X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The misguided sect of al-Qur’aaniyyeen

Question:

assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah
    There is a deviant group of people who claim to follow the Quran only, and not the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (SAW). Please provide us with scholarly proof that they are on the wrong path, so we can give them da'wah, Insha Allah.
    Wassalaam

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Some people have started to claim that the Sunnah is not a source of legislation. They call themselves al-Quraaniyyeen and say that we have the Quraan, so we take as halaal whatever it allows and take as haraam whatever it forbids. The Sunnah, according to their claims, is full of fabricated ahaadeeth falsely attributed to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). They are the successors of other people about whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us. Ahmad, Abu Dawood and al-Haakim reported with a saheeh isnaad from al-Miqdaam that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Soon there will be a time when a man will be reclining on his couch, narrating a hadeeth from me, and he will say, Between us and you is the Book of Allaah: what it says is halaal, we take as halaal, and what it says is haraam, we take as haraam. But listen! Whatever the Messenger of Allaah forbids is like what Allaah forbids. (Al-Fath al-Kabeer, 3/438. Al-Tirmidhi reported it with different wording, and said that it is hasan saheeh. Sunan al-Tirmidhi bi Sharh Ibn al-Arabi, al-Saawi edn., 10/132). The name al-Quraaniyyeen does not befit these people, because the Quraan tells us, in almost one hundred aayahs, to obey the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Obedience to the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is considered in the Quraan to be a part of obedience to Allaah, may He be glorified. He who obeys the Messenger, has indeed obeyed Allaah, but he who turns away, then we have not sent you (O Muhammad) as a watcher over them. [al-Nisa 4:80 interpretation of the meaning]. The Quraan, which they claim to follow, denies the faith of the one who refuses to obey the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and does not accept his ruling: But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission. [al-Nisa 4:65 interpretation of the meaning]

Their suggestion that the Sunnah is contaminated with fabricated ahaadeeth is not valid, because the scholars of this ummah took the utmost care to purify the Sunnah from all alien elements. If they had any doubts about the truthfulness of any narrator, or there was the slightest possibility that he could have forgotten something, this would be sufficient grounds for rejecting a hadeeth. Even the enemies of this ummah have stated that no other nation has paid so much attention to examining its reports and their narrators, especially in the case of reports narrated from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

For it to be obligatory to follow a hadeeth, it is sufficient for it to be known that it is a saheeh (authentic, sound) hadeeth narrated from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was content to convey his message by sending just one of his Companions, which proves that the hadeeth reported by one trustworthy person must be followed.

Moreover, we would ask these people: where are the aayaat which tell us how to pray, or which tell us that the obligatory prayers are five times daily, or which tell us about the nisaab on various kinds of wealth for the purpose of zakaah, or about the details of the rituals of Hajj, and other rulings which we can only know from the Sunnah?

Al-Mawsooah al-Fiqhiyyah, 1/44

For more information on the shar'i evidence that the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is a source of evidence, see Question # 604.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com) #3440

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Jazak ALlah khair, sister. Ignorance coupled with arrogance is the worst combination in a person. He/she then refuses to learn.

------------------
    Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Moreover, we would ask these people: where are the aayaat which tell us how to pray, or which tell us that the obligatory prayers are five times daily, or which tell us about the nisaab on various kinds of wealth for the purpose of zakaah, or about the details of the rituals of Hajj, and other rulings which we can only know from the Sunnah?
      Subhan Allah.. what Flawed Logic!

Rather than refer to the Qur'an for guidance, people uphold doctored accounts, the source of these corrupted practices, over the Final Testament trying to prove that the Qur'an is incomplete and requires man written books for it's explanation.

If one doesn't find current rituals in the Qur'an, does that make the Qur'an at fault or the current practices doubtful?

Would any literature containing details of current practices then override the Qur'an or any such book be examined and scrutinized in the light of the Qur'an and rejected immediately when it tries to add or subtract or change ANYTHING from the divine Message?

Remember when you challenge the Qur'an for not containing details of anything, you are challenging Allah's words which say explicitly that the Qur'an is Fully Detailed and has explanations of everything

[al-An`am 6:112] Likewise did We make for every Messenger an enemy,- evil ones among men and jinns, inspiring each other with flowery discourses by way of deception. If thy Lord had so planned, they would not have done it: so leave them and their inventions alone.

[al-An`am 6:114] Say: "Shall I seek for judge other than God? - when He it is Who hath sent unto you the Book, explained in detail." They know full well, to whom We have given the Book, that it hath been sent down from thy Lord in truth. Never be then of those who doubt.

[al-An`am 6:115] The word of thy Lord doth find its fulfilment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who heareth and knoweth all.

[al-An`am 6:116] Wert thou to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead thee away from the way of God. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie.

[an-Nahl 16:89] One day We shall raise from all Peoples a witness against them, from amongst themselves: and We shall bring thee as a witness against these (thy people): and We have sent down to thee the Book explaining all things, a Guide, a Mercy, and Glad Tidings to Muslims.

------------------
      This Space For Rent
      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

pakistaniabroad, do u DENY the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ????

no one says that Quran is incomplete, but u need to follow the Sunnah as well....
        the Quran itslef says "Say if u love Allah then follow me, All will love u"

in another verse it says "and verily there is the best example for you in the ways of the Prophet(pbuh)"

and if fools like u deny the Prophet's sayings, then u deny the Quran as well....

have u ever uinderstood what rank the Prophet holds before Allah and where it will lead u if u continue to deny him????
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
          Subhan Allah.. what Flawed Logic!
          chor kee darhee main tinka.

Rather than refer to the Qur'an for guidance, people uphold doctored accounts, the source of these corrupted practices, over the Final Testament trying to prove that the Qur'an is incomplete and requires man written books for it's explanation.
          The flaw is with your understanding. Can you quote one post in this forum where anybody has said what you have understood. This is a challenge for you.

If one doesn't find current rituals in the Qur'an, does that make the Qur'an at fault or the current practices doubtful?
          What current rituals are you talking about? Is this out of ignorance or do you have some agenda? Are salah, zakah and hajj current rituals? May Allah guide you.

Remember when you challenge the Qur'an for not containing details of anything, you are challenging Allah's words which say explicitly that the Qur'an is Fully Detailed and has explanations of everything

Again challenge for you to prove that any Muslim on this forum has challenged the Qur'an, except you.

The ayaat you quoted had no relevance so I have not commented on them.

------------------

Comment

pakistaniabroad, do u DENY the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ????
            No.

no one says that Quran is incomplete,
            but u need to follow the Sunnah as well
            there u go, in one sentence you stated a point and negated it yourself.

the Quran itslef says "Say if u love Allah then follow me, All will love u"

in another verse it says "and verily there is the best example for you in the ways of the Prophet(pbuh)"
            Well let's add you to that 'list' with Mr. a1shah for not quoting the Qur'anic verses with proper reference of surah and ayat number. Try again.

and if fools like u deny the Prophet's sayings, then u deny the Quran as well
            I deny Hadees given by the likes of Bukhari.. u deny the Qur'an given by the Prophet himself. Who's denying the Prophet now?

have u ever uinderstood what rank the Prophet holds before Allah and where it will lead u if u continue to deny him????
            Have you? Do you know we are told to make NO distinction among the Prophets of Allah? Are you in denial of this Qur'anic Verse??

[al-Baqarah 2:136] Say ye: "We believe in God, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to God (in Islam)."

Do you believe this verse from the Qur'an or not. Yes or No?

--------------------------
            This Space For Rent

[This message has been edited by PakistaniAbroad (edited January 20, 2002).]

Comment

Can you quote one post in this forum where anybody has said what you have understood. This is a challenge for you.
              Read the subject post.

Moreover, we would ask these people: where are the aayaat..
              If this is not challenging the Qur'an and declaring it incomplete. Nothing is.

What current rituals are you talking about? Is this out of ignorance or do you have some agenda? Are salah, zakah and hajj current rituals? May Allah guide you.
              Yes. i'm talking about how people have added and distorted these obligations and declared the changes mandatory and these 'rituals' invalid unless the additions are perforemd too.

Again challenge for you to prove that any Muslim on this forum has challenged the Qur'an, except you.
              I challenge you to prove that I have challenged the Qur'an.

I have provided the quote from the subject post where the author challenges to bring 'verses from the Qur'an' to satisfy current practices.

The ayaat you quoted had no relevance so I have not commented on them.
              why am I not surprised.. Why are verses from the Book of Allah always irrelevant to the likes of you? Yes.. you can cut and paste dubious hadees like a pro and this forum is so well suited for that.

------------------
              This Space For Rent

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                I wrote
                Can you quote one post in this forum where anybody has said what you have understood. This is a challenge for you.
                and you replied.
                Read the subject post.
                and you quoted:
                Moreover, we would ask these people: where are the aayaat.. .
                And then you said

If this is not challenging the Qur'an and declaring it incomplete. Nothing is.
                When a heart is turned into stone no reasoning or explanation can heal it. The only healing is from Allah.

Your problem is that you wear blinders and can only see what is in your mind-set. You cannot understand the correct point of view. The line you have quoted from the subject post raised my following comment to your assertions and I quote:
                Your response below evaded my specific questions. This shows either total lack of knowledge or the arrogance to stick to your views irrespective.

Yes. i'm talking about how people have added and distorted these obligations and declared the changes mandatory and these 'rituals' invalid unless the additions are perforemd too.
                Instead of replying to my questions and meeting the challenges, you have written:

I challenge you to prove that I have challenged the Qur'an.
                Very easy, but you won't understand. However, I will show where you have refused to go by the Qur'an. In several places the Qur'an is very clear in saying atee Allaha wa atee ar Rusul. Here atee Allaha means follow the Qur'an, and atee ar Rusul means what the Rasool has left in the form of his Sunnah.

If you do not agree, tell us what you believe and bring daleel. Also, as I asked you earlier, tell us how you pray, how much zakat you pay and how would you perform hajj.

why am I not surprised.. Why are verses from the Book of Allah always irrelevant to the likes of you? Yes.. you can cut and paste dubious hadees like a pro and this forum is so well suited for that.
                The ayah you quoted were irrelevant. The message I tried to convey to you is quite different to what you have understood. And, your subsequent statement shows the state of your mind. Anybody who hurls alegations instead of presenting dalail to prove his point has lost before he completes his submission.

------------------

[This message has been edited by FactFinder (edited January 20, 2002).]

Comment

In several places the Qur'an is very clear in saying atee Allaha wa atee ar Rusul. Here atee Allaha means follow the Qur'an, and atee ar Rusul means what the Rasool has left in the form of his Sunnah.
                  Really?? where does the verse say that the word Qur'an=Allah and Rasool=Sunnah??

Isn't it your own or someone elses understanding of the verse?

Well my understanding of the verse is more true to the spirit of the Qur'anic message.

I've explained it before, but I'll make the effort again. The word Rasool has been intentionally used. Make no mistake, Allah uses words for a reason. Throughout the Book, Allah says atee ur Rasool. NOT ONCE does He say atee ul Nabi.

But alas people don't ponder on these verses

[Sad 38:29] (It is) a Book We have revealed to you abounding in good that they may ponder over its verses, and that those endowed with understanding may be mindful

PakistaniAbroad: The word Prophet has been used to address directly the person. The word Messenger refers to the task being done by the Prophet, which is conveying the message.

Hence when Allah tells us to obey the messenger it implies that we are to obey the message which the messenger was supposed to convey. And that's ALL the messenger was supposed to do.

[an-Nur 24:54] Say: Obey Allah and obey the messenger; but if you turn back, then on him rests that which is imposed on him and on you rests that which is imposed on you; and if you obey him, you are on the right way; and nothing rests on the messenger but clear delivering (of the message).

Had Allah willed us to emulate how the Prophet brushed his teeth, He would have used the word Prophet instead. Allah doesn't run out of words.

[Luqman 31:27] And were every tree that is in the earth (made into) pens and the sea (to supply it with ink), with seven more seas to increase it, the words of Allah would not come to an end; surely Allah is Mighty, Wise.

Also, as I asked you earlier, tell us how you pray, how much zakat you pay and how would you perform hajj.
                  What is this.. the Inquisition? Rather than ask me how I perform my obligations, why don't you bring proof that what you do in the guise of religious practices is sanctioned by none other than Allah in His Book.

Reconcile your acts with The Book, not the other way around.

The ayah you quoted were irrelevant.
                  Twice you call Qur'anic verses irrelevant without explanining yourself. Indulge me, why are these verses irrelevant? Do we need some maulana to come and declare them relevant or conjure up some obscure 'tafseer' thus rendering the message ineffective?

--------------------------
                  This Space For Rent

[This message has been edited by PakistaniAbroad (edited January 20, 2002).]

Comment

I dont think anyone is contesting the Quranic Ayaahs. For doing so would be nothing short of ultimate shirk.

Rather what they mean to say is that you need to follow the Quran AS WELL AS the sunnah.

The Quran gives u the code of life, and much of the sunnah explains it or expands on it.

Arguing on such topics can lead one to accidently in a fit of rage say something that he/she might regret on the day of judgement, or in the grave. So lets stray clear of these ok ?

Pakistani Abroad, you do have to accept sunnah as an essential part of islam. There are many laws and rulings not entirely clear in the Quran, and the sunnah elaborates on them. Aside from that there are rulings given only in the sunnah.

The way of the Prophet(pbuh) is explained for the most part in the Sunnah, and as Allah says in the Quran "and verily there is the best example for you in the ways of the Prophet(pbuh)"

How would u know the way of the Prophet without understanding the Sunnah written down by scholars like Bukhari and Muslim ?

I dont mean to be rude in the above message..so please dont take it that way.

Allah and his messenger know best.

Comment

sorry pakistaniaborad, i do not consider it wise to provide u with the verse # because i wud rather see u making stupid, arrogant remarks on what i say then having u ridicule the aayaat of the Quran, as u do with the sayings of the Holy Prophet (pbuh)....

but u shud think that the same Prophet whose words (hadith) u deny has brought to u the Quran revealed unto him by Allah....
                      and the Quran says (go see the Quran and find the source, if u know the Quran. u wud know where i pick the verse from):

By the Star when it goes down
                      Your Companion (referring to the Prophert Muhammad) is neither astray nor being misled
                      Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.
                      It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:
                      He was taught by one mighty in Power
                      Endued with Wisdom: For he appeared (in stately form)
                      While he was in the highest part of the horizon:

ask me if u dont see in these verses where Allah tells us of the rank of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and ask me if u dont see where Allah tells u in the Quran that the words of the Prophet r not meant for ridicule and ask me if u dont see in these verses why the words of the Prophet (his hadith) r smiliar to the words of the Quran (the inspirtion or Wahee as it is called in the aayaat)....
                      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

and dont give me some flawed logic that the sources of the Hadith and the people who have conveyed it to us r not TRUSTWORTHY because these same people have passed forward to us the Quran as well....

and when Allah promised to save the Quran, he did not mean to reveal it every next year to keep it in its unaltered form, but He did it throught the purified hearts of these noble men who carried on with them the words of Allah and the words of His Prophet (pbuh)....

Comment

FactFinder
                          armughal
                          - Representing Gadhays of Religion and Pakistan Affair Forums -

Comment

Assalamualaikum.

Usually peiopl who are part of this "cult" use on made-up translations of quran and would post long convoluted points as opposed to short ones that can easily be replied.

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                              I've explained it before, but I'll make the effort again. The word Rasool has been intentionally used. Make no mistake, Allah uses words for a reason. Throughout the Book, Allah says atee ur Rasool. NOT ONCE does He say atee ul Nabi.
                              Can you enlighten us as to what you are trying to say. To me it seems like unintelligible jabber.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X