difference between Salafis and Sunnis is of TAQLEED. Salafis don't believe in taqleed, but Sunnis do. I looked up the meaning of taqleed and this is what i found:

Translatorís note: Taqleed [lit. imitation] means repeating the views of scholars to others without knowing the details or basis of their fatwas
    I don't really get it.. isn't it the right thing to do.. ie. not pass on the fatwas by scholars if you don't know the basis of their fatwas????

Also i found out this difference b/w Sunnis & Salafis on www.ask-imam.com. They had some LONNNNNNNNNNNNG explanation on it. So i used www.islam-qa.com to obtain the meaning of it (taqleed). Does anyone know how authentic ask-imam is??? One of my friends was telling me that ask-imam has some fatwas that contradict the ahadith. For example....

1.Ask-imam has issued a fatwa saying that you do not need a wali or his permission to get marrried (i *think* for the first time), whereas my friend found some ahadith/fiqh, which clearly stated that Prophet (SAW) emphatically stated that you need to have your wali or his permission in order to get married.

2.Ask-imam also issued some other fatwa on Fajr prayer, which i didn't understand properly. It was again contradicting the ahadith.

Also, ask-imam has repeatedly mentioned that they're the hanafis and follow hanafi madhab.

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited January 31, 2002).]

Sister, Assalamo ALaikum!

I believe there is some misunderstanding. You are putting more emphasis on the note from the translator, and less on the main response from Ibn al-Qayyim.

First of all, there are three views. You are basing your understanding on only one.

Secondly, the one that you have taken, without the note reads as follows:
    The first view is that it is not permissible to give a fatwa based on taqleed because that is not knowledge, and giving a fatwa without knowledge is haraam.
    Wassalam

------------------
    Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

AoA, i still didn't properly understand Taqleed. Why are three opinions so different? One says you can the other states you cant.. and then there's one in between

I'll try reading it again. Another question, do you know if Islam-qa.com or ask-imam.com are authentic or which one's better? Because their fatwas are VERY DIFFERENT! Ask-imam is hanafi i think.. and i'm not sure abt the other one (islam-qa.com). At first I thought this one's also hanafi, but then later on figured out that it *COULD* be a salafi fatwa site.

Comment

Here is a fatwa on taqleed by "The Standing Committee for Islamic Research and ifta" whose president was the late Saudi grand Mufti Abdul-Aziz bin baz R.A. It may be noted that this fatwa can be classified as "Salafi" since majority of the Salafis align themselves with Shaykh bin baz's views on aqeedah and fiqh.
        http://www.islaam.com/Article.asp?id=275

Comment

I have a question!!!
          Do Salfis practice Taqleed?
          Because if a person does not learn the Islamic teachings by him/herself and follows the saying of scholars (dead or alive) could be considered a Muqalad. It does not matter if that person was born in a Salfi family or in the Muqald's family.

Comment

"Taqleed"??

salafis are also muqallid (followers) of one source. like we sunnis follow either one of four (Hanafi, Maliki, Hanbali, Shafii). but salafi don't follow anyone of the four, but a fifth opinion. they "claim" that they don't follow, but directly or indirectly they do follow. hence, they fall in same category as sunnis/shias (followers).

------------------
            May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
              "Taqleed"??

salafis are also muqallid (followers) of one source. like we sunnis follow either one of four (Hanafi, Maliki, Hanbali, Shafii). but salafi don't follow anyone of the four, but a fifth opinion. they "claim" that they don't follow, but directly or indirectly they do follow. hence, they fall in same category as sunnis/shias (followers).

You're right! Salafis claim to be ONLY/STRICTLY following Quran & Sunnah, which is fine. But they tend to cling on to one of the four school of thoughts for fatwas and stuff related to it.

I know a friend who told me she's salafi... so i was asking her about wiping over the feet ruling.... later on i found out that she's salafi following shafi madhab because they don't have their own proper fatwas or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
                You're right! Salafis claim to be ONLY/STRICTLY following Quran & Sunnah, which is fine. But they tend to cling on to one of the four school of thoughts for fatwas and stuff related to it. I know a friend who told me she's salafi... so i was asking her about wiping over the feet ruling.... later on i found out that she's salafi following shafi madhab because they don't have their own proper fatwas or something like that.
                Qaasim says---->This is not quite true:
                To me seeking help and follwoing one of the school of thoughts which is more suitable according to or nearer to the act of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) or his companions for the fatwas and/or for research is not actually a Taqleed
                or is it?

The difinition of Taqleed is that "A person blindly follows ONE school of thought"

If you go by acts or way of worshiping then you would not find any acts which has not been practiced by at least one school of thought. If a Salfi does any deeds in Islam and that deeds have been practiced by one of the great scholars in Islam, would that make this salfi a Muqalad?

I do not think so!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Qaasim (edited February 04, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Qaasim:
                  Qaasim says---->This is not quite true:
                  To me seeking help and follwoing one of the school of thoughts which is more suitable according to or nearer to the act of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) or his companions for the fatwas and/or for research is not actually a Taqleed
                  or is it?

The difinition of Taqleed is that "A person blindly follows ONE school of thought"

If you go by acts or way of worshiping then you would not find any acts which has not been practiced by at least one school of thought. If a Salfi does any deeds in Islam and that deeds have been practiced by one of the great scholars in Islam, would that make this salfi a Muqalad?

I do not think so!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Qaasim (edited February 04, 2002).]
                  AoA, i didn't label Salafis muqalid over here. I only replied to Changez likes post where he stated that Salafis follow a 5th/different madhab. Besides, I don't think anyone would be blind following a madhab.

Comment

The problem with hardcore Salafis is that they classify taqleed as "bidah" or innovation. Whereas, the majority of scholars in the world belong to one of the four schools of fiqh. Not only that, almost all of the major scholars of the past were muqalid of either of the 4 imams. Take for example, Hafiz Ibn-e-Hajar Al-Asqalani (Rahimullah) or his student Allamah Jalaluddin Al-Suyuti (Rahimullah) who were both Shafiee. Among Hanfis, take Allamah Aaloosi (Rahimullah), the great Mufassir, or Allama Ibn-e-Aabideen Al-Shaami (Rahimullah) who were both Hanafis. These are just a few names to provide as examples. If we take Salafis fatawa then we have to declare all of the Ulema of the past and of today as "innovators". Ma'adh Allah, what a terrible idea to even contemplate! There is one reward for a scholar if he decided about a masala erroneously, and there are two for making a correct assessment. People like us who are not very learned in the Usool and the Furu' of Deen must not make independent ijtihaad by reading a few books but leave it to the Mujtahideen who spent their entire lives researching and investigating these intricate matters. Walah-O-'Alam Bissawaab.

Comment

Working...
                    X