Protected by the book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protected by the book

I've noticed in all eastern marriages (i've been to) that the bride when leaving from the matrimony to her new house has the Quran over her head.

I never understood if it was just something innovated or which is customary in our religion.

Someone wanna fill me in on this?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Anyone?

Saadia a.k.a Ms. Encylopedia Islamica?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

never seen or even heard of any such practise....
      so, no comments....
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

never seen or even heard of any such practise
        You may be totally out of touch with the Pakistani Wedding Scene. It is a very prevalent practice among Sunni Muslims at least.

------------------
        This Space For Rent
        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

It is from lack of knowledge that the Qur'an was used as a sort of good luck charm. It was used in all sorts of ways, when a child was going to give an exam, when a person was going for an interview, when a bride was being sent with the bridegroom, etc. With knowledge, Alhumdo Lillah such practices are decreasing.

The reason Shias don't do it is because they doubt the Qur'an and give more importance to their 'imam zamin'. So much for lack of knowledge. Brother armughal has said earlier that he has not been to Pakistan and is following Islam, Alhumdo Lillah. He need not be aware of local practices.

------------------
          Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Actually I have seen this practice among Shias and haven't noticed it among the sunnis I know... So I think this is something that depends on family customs.

Comment

Working...
            X