Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hafiz e Quran

Assalam o alaikum

Our new semester started a few days ago and we saw our new teacher of Islamic studies today. She has done PHD in i don't remmeber what and also appears on PTV frequently in "khawateen time" and a few programs like that. Today was introductory lecture and she was telling about her style of teaching and her views and ideas. She said many things but the one i felt most was about Hafiz-e-Qurans. According to her Hafiz e Quran is just like a parrot who crams everything. Then she asked if there was any hafiz e quran and two hands were raises. She said "Im not saying about particularly you, i know its an 'ART' but im talking generally".

Is this the way we should treat Hafiz e Qurans? Does a person just wastes 2 to 3 years when his intention is to save Allah's words in his heart?

Well, your teacher might be a bit derogatory in her remarks towards the 'hafiz e quran' but she is not totally incorrect in her perception.
    Most of the huffaz e quran atleast here in pakistan are totally illitrate and have no knowledge even of the Quran that they have memorized. If u dont know what u r memorizing then it doesnt matter if u memorize it or not. Its understanding Quran that is most important. So if someone is a hafiz and he also has deeper knowledge of Quran then he deserves to be praised. However, the knowledge of a "parrot" who crams the arabic text is of no use either to himself or to the society.

Comment

Personally, I do not feel her statement was appropriate.

I've done the same in that I have generalized in an inappropriate manner, however I admit my wrongdoing.

There are nice ways to say things, and the fact remains that a few encounters she may have had do not represent the whole lot of Qur'an Hafiz out there.

I find that it is even more inappropriate to say that infront of a class of students, and not her peers or friends.

Just my take on it, I realize others may object. *smile*

------------------
      Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another
      "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

we shud not degrade the hafiz-e-Quraan but to see many such ppl who have memorized Quranand yet do not understand any word from it makes one think that is memorizing the Quran more significant or understanding it????

and sadly many hafiz-e-Quran in pakistan r just "parrots"....
        not undrstanding any word they read, following it is far....
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

It is a great effort that relies behind remembering all the words og Quran. The problem just occurs when we see that a hafiz-e-Quran doesnt follow the Quran he has memorized.
          Mostly we expect more from ppl who have memorized Quran, but in fact they do not know the meaning of the Arabic lessons so how come they can follow it properly?????

Still, I find it as degrading others to call them parrots! In that case, we may all be parrots, who memorize different theories from different subjects....

------------------
          "Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny?"

Comment

I agree withh chutney it takes a lot to do hafiz. There r a lot of muslims out there that dont even know how 2 read the holy quran never mind doing hafiz.1st of all some kids do hafiz because there parents have pushed them in 2 doing it. Then there r those who r hafize-quran but thats it they dont live there life how the holy quran tells us 2. They dont know the meaning and so on.Then there is some people that do hafiz and know the meaning and live there life how the holy quran teaches us to live our life.I think there are stages in becoming a hafiz-e-quran some people go all the way some dont. True a lot of people dont complete all the stages but still it takes a lot just 2 become a parrot. She made a wrong statement in front of the class there r better ways 2 put this like muni said. Ask you teacher to just learn the first half of the first sapra in the holy quran that will show her how hard it is just 2 become a parrot.

Comment

I believe there are two different things.

Learning the Qur'an by heart is an act that gets a lot of ajr to the learner. I remember reading somewhere that several levels of ancestors go to Heaven. If not that, the parents and the child put in alot of effort into it, to learn Allah's words.

Understanding and following also has a lot of importance, may be even more.

But not to do one for the sake of the other and to criticise someone for having done something is not befitting a good Muslaim.

------------------
              Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Assalamo alikum

I agree with fact finder. Allah (swt) definetly gives reward in abundance to those who have memorised the Quran. In one hadith it said that the person who is a hifz would be made to sit on the thron which is embedded with pearls and rubies anf his crown would shine so bright that it would surpass the brightness of the sun. Alhumdolillah! But recitation without acting upon what you recite is what angers Allah (swt). As he (swt) says in surah an-nisa " we revealed to you the Qur'an so that you may judge between mankind". Hence the understanding of the Quran needs to taken so that it may be applied in the realm of life and not something which should be academic.
                Omar (ra) use to say that whenever he learnt the ayah which has been revealed, he would implement it and then learn another one.
                So the sole purpose in learning the Quran was to regulate the society and implment the laws of the Quran via the mechanism of the Islamic state.

Comment

Its the saying of Prophet Muhammad(SAW)

"aik waqt aisa aye ga, ke look Quran ko tooto ke terha perha kerainge, or baray achay tareeqay se , is ke kir'at kiya kerainge, laiken Quran un ke dilo mai na ho ga"

dont remmeber the source..

Im afraid this is a reality now ...

------------------
                  .::. FlameZz of Love .::.

Comment

Originally posted by FlameZz:
                    Its the saying of Prophet Muhammad(SAW)

"aik waqt aisa aye ga, ke look Quran ko tooto ke terha perha kerainge, or baray achay tareeqay se , is ke kir'at kiya kerainge, laiken Quran un ke dilo mai na ho ga"

dont remmeber the source..

Im afraid this is a reality now ...

yes i remeber this hadith, it says 'un ki masjidain hidayat say khali hoon gi, quran kay sirf alfaaz reh jaain gay, un kay ulema sub say badtareen makhlooq hoongay" this is about the state of muslims at the time of the coming of imam mahdi and jesus son of maryam AS.

Comment

As in all things it the intention that counts, i.e. why did the person choose to memorise the Quran.

Your teacher was right in the sense, that a hafiz e Quran, has a duty that extends beyond merely being able to recite the Quran, and that duty is that they must understand and abide by the words of Allah swt, that is something which is farz on all muslims, but because they carry the Quran within them, it is a greater farz on them.

But your teacher was wrong in passing judgement, none of us have the ability to see what lies in the hearts of others, we have no true knowledge of anyone but ourselves, and thus, we must refrain from passing judgement and making generalizations.

I just don't think its right for anyone to belittle the importance of memorising the Quran.

It can't be a waste of time, unless that person makes it so.

Comment

Working...
                      X