Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swearing (Oath)

Fwd'ing

'Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu'.

Ibn-e-‘Umar (RA) found 'Umar (RA) in a group of people and he was swearing by his father.

So Allah's Apostle (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) called them, saying, "Verily! Allah forbids you to swear by your fathers. If one has to take an oath, he should swear by Allah or otherwise keep quiet."

(Sahih Al-Bukhari)

Swearing by any person including all the Prophets (peace and blessings of Allah be upon them), angels, righteous people and all other created beings is haraam. It is a form of shirk, because swearing by something implies veneration of it, and a created being cannot venerate another created being. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) also said: "Whoever swears by anything other than Allah is guilty of kufr or shirk." (Ahmad, Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi).

Swearing often without any significant reason, and saying "Wa'Allahi" (by Allah) every now and then are inappropriate actions, too. Also, false swearing is the action which can make one the dweller of Hell.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: He who appropriated the right of a Muslim by (swearing a false) oath, Allah would make Hell-fire necessary for him and would declare Paradise forbidden for him.

A person said to him: O Messenger of Allah, even if it is something insignificant? He (the Prophet) replied: (Yes) even if it is the twig of the arak tree.

(Sahih Muslim Hadith)

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)
Working...
X