• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Muslims

Is pork forbidden in the Qu'ran, in a hadith,
    or both? Could you state why? Thankyou.

From the Qur'an.

[al-An`am 6:145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean -- or that which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

------------------
    This Space For Rent
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Does unclean mean more than the obvious? Do
      not other stock live similiar to swine? I am
      curious, I don't like pork much.

Comment

Tommasso, Do other livestock eat their own excrement and other foul food like swine do ??

Comment

I am several generations removed from my
          farmer forebearers and have no firsthand knowledge of livestock. Does Islam make any
          comment about "cloven hooved" animals? I
          think Judaism speaks about this. Thankyou.

Comment

Pork is clearly haram in Islam. That is its not allowed.

Confront a christian and ask em about pork. He/She will tell you its allowed to consume pork in christianity.

Then refer them to the following verses...

American Standard Bible
            -----------------------
            Book of Deutronomy 14:8 And the swine, because he parteth the hoof but cheweth not the cud, he is unclean unto you: of their flesh ye shall not eat, and their carcasses ye shall not touch.

Book of Leviticus 11:7-8 And the swine, because he parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, but cheweth not the cud, he is unclean unto you. Of their flesh ye shall not eat, and their carcasses ye shall not touch; they are unclean unto you.

The New International Version also has the same verses in the same place. I havnt checked any other version of the bible so im not aware if they have removed these verses from other versions.

The christians i confronted about these verses were more or less stumped.

Comment

Manian... nice work. I just checked the King James Version of Bible, because I suspect that is the most commonly used, and it has the same exact translation of the verses as you mentioned.

My problem is that most christians I meet here, openly say they are CEO christians. (CEO stands for "Christmas, Easter Only") Meaning they don't follow much of christianity as well.

Comment

I dont deserve credit for this. I just got an email forwarded to me about why pork is not allowed and why it is bad. Im gonna paste it here....

-----------------------------------------
                Assalaam alaykum.

Q. Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?

A.
                The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The
                following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork prohibited in Qur'an

Whatever be the arguments for and against, Muslim stick to whatever is
                ordered by God in the Quran.

The Qur'an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different
                places. It is prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

"Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and
                that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah." [Al-Qur'an
                5:3]

The above verses of the Holy Qur'an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to
                why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible

The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The
                Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

"And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he
                cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you".

"Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they
                are unclean to you." [Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy .

"And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is
                unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead
                carcass." [Deuteronomy 14:8]

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter
                65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases

Non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic
                and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types
                of diseases. A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm,
                hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which is in lay
                man's terminology called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very
                long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the
                organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it
                enters the heart it can cause heart attack, if it enters the eye it can
                cause blindness, if it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can
                damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Trichura Tichurasis. A common misconception
                about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research
                project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people
                suffering from Trichura Tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very
                well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under
                normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat.
                This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart
                attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from
                hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on
                muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has
                produced. In the villages they don't have modern toilets and the villagers
                excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in
                very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the
                pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them
                clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as
                their neighbour's excreta.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the
                only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. In America,
                most people consume pork. Many times after dance parties, they have swapping
                of wives; i.e. many say "you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your
                wife." If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs. Many people look upon
                America to be very advanced and sophisticated. Whatever they do, we follow
                after a few years. According to an article in Island magazine, this practice
                of swapping wives has become common in the affluent circles of Bombay

Comment

In fact, eating swine is often referred to as a punishment, if we read bible. In my search for swine in King James version, here are some interesting verses:

1Mac.1
                  [47] Set up altars, and groves, and chapels of idols, and sacrifice swine's flesh, and unclean beasts:

2Mac.6
                  [18] Eleazar, one of the principal scribes, an aged man, and of a well favoured countenance, was constrained to open his mouth, and to eat swine's flesh.

2Mac.7
                  [1] It came to pass also, that seven brethren with their mother were taken, and compelled by the king against the law to taste swine's flesh, and were tormented with scourges and whips.
                  An islamic perspective on "uncleanliness" of pig is as follows:

From Islam Q&A website
                  Question:
                  I read: Plates, spoons and knifes that have been in contact with pork must be washed 7 times with water and 1 time with sand. Is that right or not?Witch hadith this rule is based on? Is it not sufficient to wash the plates one time with soup?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Pork is haraam and it is not permissible to eat it, whether it is the meat, fat or any other part, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al‑Maitah (the dead animals — cattle — beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

The Muslims are agreed that all parts of the pig are haraam. Allaah has forbidden it because of the harmful things it contains and because it is impure, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maitah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure…”[al-An’aam 6:145]

Its meat is a disease, and the more people advance in knowledge, the more new diseases they discover, because of pork consumption.

Muslims should keep away from places where this filthy meat is eaten so that they will not eat anything of it without realizing.

With regard to washing plates, it is sufficient to wash them well with whatever will get rid of the filth of this meat.

Because the correct view is that the impurity caused by pork is like any other impurity; there is no need to wash it seven times, one of which should be with earth.
                  See al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 1/356. And Allaah knows best.

Comment

i dont accept the idea if you eat swine you will act like swine then people will eat tigers to be like tigers. tigers eating human
                    will start act like humans? i dont think
                    character of the animal is passed to the people who consume it.

Comment

What if chicken or other meat.. isnt cut by a Muslim.. or by Takin the name of Allah.. will it be harram or wht.. i mean can i eat at kfc here in usa..

Comment

Originally posted by TOMASSO: Does Islam make any comment about "cloven hooved" animals? I think Judaism speaks about this. Thankyou.[/B]
                        Ibrahim says: Greetings of Peace to one and all.

Dear TOMASSO,
                        To understand scripture we must transmigrate ourselves in the mind to the timeframe it was revealed. Thus older scriptures will have details that are a necessity for those people to understand the requirements, easily at that time frame, as they had not developed in terminology as we do today ..

What I am saying is that it was easier for men to be told look at the hoofs or their scales or the way they consumed thier food to identify what is approved and what is not, at one point in time, as not all of them knew the names of animals even or the names differed from tribe to tribe.

Thus newer revelations will not be using such terminology as men have now progressed to have elaborate names for each species and can identify them by name, universally.

Second, what ever was approved or disapproved for one set of people can be abrogated by God for another set of people as a trial or mercy for them .

Thus when we talk about animals as food, it was forbidden all together at the time of Prophet Adam (pbuh) up till Prophet Nuh (pbuh) . After that, God abrogated that law and gave the approval for their consumption (where some were approved and others disapproved by identifying them based on hoofs and method of diet the animals consumed in older scriptures. )

Which is why Hindus are mostly vegetarians due to following the tradition of Prophet Adam (pbuh) and prophet Nuh (pbuh) and failing to understand God abrogated that law.

Hope that helps

Regards
                        Ibrahim

It is not the weather cock that changes; it is the wind.

Comment

I myself, a christian american, have known all my life that the bible forbids the eating of the swine, it has never ceased to amuse me how most of the christians I know cook and eat hams from the pig especially at such religous holidays as christmas and easter......talk about mixed messages?????

Comment

Originally posted by moonrose:
                            I myself, a christian american, have known all my life that the bible forbids the eating of the swine, it has never ceased to amuse me how most of the christians I know cook and eat hams from the pig especially at such religous holidays as christmas and easter......talk about mixed messages?????
                            Ibrahim says: Greetings of peace to one and all

Dear Moonrose,

You are right, the message was indeed mixed and as such the church and christain priests teach a message other then what was conveyed to them through the Prophet and Messengers from God.

The man at the helm of this deceit is Paul, the Jew named Saul who hated Christ and conveyed a message that was the opposite of what Christ taught . His intent from what is conveyed in the Bible itself seems to be money, same as what the churches are doing even today.

Anyway Paul decided that there was a lot of money to be made by selling a pleasing message to the gentiles and that message which he invented, ended up as the focal point of the Catholics who have been led to believe …………..

Paul said:-

1 Corinthians 10:25. Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

26. If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

Whereas Christ killed pigs

Mark 5:12. The demons begged Jesus, "Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them."

13. He gave them permission, and the evil spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

And God said

Leviticus 11: 7. And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you.

8. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Thus in my understanding I have to blame the priest and preachers of Christianity for misleading its adherents and not following what is conveyed in their Bible.

In any case all of them have to account for disobeying their Creator and what a problem this will be for them is already conveyed by Christ.

Matthew 7: 21. "Not everyone who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

22. Many will say to me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'

23. Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

May God guide us to see the TRUTH before it is too late.

Best Regards
                            Ibrahim

Comment

ibrahim most of the christian world has
                              become secular by choice many christians
                              hvae the choice how to conduct their
                              personel lives. after all even in islam htere should not be compulsion.

Comment

Working...
                              X