X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed

Islam-qa.com #1027

Question:

what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115 (www.islam-qa.com)

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Question#:
    Question Date:
    1998-07-06
    Topic :
    Birthdays
    Question:
    It is a western to celebrate birthdays, is this against the Sunna or Qur'an for Muslims to celebrate other Muslim's birthdays?
    Answer:
    Dear Sr. N. As-salaamu alaykum. In Islamic Law, birthdays are not considered a Eid (or an Islamic official holiday) like the Eidul Fitr or Eidul Adha, because the formal holidays have conditions and guidelines such as not being allowed to fast during the Eid days. Therefore, birthdays are simply occasions of a person's birth date and are a matter of culture. If a person wants to commemorate his/her birth date, then he/she may do so, especially if he/she takes the opportunity to reflect on the past and pledge to be better during the next year. However, to make the birthday an important occasion is not very much recommended or encouraged. Thank you for asking and God knows best.
    Source:
    IslamiCity

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Comment

Can I celebrate my birthday?

huh... I'm all confused. esp after reading Islamicity's fatwa.

Comment

I don't find anything wrong in celebrating b-days so as much as it doesn't go to the extent of lavishly spending. Every birthday that comes by I just pray nafil to thank him for granting me life and if I have a little to give for charity I will; thats about it. These fatwa's are mind bggling. Just keep it simple or in other words in moderation.

------------------
        Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
        Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

yeah..

and working on a computer is bid'a too..

where will this jihalat end??

------------------
          This Space For Rent
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations.
            What?? And here I thought that bida'h only meant adding to the religion. Who says celebrating a birthday is adding to your religion? Surely Islam does not deny these little occassions to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
              I don't find anything wrong in celebrating b-days so as much as it doesn't go to the extent of lavishly spending. Every birthday that comes by I just pray nafil to thank him for granting me life and if I have a little to give for charity I will; thats about it. These fatwa's are mind bggling. Just keep it simple or in other words in moderation.

I agree .. sometimes these fatwas dont make much sense.. btw.. i like the idea of praying nifl shukranay on ur bday

Comment

Wait Wait Wait!

What about celebrating B-Day on Islamic Date, instead of Christian Date?

I mean, ok, once its decided celebrating birthdays is ok, isnt the next question:

"Should I celebrate my Islamic Birthdate or Christian Birthdate?"

And why not put this question before the allowed / not allowed question?

Comment

I agree with coco.

But the thing is, I think we should buy our Mom's gifts b/c of all that they have endured, besides those horrific 9 months. They do so much so we should thank them every day but especially on our birthdays.

Woo Hoo! now here's an incentive to becoming a mom. Can't wait to have a kid, just for the gifts!

Comment

Originally posted by Muni:
                    I agree with coco.

But the thing is, I think we should buy our Mom's gifts b/c of all that they have endured, besides those horrific 9 months. They do so much so we should thank them every day but especially on our birthdays.

Woo Hoo! now here's an incentive to becoming a mom. Can't wait to have a kid, just for the gifts!
                    Every day should be a special day to be kind to yr mum.

For whatever we do for our mothers will never be enough to what they did for us.

Fortunate are those who understand the importance of kindness to parents.

Comment

Working...
                    X