Is it allowed to use nuclear weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it allowed to use nuclear weapons?

According to Islam, is it allowed to use nuclear bombs or other weapons of mass destruction?

In any such case, there are chances that many innocent people will die. (Innocent in the sense that they are civilians).

So, what is the consensus?

not allowed.

Comment

So you agree to the statement that "It is ok to have nuclear weapons, because it deters the enemies of Islam, however a muslim nation should never use such weapons because they kill innocent civilians".

Thinking out loud, if our enemies know our position on this topic, then the deterrance factor of nuclear weapons will clearly lose its purpose, because our enemies will know that we will not use them.

Or are there exceptional situations where a muslim is allowed to use such weapons? Like extreme danger or attack by enemy? May be.

[This message has been edited by Pristine (edited January 10, 2002).]

Comment

Islam does allow civilian casualties if it occurs in the course of an attack that is detrimental to the enemy's military capacity.
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Nomaan,pls confirm ur statement backed by islamic evidenses (Quran and sunnah).

Comment

Khalifah saheb... why don't you also give it a shot? I am sure we will all appreciate your view-point or that; or a scholar of your choice.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT:
              Islam does allow civilian casualties if it occurs in the course of an attack that is detrimental to the enemy's military capacity.
              would you mind supporting your notion with recommendation from Prophet PBUH or Quran?

------------------
              May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

You know I was just thinking; the last war between the believers and non-believers (note: I didn't say muslims because there are others who believe in the oneness of Allah) will fight the most primal war. It will be on foot and animals with swords.

I believe we would have advanced so much by that time that one drop of a destructive bomb will obliterate everything. So it would only make sense to have a fair fight.

Well coming back to topic. Nuclear war, have u seen the deformities, the casualties, the crops deteriorated. Do you think Islam would allow us to use such a weapon of destruction? Why mass killing? Your killing innocent people too.

------------------
                Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
                Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

I dont think its fair to associate deformities or crop destruction with nuclear weapons alone.

Fact is, any weapon out there is capable of inflicting the kind of damage that a nuclear weapon can. With a nuclear weapon, you kill 100,000 people in one shot, and with a pistol, you kill 100,000 people with 100,000 shots.

Weapons are the same across the board, regardless of their intensity. Its all about the way they are used, and the responsibility associated with it. Islam encourages muslims to arm themselves to the best of their abilities in order to overpower their foes. So if my enemy has a nuclear weapon, I'll make sure I have 2.

Innocent civilians die even with airguns, so it all boils down to responsible use of a weapon.

Comment

Well, I am not a religious scholar or anything, however my feeling was that Islam encourages targetted weapons. Those where you know who you are going to target, and avoid using weapons where there is a wide expectation of death of innocent civilians.

So, if a military commander orders to drop a bomb on enemy lines, he knows it will kill enemy soldiers, as opposed to dropping a nuclear weapon over a city. In the latter case many civilians will also die. Infact, perhaps the purpose of nuclear weapons is to instill a fear of civilian casualities on a massive scale, rather than targetted military deaths.

Also biological weapons are usually targetted towards unsuspecting civilians (like poisoning the water supply or dropping bacterial bombs, which spread disease).

I assume this question comes in the broad category of "Ethics of War", from a muslim perspective. I am sure there is lots of guidance available from religious scholars to help aid the governments, scientists and military commanders about the fiqha masaail of such weapons. If not, then maybe its time we start thinking about it.

As muslims our ultimate aim is not to win a war, but rather to be successful in this life for a success in the hereafter.

Comment

Pristine..

Virtually any weapon can cause what has now become the commonly known phrase of 'collateral damage'. Civilian casualties are not caused by weapons, they are caused by the people who fire them. The weapons simply do what they are designed to do.

When people talk of nuclear weapons, the only thing that comes to mind is Hiroshima/Nagasaki, since they are the only two available practical applications of this weapon. However, with responsible use, nuclear weapons can be made to inflict controlled and targeted damage. Tactical strikes are more the name of the game today, rather than widespread damage.

However, if we use weapons indiscriminately, similar to what we have seen in the current war against Afghanistan, then yes, you virtually know before you even fire a gun that you are almost certainly going to kill innocent civilians with this shot.

Take for instance the daisy cutter bomb, which is composed of nothing more than 15,000lbs of hardened metal, kerosene slush, and a fuse. Seems pretty trivial compared to a nuclear bomb, right? almost like something u could make at home! But in fact, it tortures its victims to death within a one mile radius, by denying them oxygen, which results in heavy internal bleeding, bursting open of ones internal organs, resulting in death. So you see, a kerosene + metal bomb can be as devastating and indiscriminate as a carefully prepared nuclear bomb.

Weapons are indiscriminate across the board. Its all about how you use them.

Comment

I think of it this way.

The only time a Muslim country will use a nuclear weapon will be if another country nuclear bombs it, right?

And the only time a non-muslim country will use a nuclear bomb is if the fight has escalated to a big fight, right? Like WW2.

Now, I still think a Muslim country should not do tit-for-tat on a nuclear missile.

Right now Pakistani army is sitting on top of their missiles, ready to reply in their neighbour fires. What about the Muslims that will die in India if that happens?

Nuclear missile should be a big "No". Right now. And if you are worried that if we don;t use nuclear missiles and hence the muslims can be eradicated from this world, by nucler weapons of other countries, that is not that case, since Allah won't want that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                          would you mind supporting your notion with recommendation from Prophet PBUH or Quran?

Certainly. Study the events of the siege of Taif, where Khalid Bin Al-Walid fired catapults into the city of Taif. The city's warriors had fortified themselves behind the walls. Catapults were fired into the city, despite their inaccuracy and the fact that the women and children of Taif were still in the city too.
                          Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                          Al-Ghazali

Comment

Prophet Muhammad (SAW), his companions (RAU) and the true followers always had and used the best of the weapons they could get/afford to repel their enemy’s attacks.

Allah Knows better

Comment

Having the most advanced weapons is very nice. What I am more concerned are what are the islamic ethics of war. Or is a muslim commander allowed to kill as many civilians as required to inflict damage on the opponents' military prowess?

Comment

Working...
                              X