Haq Mehar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haq Mehar??

Is nikah in islam not complete without the discussion of haq mehar? Why is haq mehar a part of a muslim nikah ceremony? What if the groom's side refuse to write down any amount of haq mehar, would the nikah be complete?
    Anybody with the knowledge is welcome...

Mehar is necessary.
    Why? Because supposedly the woman and man fall into a stipulation later on in life and then they are divorced, atleast she has that $$ to fall back on.

If the groom's side refuses; I suggest they should be considerate and rethink their decision. I don't think it would be complete since the brides side does not agree with the grooms.

Mehar can only be forgiven by the girl.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Originally posted by Neera:
      Is nikah in islam not complete without the discussion of haq mehar? Why is haq mehar a part of a muslim nikah ceremony? What if the groom's side refuse to write down any amount of haq mehar, would the nikah be complete?
      Anybody with the knowledge is welcome...
      Nikah is a contract.

The first thing that a contract needs is agreement between the consenting parties.

Secondly, every contract must have a consideration. A contract without a consideration is inapplicable as it cannot be for mutual benefit and would be one-sided.

------------------
      Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

As I understand, Islam does not permit a marriage to be consummated unless at least part of the mehar has been paid.
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

This is what I heard recently that there are two types of haq mehar (I can't recall the names for both) but one has to be paid at the time of nikah and the other later on in life. And I guess there is no nikah unless both parties compromise on a certain amount.
          I also heard that it depends how "able" both the groom and the bride are, in terms of financial situation as well as the bride's beauty. Don't laugh at me for saying that cause Hazrat Mohd. pbuh asked for more mehar for one of his daughters because he said that she was pretier than the other one.

Comment

This is what I heard recently that there are two types of haq mehar (I can't recall the names for both) but one has to be paid at the time of nikah and the other later on in life.
            Not later on, "when demanded" is the meaning of induttalab
            I also heard that it depends how "able" both the groom and the bride are, in terms of financial situation as well as the bride's beauty.
            On financial condition yes, but beauty, I would personally say no. I would need to see a hadeeth to evidence what you have stated. It is highly unlikely that RAsool AllAh (sallallaho alaihe wasallam) would say something like that. Wallaho Aalam.

------------------

[This message has been edited by FactFinder (edited January 03, 2002).]

Comment

Mehr is a must and I believe you CANNOT consummate the marriage without parts of it.

And they say Islam does not give women their rights.........year right!

Comment

There is no where in the Quran that says that if a woman is pretter then the other she gets more? No thats not right and I have never read or heard anything like that before.

Comment

Don't laugh at me for saying that cause Hazrat Mohd. pbuh asked for more mehar for one of his daughters because he said that she was pretier than the other one.
                  Neera,
                  Can you please provide the hadees that supports the claim that you have posted? Or if someone else has any idea, can they please post the hadees.

I hate to say it's wrong but it sure doesn't sound like our beloved prophet(saw). I wanna be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzna:
                    Neera,
                    Can you please provide the hadees that supports the claim that you have posted? Or if someone else has any idea, can they please post the hadees.

I hate to say it's wrong but it sure doesn't sound like our beloved prophet(saw). I wanna be sure.

Ok, I don't have the hadees but here is what happened.
                    Our prophet's (saw) daughter (don't know which one) was getting married to her brother-in-law after her sister's death.
                    Our prophet (saw) asked his son-in-law for a bigger amount of haq mehar. His son-in-law asked him why he was asking for a larger amount because when he got married to the other daughter, it wasn't as much as this time. He (saw) replied that my younger daughter is more beautiful than the elder one.

Comment

A hadith you know,must always be posted with a Sanad,ie how authentic it is.Unless we will have no way of distinguishing between Saheeh and Mozu Ahadith.

------------------
                      Guzar Ja Aaqal Say aagay Ke Yeh Nur
                      Chiragh-e-Rah Hai Manzil Nahi Hai

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Falcon Of Kashmir:
                        A hadith you know,must always be posted with a Sanad,ie how authentic it is.Unless we will have no way of distinguishing between Saheeh and Mozu Ahadith.
                        Totally agree with you. The flip side of the coin is, do not post anything unless you are sure.

Anybody posting an incorrect hadeeth takes responsibility for attributing lies to the Prophet (sallallaho alaihe wasallam). This is a grave mistake, which is better avoided.

------------------

Comment

I am sorry but I study Islam and everything around Islam and all the Hadeeth but I have never heard no such thing. And I dont think a Prophet of Allah (swt) would say such a thing, but if you can back me up and show me proof then maybe I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                          X