Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to pray namaaz

assalamu alaikum,
    i am new to this so please apologies for my ignorance..
    iam slowly embracing islam and unfortunately am struggling to find any books on performing salaat..the books i have found all appear to be aimed at people who already have knowledge on salaat. something explaining in laymans terms for beginners ie what dua to read and the differenec between fard, sunnat and witr and what to read in each..i would be grateful if there are any links to websites or any other help.

Salam
    Welcome to islam, I wish ur embracing islam will give u a positive change in life

Fard is obligatory. Sunnah is what the prophet (pbuh) performed, but is not neccesarily obligaotory. Witr is the conluding prayer of the day.

Thats very short definition, and I will find some good websites and put it up to you.

May Allah bless you

------------------
    -------------------------
    "Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny?"

Comment

Walaikum Assalaam. There are several helpful websites regarding the correct manner of performing prayers. It may seem confusing at first, but just remember - everyone struggles to perfect her/his prayers, no one is born an expert at this.

Following is a list of some websites:
      http://www.geocities.com/teachmesalaat [has an illustrated beginner's guide for salaat] http://convertstoislam.org [provides some free literature regarding Islam] http://members.aol.com/MuttaqunOL/salah.html [step-by-step instructions regarding how to perform salaat] http://www.ummah.org.uk/software/cyber [I haven't tried this myself yet, but this website has 'Cyber Salaat' - a free multimedia program that teaches how to perform salaat; let me know if you try it and it doesn't seem to work on your computer]

Regarding 'fard' prayer - fard essentially means obligatory. These are the basic fard prayers that Muslims are required to perform: Fajr: 2; Zuhr: 4; 'Asr: 4; Maghrib: 3; 'Isha: 4.

Sunnah prayers are additional prayers that one should add on to for additional sawaab/blessings; these were strictly observed by Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Nafl prayers are wholly non-obligatory and may be performed as often as one wishes. Following is a list of sunnat and fard prayers:

Fajr - 2 sunnah, 2 fard
      Zuhr - 4 sunnah, 4 fard, 2 sunnah
      Asr - 4 fard
      Maghrib - 3 fard, 2 sunnah
      Isha - 4 fard, 2 sunnah

Witr prayer consists of 3 rakats, performed after your Sunnats for Isha. Witr prayer should be the last prayer you perform at night. It differs from the other prayers in the manner that, in its third rakat, you are supposed to recite what is termed as Dua Qunoot: http://muslim-canada.org/elementary_2c.html#9wajib

[This message has been edited by Nadia_H (edited January 14, 2002).]

Comment

I know of a web site which I usually consult whenever I need to. The initiator of that site is a converted american muslim. His name is Yusuf estes. The content available on that site is reliable and valid. Secondly, he has expalined things in a very simple manner. I hope that site will help. The web address is:
        www.IslamToday.com/

Apart from reading, I'll suggest you to contact any nearby mosque. The Imam will be able to clear your concepts and make you "integrate" Islam in your daily life.

------------------
        You see, one thing is, I can live with doubt and uncertainty and
        not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing
        than to have answers which might be wrong.
        I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a
        mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me.

Comment

You should read the book 'The Prophet's Prayer Described'.

Comment

Salam Palimans

I can see there are some good websites shown above.
            You can also find info at www.islam.com

I really think that u should study offline material as well, as one has to be very critical to the websites, since some of them have turn out to be propoganda against islam, so please be aware of that fact

------------------
            "Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny?"

Comment

palimans,

read the various hadith compilations which have sections dedicated to Salaat.

According to some people here these books can teach you how to pray the salaat from scratch.

------------------
              This Space For Rent
              JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Working...
              X