Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging verses of the Quran on walls

Question:

When visiting muslims, I noticed that many of them put verses of the Qur'an on the walls or pictures with the names Allah and Mohammed. I know a lot of muslims think that it is good to do so because it will protect them and their house. Personally, I consider it a form of shirk or superstition. Is there any ruling on that subject?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Hanging plaques and cloths containing aayaat of the Qur’aan in homes, schools, social clubs and places of business, involves a number of reservations and prohibitions according to Islam, such as the following:

(1) In most cases, hanging such things on the wall is done for purposes of decoration and adornment, as the aayaat etc. are written in calligraphy and colourful brocade. This is an inappropriate use of the Qur’aan, as it was revealed to guide people and to be read regularly. The Qur’aan was not revealed to decorate walls, but to guide mankind.

(2) Some people hang up such things for “blessing” - which is a form of bid‘ah. The blessing as described in Islam comes from reading or reciting the Qur’aan, not from hanging it up or placing it on shelves or turning it into artwork and three-dimensional images.

(3) This is contrary to the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs (al-Khulafaa’ al-Raashidoon), may Allaah be pleased with them, who never did such a thing. The best way is to follow them, not to introduce bid‘ah. History tells us that in places such as Andalusia, Turkey, etc., the adornment of houses and mosques with ornate carvings of aayaat only happened at times when the Muslims were weak and humiliated.

(4) Hanging up such pictures or plaques could lead to shirk, because some people think that these things are amulets that will protect the house and its people from evil and disease. This is shirk and is haraam, because the One Who really offers protection is Allaah, may He be glorified, and one of the means of gaining His protection is sincere recitation of the Qur’an and du‘aa’s taught in the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

(5) There is the risk that the Qur’aan may be used, in such cases, as a means of promoting one’s business or increasing one’s earnings. The Qur’aan should be protected from being used for such purposes. It is well-known that the production and sale of these pictures and plaques involves a great deal of extravagance and wasting money.

(6) Many of these plaques are painted with real gold, which makes using them and hanging them up even more haraam.

(7) Many of these plaques involve a kind of carelessness, because the letters are twisted into complex designs that are of no benefit to anyone because they are barely legible. Sometimes words are fashioned into the shape of a bird or a man prostrating, and similarly forbidden pictures of animate beings.

(8) Ayaat and soorahs of the Qur’aan are exposed to misuse and abuse by this practice. For example, when moving house, they are piled up with the rest of the furniture and belongings, and other objects may be placed on top of them. This also happens when they are taken down so that the wall may be painted or cleaned.

(9) Some Muslims whose observance of Islam is lacking put these plaques and pictures up so that they can feel that they are doing something religious, in order to reduce their feelings of guilt – in spite of the fact that this practice does not help them in any way.

All in all, we must close the doors of evil and follow the leaders of guidance of the early centuries of Islam, whose people the Prophet (peace be upon him) testified were the best of the Muslims in faith and practice. If someone were to say, “We are not going to abuse it or make it a decoration or exaggerate about it, we only want to remind people (about their religion) in our gatherings”, our response would be: if we look at real life, will we find that this is what actually happens? Do people really remember Allah? Do they even read these aayaat when they raise their heads?

What really happens is the opposite: people go against the words hanging over their heads, they still tell lies, engage in gossip, make fun of others and do and say evil things. Even if we assume that there are some who do benefit from these plaques etc., the fact is that they are very few, and this does not change the hukm (Islamic ruling) on the matter.

The Muslims must turn to the Book of Allaah, read it and recite it, and act in accordance with it. We ask Allaah to make the Qur’aan a light of guidance for us, and a means of removing our grief and anxiety. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

------------------
    "There is no responsibility on us except conveying the truth".
    -S. Abul A'la Maududi

This struck as a shock to me that we now can't hang Ayah's or Images of the Holy Shrines namely Mecca or Medina.

Now in response to this question I wonder how come Surah's and Ayah's are up on Mecca and Medina on walls?

I keep Ayah's on my walls read and be reminded and yes also for covering wall space better than having pictures of something which prevents the angels from coming in. On the other hand I have pictures of the Kaba and Medina because I like to be reminded most of the time where serenity lies.

Care to rebutt?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
      This struck as a shock to me that we now can't hang Ayah's or Images of the Holy Shrines namely Mecca or Medina.

I never heard bout this before too. But it makes sense, at least for me it does.

It doesn't say any where, that u can't hang "holy shrines".

========================================
      Now in response to this question I wonder how come Surah's and Ayah's are up on Mecca and Medina on walls?

As far as I can remember, the walls only have Allah 'n Mohammed(PBUH) written on 'em.
      Why do they have 'em, I have no idea..
      hmm..but it's obvioulsy for decoration, which is a "bidah according to the scholar who answered this question.

====================================

I keep Ayah's on my walls read and be reminded

why on the walls??...shouldn't they always be in your heart???

and yes also for covering wall space better than having pictures of something which prevents the angels from coming in.

Why cover walls at all??..

==========================================
      On the other hand I have pictures of the Kaba and Medina because I like to be reminded most of the time where serenity lies.

'n again this is not bout pictures of kabba etc.

Also I think it depends on your "neeyat"..if it's not for wall decoration or adornment (read: 1,6) maybe it's ok...Allah know's best

Further I suggest, go 'n read the "answer" again....or ask a scholar, if still confused.

------------------
      "There is no responsibility on us except conveying the truth".
      -S. Abul A'la Maududi

Comment

The Origins of the Practise

Q: In the Sunni and also Shiah cults, among the other cultish things they do is to hang arabic writing on the wall. They say it is holy writing. Is it correct?

A: If the Quran had been revealed in Japanese - we would have Japanese calligraphy all over the walls!!

People also hang up the words Allah and Muhammad on the walls of houses, in the mosques, inside their cars, at the entrance to their homes and everywhere.

The shiahs also hang up the name of Ali.

Some among the Sunni cult also write arabic writing on pieces of paper and hang it on their necks, tie to their waist, tie to their wrists and so one. When they run amok in the streets they tie the holy arabic writing around their foreheads. We have seen all this on TV (remember Indonesian folks?)

Sometimes they write with ink in Arabic holy writing on a plate or bowl, pour some water into the bowl or plate and then drink the solution. Once in a while they die from lead poisoning from the ink. This is very common in India, Pakistan, the Middle East and Malaysia.

Some Sunni houses will have some arabic holy writing hanging over the entrance or just inside the house. Some choose the Bismillah, Ayat-al Kursi, the Quls etc etc. They think these will bring them falah, blessings, avoid bad luck, chase away evil and other such nonsense.

[b]ALL this is a major blasphemy or shirk. But they do not know because they never follow the Qur'an.

And what do they follow, ladies and gentlemen?

You guessed it - they follow the Bible.

The major shirk or heresy committed is hanging the name of the prophet beside the name of God in the mosque. They say they are not calling on the prophet when they hang his name on the wall; it's merely out of respect. If they know the Prophet's true teaching they will know the following:

[al-Jinn 72:18] "And the places of worship are only for Allah, so call not unto anyone along with Allah."

But anyway, this is wasted wisdom on them. They get most of their stuff from the Bible- influenced traditions. They don't care much about the Quran.

The Bible says:

[Deut 6: 6] And these words which I command you this day shall be upon your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. And you shall TIE THEM as a sign upon your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes (TIE on your forehead).

[Deut 6: 9] And you shall WRITE THEM on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

The Bible teaches these people to tie the holy words on their wrists, their foreheads, tie it to your doorposts, entrance to your house etc, and they dutifully follow the Bible.

The purpose of putting holy writing on the wall, according to the Bible is to attract blessings:

[Deut 11:20 - 21 ] And you shall WRITE THEM UPON the doorposts of your house and upon your gates, that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens are above the earth.

And this is exactly what some in the Sunni and Shia cults say - hanging up arabic writing on the wall will bring blessings, good luck, good fortune, angel visitations and other such rubbish.

There is no such teaching in the Qur'an.

------------------
        This Space For Rent
        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Shias and sunnis are not cults. The word cult has different connotation which I consider derogatory.

------------------
          Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

>>And this is exactly what some in the Sunni and Shia cults say - hanging up arabic writing on the wall will bring blessings, good luck, good fortune, angel visitations and other such rubbish.<<
            This is interesting. Pakistaniabroad, if both Sunnis and Shias are 'cults', who do you consider as correct/pure Muslims?
            Personally I think you are misinterpreting the Ayath or whatever that says place nobody besides Allah. Obviously it is meant as an assertion of monotheism.
            I consider your point of view a little odd, because many Muslims I know give a lot of prominence to Prophet Mohammed.

Comment

Shias and sunnis are not cults. The word cult has different connotation which I consider derogatory.
              cult

1. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

2. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.

sect

1. A group of people forming a distinct unit within a larger group by virtue of certain refinements or distinctions of belief or practice.

2. A religious body, especially one that has separated from a larger denomination.

3. A faction united by common interests or beliefs.

That which was the religion of Moses is the ceremonial or cult of the religion of Christ. --Coleridge.

Where there is no shame in belonging to man made groups that divide a divine religion, there shouldn't be sensitivities at being called the same

------------------
              This Space For Rent

Comment

who do you consider as correct/pure Muslims?
                [Ha Mim Sajdah 41:33] And who speaks better than he who calls to Allah while he himself does good, and says: I am surely of those who submit?

Personally I think you are misinterpreting the Ayath or whatever that says place nobody besides Allah. Obviously it is meant as an assertion of monotheism.
                PakistaniAbroad: The qur'anic verse couldn't be more clear. It mentions mosques and it mentions that they are for Allah's worship ALONE

I consider your point of view a little odd, because many Muslims I know give a lot of prominence to Prophet Mohammed.
                [al-Baqarah 2:285] The Apostle believeth in what hath been revealed to him from his Lord, as do the men of faith. Each one (of them) believeth in God, His angels, His books, and His apostles. "We make no distinction (they say) between one and another of His apostles." And they say: "We hear, and we obey: (We seek) Thy forgiveness, our Lord, and to Thee is the end of all journeys."

[an-Nisa' 4:152] As for those who believe in GOD and His messengers, and make no distinction among them, He will grant them their recompense. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

------------------
                This Space For Rent

Comment

>>"We make no distinction (they say) between one and another of His apostles."<<
                  So who are these other 'Apostles'.
                  If you are right and there can be no distinction between them, why folllow Mohammed alone which I understand is the corner stone of Islam?

Comment

So who are these other 'Apostles'.
                    [ash-Shura 42:13] The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah - that which We have sent by inspiration to thee - and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than God, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them. God chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him).

If you are right and there can be no distinction between them, why folllow Mohammed alone which I understand is the corner stone of Islam?
                    [al-Baqarah 2:87] We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of apostles; We gave Jesus the son of Mary Clear (Signs) and strengthened him with the holy spirit. Is it that whenever there comes to you an apostle with what ye yourselves desire not, ye are puffed up with pride?- Some ye called impostors, and others ye slay!

[al-Baqarah 2:135.5] They say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be guided (To salvation)." Say thou: "Nay! (I would rather) the Religion of Abraham the True, and he joined not gods with God."

[al-Baqarah 2:136] Say ye: "We believe in God, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to God (in Islam"

[al-Baqarah 2:137] So if they believe as ye believe, they are indeed on the right path; but if they turn back, it is they who are in schism; but God will suffice thee as against them, and He is the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing.

--------------------------
                    This Space For Rent

[This message has been edited by PakistaniAbroad (edited January 20, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                    X