Long hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long hair

At one time, former President of Pakistan, Zia ul Haq, had banned long-haired pop singers from appearing on the PTV. They were deemed as a bad influence on youngsters, especially with the long, floating, shoulder-length hair.

A scholar at that time appeared on the TV and explained that men should not look like women. And it is forbidden in Islam.

A few years later, in another TV program, another scholar was explaining the personality of Prophet (SAWW) and explained that he had long shiny hair, where he used to apply Hinna. And he used to wear a turban-like cap and kept his hair, split from the middle, either spread or bound.

All the sketches of Jesus Christ, which are available in western culture, show him sporting long, shoulder-length, floating hair, with a beard and a moustache.

So, whats the scoop here? I am not talking about pop singers, but about normal muslim men. Should they keep long hair? Is it correct to associate long hair with women? Or is it a sunnah of the Prophets (RA) to keep long, shoulder-length, hair?

Long haired pop singers were not a good
    influence on young Muslims. No conservative
    people of the world thought so. But the poets
    among them are of value. I can think of no
    songs released by Cat Stevens that could be
    considered against Islam before his change to
    the Islamic faith. That is fasinating. He now
    performs again somewhat. He wore a beard most
    of the time he was an international star.

Comment

Well the part about Prophet Muhammad (saw) having long hair is true i think. This might be helpful:
      http://islamicity.com/qa/action.lass...ld=Topic&-find

------------------
      "If people were to know of the things I know, it would all fall apart."
      CSM

Comment

First of all I do not think Zia and his company is a good example to explain the laws of Islam. Secondly the scholar did not tell any lie, he was very much right saying that a man should not look like a woman and it is forbidden in Islam. But using this verdict as for long hair, I do not agree with that.
        Prophet MUHAMMAD (SAW), at times did have long and shot hair. To me if a man grow his hair to as a Sunnah, he would get reward because a man still can have mannish look if he had done his long hair properly. On the other hand the man who keeps his hair short thinking that Prophet MUHAMMAD (SAW) had short hair at times, he would also get the reward.

To me it depends on the intention.
        If a guy grows his hair to look like a pop signer or shaves his head to look like skin heads then that goes with his intention too.
        Allah knows better!!!!

Comment

Salaam! Yes your right Muslim men are not supposed to imitate women and vice versa. Having shoulder length hair is not imitating women because women are suppose to grow their hair longer than they’re shoulders and not trim any of it.
          It is not permissible for a male to tie his hair at the back, as that is the practise of females.

And Allah Knows Best.

-Shehzaada

------------------
          The Big Bang theory and the beginning of life Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe? (Holy Qur’an 21:30)

Perfectly created universes He created seven universes in layers. You do not see any imperfection in the creation by the Most Gracious. Keep looking; do you see any flaw? Look again and again; your eyes will come back stumped and conquered. (Holy Qur’an 67:3-4)

Expansion of the universe theory And it is We who have built the universe with our power; and, verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it. And we made the earth habitable, a perfect design. (Holy Qur’an 51:47-48)

Earth crust movement When you look at the mountains, you think that they are standing still. But they are moving, like the clouds. Such is the manufacture of GOD, Who perfected everything. He is fully Cognizant of everything you do. (The Holy Qur'an 27:88)

Preservation of genetic data Does the human being think that We will not reconstruct his bones ? Yes indeed; We are able to recreate even his fingerprint. (Holy Qur’an 75:3-4)

Comment

Originally posted by Shehzaada:
            It is not permissible for a male to tie his hair at the back, as that is the practise of females.
            When u say, practise of females, what does it mean? Practises have changed a lot. These days, many women have short hair, or do not tie it at that back. Does it mean keeping short hair is womanly? I don't think so. Lets not confuse religious rulings with our personal likes/dislikes and fashions en vogue.

However, based on the above replies, it seems that to implement that ruling (men should not imitate women) is incorrect in the matter of long hair. Men, will in fact be following sunnah by having long hair (assuming there niyyat is correct, ofcourse).

Comment

I do not have full knowledge, but still tempt to respond. I beleive Prophet PBUH used to have a cap/turban on his head most of the time, so having a short hair or long hair would matter less since the cap/turban would be the dominant item identifying a "man".

Also, women are supposed to cover ALL of their hair, while men are not required to cover "ALL" hair.

Pristine:
              Current practices of women of having short hair do not change the ruling, in fact it then applies to women to not shorten the hair above their shoulders.

This particular ruling/hadith requires women to keep their hair long enough to be lower than shoulder, while men can grow their at MOST to the shoulder.

Now we, the men, will very conveniently pick up the first half of the tradition (grow hair up to the shoulders) and drop the other half (cover your head) since it is inconvenient.

Ours is a very 'confused' society, all this confusion arises from "selective" Islam.

------------------
              May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Errrr.... wearing a cap/turban? Is that mandatory? Is it related to long hair, meaning if you intend to keep long hair then you must wear a turban?

Comment

Originally posted by Pristine:
                  Errrr.... wearing a cap/turban? Is that mandatory? Is it related to long hair, meaning if you intend to keep long hair then you must wear a turban?

According to one school of thought, it is mandatory to have a cap or turban (for men), it is not related to long hair. Cap/turban and short/long hair are independent.

------------------

Comment

>>Cap/turban and short/long hair are independent.<<

Since they are independent, so we will leave the turban issue aside, for the moment. Although you have fascinated me with your statement. Can you perhaps provide more information on that one school of thought, which considers turban mandatory and explain their reasons for reaching that conclusion. May be in another thread.

So, for the purposes of this discussion, we are back to the original agreement, that long hair for men are not only permissible in Islam, rather they may even be encouraged.

Comment

Dear Pristine, what I meant to say is that in one school of thought, it is mandatory to cover head... either using a cap or turban (there is a choice).

On the "long hair" issue, I wanted to say that even if someone has long hair, if he has cap or turban on his head it would be the 'dominant identifying item'. So it does not matter whether men grow their hair long (upto the shoulder) or keep short.

------------------

Comment

Yes, this is what I am asking. Which school of thought? And what is their basis for reaching that conclusion?

On long hair, you youself said, it is independent of wearing a turban. So, lets keep turban out of the equation. Men ARE allowed to have long hair, with or without a turban.

Comment

Not one school of thought, I think every practicing schlorar in almost all of the school of thoughts prefers to have men cover thier heads. But in Pakistan, Hanafi school of thought is the one which give more emphasis on having men cover their heads.

Allah Knows better

Comment

as far as i know men r allowed to keep long hair (it is sunnah ofcourse) but the long hair should be falling over shoulders and not falling in front of the face....
                            and most of the pop-singers have air falling in front of their face (like Mishael Jacson)....
                            and this is characterized as a feminine behavior....
                            Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

>>>This particular ruling/hadith requires women to keep their hair long enough to be lower than shoulder, while men can grow their at MOST to the shoulder<<<<

This shows complete disrespect for women and men alike. There are tribes in Africa and as well as some Aboriginal tribes in various parts of the world where women (as well as men) have hair that stop growing past 1/8th of an inch. These rulings and other garbage were probably written in some dark room. Also Oriental men have sometimes little or no facial hair, so growing a beard is not possible for them. Are these Mullahs trying to send a message that Islam is selective and it only applies to people of hair?

Comment

Working...
                              X