Prayers in the Space Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers in the Space Station

I was just wondering if one of our Muslim brothers did get assigned to the space station oribiting the earth, what rules would he need to know for offering Namaz. Does anyone know a link where some scholars might have considered this issue or similar issues.

The texts mainstream Islam follows have all the solutions for problems confronted by 9th Century Arab/Persia. A space station is a little too much to ask.

Sooner or later some spoilt Saudi prince will prolly be the first one there.. and I don't think Allah in in need of exhibition prayers.

------------------
    This Space For Rent
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Simmer down PA, a very valid question, toward earth I suppose. When colonising planets I suppose prayer will be offered in earths direction.

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
        The texts mainstream Islam follows have all the solutions for problems confronted by 9th Century Arab/Persia. A space station is a little too much to ask.

Sooner or later some spoilt Saudi prince will prolly be the first one there.. and I don't think Allah in in need of exhibition prayers.

Hey, I thought the maintexts of 7th century were guides for all time. I am serious. Why can't there be a Muslim Astronaut? I assume that there will be one within a few years after the space station is completed. I am not trying to be offensive. I am interested in other topics where advances in science impact us as Muslims.

Comment

well, didn't a saudia prince already go into outer space? i remember seeing a pic of one when i was a kid.

as for the question, i've heard that the kaaba is on the Arsh (heavens) and Farsh (here) so the best advice given on ground was if u don't know where the kaaba is then pray where ur heart directs you to pray and the rest is left upto Allah.

------------------
          Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Courage is not the absence of fear but it is the will to go on.
          Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

What about Eid if a muslim is living on the moon. How will he know its Eid.

Comment

Hey, direction is one thing.. what about prayer times? Since there is no sun in space... which times do our poor astronaut follow... or will he be relying on the good ol' wrist watch?

Comment

Abdali: There is correspondence via satellite from earth to the destination. We have communication tools.

------------------
                Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

[This message has been edited by CocoNut (edited February 01, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pristine:
                  Hey, direction is one thing.. what about prayer times? Since there is no sun in space... which times do our poor astronaut follow... or will he be relying on the good ol' wrist watch?

well, if i were the astronaut i would pick the place where i was last and its timings and follow them.

------------------

Comment

Kennedy Space Station?

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:

Abdali: There is correspondence via satellite from earth to the destination. We have communication tools.

You celebrate Eid after seeing the moon. People living on the moon will be seeing the moon 7 X 24.

Comment

Ok Abdali, Pristine: same concept applied, i left Toronto by a shuttle rocket now I will follow Toronto's moonsighting and prayer timings.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
                          Ok Abdali, Pristine: same concept applied, i left Toronto by a shuttle rocket now I will follow Toronto's moonsighting and prayer timings.

Hmmmm what if you were born on the moon.

Comment

Come On, please take it seriously. Really space station is only a few years away. And there are many many questions that advances in science is throwing up that we are going to need to address.
                            I came across an article where some guys in Saudi A. had declared the telephone an instrument of Shaitan and forbidden its use. It is only after some marketing guy in Bell Labs suggested that the Shahadda be read over the phone to prove that it was not an evil instrument. We really do now want to deal with technology that way always. Do we? How about some serious analysis?

Comment

Pakistan could have the Ability to EXPAND its own Space Research program, but Unfortuantely LACKS the finance or facilities to do so. We know India is allocating Millions into thier own space research so its about time PAKISTAN follows suit. Maybe after Regional tensions are reduced Pakistan can create a Regional Space/Science Agency, maybe in collaboration with other countries EVEN India ! If the Russians and Americans can JOINTLY develop programs Why not Pakistanis and Indians ?? Well just a few things to think about. Instead of spending money on nukes this money can be wisely spent on Science Research which will be BENEFICIAL for all MANKIND !

BTW Talking about Science wheres Thap

Comment

Working...
                              X