Affect of 11/9 on reversions to Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affect of 11/9 on reversions to Islam

I reproduce an article that has been posted in another forum.
    Islam Attracts Converts by the Thousands, Drawn Before and After Attacks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jodi Wilgoren
    ALLWIN, Mo., Oct. 20 — Since she became a Muslim six months ago, Angela Davis has given up many things. She stopped listening to music, started sleeping on the floor, put away her 100 Disney videos and traded her porcelain doll collection for velvet posters with verses from the Koran.

Now, in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Ms. Davis may have to give up her children.

After her photograph, in full veil, appeared in the local newspaper on Sept. 30, Ms. Davis's soon-to-be-ex- husband refused to return their children, 5 and 2, from a weekend visit. She has not seen them since.

"It's a test that is given to me from Allah to see if my faith is strong enough," said Ms. Davis, 27, who discovered Islam in an Internet chat room this spring and now teaches pre-kindergarten at the Al-Salam Day School in this St. Louis suburb. "I'm asked to give up my religion for my kids, but I won't do it. On Judgment Day, as much as I love my kids, they won't be there with me."

Though her situation is extreme, Ms. Davis is one of thousands of new Muslim converts struggling with their identities amid anti-Muslim fervor and declarations of an Islamic holy war being broadcast on television. Already estranged from relatives and friends, some of whom accuse them of joining a cult, these new Muslims face catcalls and fresh challenges to their faith

Many say the events of Sept. 11 only confirmed their commitment. Shannon Staloch is not sure why, but upon hearing of the hijackings, she immediately grabbed a book from her backpack and recited the Arabic declaration of belief; she made the conversion official 12 days later.

"You know how the world changed when that happened and everyone was shaky?" Ms. Staloch said. "I wanted something steady."

With some 6 million adherents in the United States, Islam is said to be the nation's fastest-growing religion, fueled by immigration, high birth rates and widespread conversion. One expert estimates that 25,000 people a year become Muslims in this country; some clerics say they have seen conversion rates quadruple since Sept. 11.

Experts say Islam is attractive because of its universal message — the faithful believe that everyone is born Muslim and thus call the transformation reversion, not conversion — and because its teachings incorporate other traditions, honoring Jesus Christ, the Jewish patriarch Abraham and other Biblical figures as prophets. Though missionary work is rare in Islam, spreading the message is demanded by the Koran. Conversion is as simple as reciting one sentence — "I bear witness that there is no deity except Allah and that Muhammad is his messenger" — in front of witnesses, a ceremony known as Shahadah.

------------------
    Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

It is a cheap political propaganda of Islam. I have come across many such writings without any base source, said by some mullah to another one, or printed in an Islamic press on behalf on some western media.
    In west the Islamic growth is totally dependent on emigration. I can understand that it is the fastest growing religion by birth rate in societies where culture, education are secondary and Madrisa is primary.
    Long back a student at JNU was telling something factual to some friends. Those were the days when Ayatullah Khomeiny and his squads were torturing and killing the civilians in Iran. The students was telling the gathering, ‘After what we have seen in Iran, people at large may not think of one Ayatullah Khomeiny, but will just hate Islam, the forcing ideology behind all these killings.’

Comment

Originally posted by anand:
      It is a cheap political propaganda of Islam. I have come across many such writings without any base source, said by some mullah to another one, or printed in an Islamic press on behalf on some western media.
      In west the Islamic growth is totally dependent on emigration. I can understand that it is the fastest growing religion by birth rate in societies where culture, education are secondary and Madrisa is primary.
      Long back a student at JNU was telling something factual to some friends. Those were the days when Ayatullah Khomeiny and his squads were torturing and killing the civilians in Iran. The students was telling the gathering, ‘After what we have seen in Iran, people at large may not think of one Ayatullah Khomeiny, but will just hate Islam, the forcing ideology behind all these killings.’

may i know where u live mr.anand?

bcz if u live in toronto i can let u meet with more than 10 converts some black, white christianz and few hinduz that converted right infront of me.........!!

from my schoool, around my area where i live!

just to shut u up a little nothi more!

one thing give me a source of one christian/jews/ welll actualy for a muslim converting to hinduism??

just one i will be happy to read his/her story!

Comment

Hello Rehaan,

Hindus have a system of cast that just does not give grounds for conversion. (You may call it racism or bash at such social malpractice, I will appreciate you.)

There is a movement growing very fast all around the world known as ISCON, Krishna movement, has attracted people from all religions and races and these followers consider themselves Hindus, Brahmins, khastrya etc.
        There is another movement of one Maharishi spreading the Vedanta thought in the West and States.
        Though I do not see any reason to be proud of any sect, though these movements are totally peaceful.

I hate Madrisa. I hate any ideology that programs the mind against others. A few outcomes of Madrisa when matured can judge the values independently.
        Between you and me, Islam is also a sect or at large a cult, nothing else.

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by anand:
          I hate Madrisa. I hate any ideology that programs the mind against others. A few outcomes of Madrisa when matured can judge the values independently.
          Between you and me, Islam is also a sect or at large a cult, nothing else.
          I think if there is a post asking for the time of day, you will bring in your madrisa bit in somehow.

Between you and me, Islam is the true religion. He who is guided into it will be whistling. He who does not will start rotting from the grave and end up being toasted in eternal fire.

------------------
          Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Working...
          X