The words in the brackets (.........) in the Quran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The words in the brackets (.........) in the Quran

Quran was revealed in Arabic. By default, all of us should learn arabic, if for no other reason, than just to understand the word of our Creator. Unfortunately, most of us are not well-versed in Arabic. This brings us to the translations (or 'nearest translations') of Quran into a language which we understand, mainly English and Urdu.

Quran is translated by countless people in the last 1400 years. Many of them, obviously are/were learned scholars who, I assume, knew what they are doing.

In many places, in their translations, they put words in the brackets (...) to further explain a point. These 'additions', while they may clarify a point, can also cause a dispute if two scholars disagree on the intent. I am not talking about Tafseer, because Tafseer, by definition, is the opinion of a scholar and not the word of Allah. Instead I am talking about the words in English (or Urdu) in translation, which are presented as if the words of Allah (or to clarify Allah's thought process).

The question is, how important it is to consider/disregard these additional explanations (which are given in brackets)? When I read Quran in Arabic, I see no brackets used by Allah to make clarification points. Why do we do that in translation?

Agreed that the words in bracket are meant to explain as Arabic is a very rich language and it becomes difficult for the trasnlator to give a proper rendering in another language. Hence, he/she resorts to additions which are put in brackets.

If we ignore the words in bracket, the possibility of misunderstanding are increased, not reduced. If that were not the case the translators would not have added.

As far as tafseer is concerned, the translation part is like any other translation. The tafseer or explanationn is by way of notes and not in the body of the translation. There is a chance that people may be misled, the way I read your comment.

------------------
    Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

these words r put there by schpars who translated the Quranic verses to help the non-arabic speakers understand better what the verses mean....

word by word translation from any language to another is never good and since these additions (words in brackets) r made by people r not really in the arabic text, hence it is preferred to put them in brackets....

BUT we must see that those scholars who put them there were better than us in knowledge so if they did it, they must have had a good reason....

until u have better reasons to remove them cuz u cant take religion for granted....
      u MUST find out why things r the way they r....
      to make sure u dont follow any misconception....

may Allah give us all better understanding of His reigion....
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Working...
      X