Is it ok to Pray Namaz wearing shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok to Pray Namaz wearing shoes?

I was reading the NY Times and i saw this one picture..in which a guy is wearing shoes while praying..and i was wondering if anyone can pray wearing shoes?

yeah i need 2 know aswell, i once saw a documentary with these guys wearing muddy footy shoes n reading namaz outside...

Comment

AoA, I'm pretty sure it is allowed according to Shaf'aee madhab. I once attended a lecture and the guy mentioned something about it, but I don't exactly remember what it was. I think there are some restrictions to it too.

------------------
      "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
      (11:55-56)

Comment

Hanafee's are not allowed.

Comment

it is ok to pray in shoes....
          i dont remember exactly now, but tere is a hadeeth which says that once the Prophet (pbuh) was praying with his companions and he took off his shoes and the companions took off their shoes when they saw him and when they finished prayer, the Prophet (pbuh)said that 'why did u take off ur shoes, i took off my shoes cuz there was (some harmful insect) in my shoes"....

i hope someone can post the exact naration....
          but it is allowed, but not in modern day mosques where wearing shoes to prayer wud spoil the carpets and mats....
          so it is better to pray without shoes in moques and homes....
          but if u r praying outdoors u may pray inshoes and it is preferred that u pray in shoes if u r in a mudy ares, desert or forest etc....
          Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by armughal:
            i dont remember exactly now, but tere is a hadeeth which says that once the Prophet (pbuh) was praying with his companions and he took off his shoes and the companions took off their shoes when they saw him and when they finished prayer, the Prophet (pbuh)said that 'why did u take off ur shoes, i took off my shoes cuz there was (some harmful insect) in my shoes"....

i hope someone can post the exact naration....
            but it is allowed, but not in modern day mosques where wearing shoes to prayer wud spoil the carpets and mats....
            but if u r praying outdoors u may pray inshoes and it is preferred that u pray in shoes if u r in a mudy ares, desert or forest etc....
            I could not find that particular hadeeth, but agree that it makes sense. Those days, Muslims were mostly tarvelling and had to pray on the ground. These days, we pray on carpets and prayer mats (janamaz). Thus, it would be better to pray without shoes. But there are occasions when the exception becomes the rule. For example, when senior dignitairies pray Eid or Juma'a they are usually in shoes that have been worn only inside and are thus paak.

However to answer the initial question there is a hadeeth in Sahih Bukhari which I reproduce:
            Narrated Abu Maslama:
            Said bin Yazid Al-Azdi: I asked Anas bin Malik whether the Prophet had ever, prayed with his shoes on. He replied "Yes."

------------------
            Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

[This message has been edited by FactFinder (edited December 31, 2001).]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Sheraz CT:
              ..and i was wondering if anyone can pray wearing shoes?

Originally posted by armughal:
              Ibrahim says: Innal-Hamdalillah was-Salaatu was-Salaamu 'Alaa Rasoolillah

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmathullahi wa Barakaathuhu

I was hoping I can keep my mouth shut on this thread but since this has continued and I will be guilty of withholding information if I carried on pretending not knowing anything about it.

My reason being the hadith available on this are rather limited in the sense that it does not provide ample details to get a clearer picture and I will have to enter the realm of Zann al-mubah, meaning (Speculation based on probability) when I comment on them.

may Allah (swt) guide us not to err.

When we read the Qur’an

20: 9 Has the story of Moses reached thee?

10 Behold he saw a fire: so he said to his family "Tarry ye; I perceive a fire; perhaps I can bring you some burning brand therefrom or find some guidance at the fire."

11 But when he came to the fire a voice was heard: "O Moses!

12 "Verily I am thy Lord! Therefore (in My presence) put off thy shoes: thou art in the sacred valley Tuwa.

Ibrahim says: Hence it is clear that , when we approach Holy Ground or scared Areas we must remove our shoes/sandals as a mark of respect. Thus If someone entered a mosque without removing his/her shoes in our current time frame (since mosques are well maintained and kept clean) it would cause an outrage and disrespect for the people who have humbled themselves by removing their shoes.

At the same time when we pray, our intention should be that we are standing in front of Allah (swt) hence using shoes is not advisable.

On the other hand the following hadith conveys that

Al-Muwatta Hadith Hadith 48.16

Wearing Sandals

Yahya related to me from Malik from his paternal uncle Abu Suhayl ibn Malik from his father that Kab al-Ahbar said to a man who took off his sandals, "Why have you taken off your sandals? Perhaps you have interpreted this ayat, 'Remove your sandals. You are in the pure valley of Tuwa?' (Sura 20 ayat 12) Do you know what the sandals of Musa were?"

Malik (the father of Abu Suhayl) said, "I do not know what the man answered." Kab said, " They were made from the skin of a dead donkey."

Ibrahim says: Even then my statements are correct where mosques and dedicated places of worship are concerned. For wearing shoes in such places have been refused by the maintainers of such places , hence a dignitary using shoes would amount to disrespect and should not be practiced as much as possible in my view. ( unless they are carrying an extra pair of clean shoes just for prayers)

The Following hadith attest to the approval of wearing shoes in prayer , when they are clean in nature.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 650 Narrated by Abu Sa'id al-Khudri

While the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) was leading his Companions in prayer, he took off his sandals and laid them on his left side; so when the people saw this, they removed their sandals. When the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) finished his prayer, he asked: What made you remove your sandals? The replied: We saw you remove your sandals, so we removed our sandals. The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) then said: Gabriel came to me and informed me that there was filth in them. When any of you comes to the mosque, he should see; if he finds filth on his sandals, he should wipe it off and pray in them.

Ibrahim says: Although this hadith allows the use of shoes in mosques, we need to understand what or how mosques were at this time frame when this was applicable. Anyone who had visited Arabia and the old places of worship ( mosques at the time of prophet (pbuh)) will attest that the Mosques of that time, was just a flat piece of land with a piece of wall, that acted as a barrier for the imam to stand facing the kaa’bah ( hence there are hadiths which records dogs freely roaming into them)

In other words these mosques were open and due to the climate, it can get pretty hot, thus shoes have to be used or else one will get burnt by the shear heat of the soil.

I have in my past experience faced a lot of difficulties in Makkah itself when my sandals may get lost and one has to walk even a short distance on the pavements barefooted.

Thus in my opinion , the above hadith is more related to praying when one is traveling or when one is in an open mosque and the place is not exactly clean in all aspects .

Now the second hadith tells us, that the Prophet (pbuh) also removed shoes when praying, which is what most of us prefer to do in this time frame .

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 648 Narrated by Abdullah ibn as-Sa'ib

I saw the Prophet (peace be upon him) praying on the day of the conquest of Mecca and he had placed his shoe at his left side.

Ibrahim says: hence at our current times when we have such clean and well maintained places of worship , it is important that we remove our shoes and use our socks only or be barefooted when we stand in prayer.

Allah (swt) knows best

Again what I am saying are to be considered Zann al-mubah, meaning (Speculation based on probability) and should not be taken as contradicting the hadiths.

Was salaam
              Ibrahim

Comment

Working...
              X