Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the right way?

Assalam-O-Alykum Warah Matullahi Wabarakatuh

The prime purpose of this post is to seek help regarding a problem that I'm facing these days. I need some information pertaining the way Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) offered prayer (SALAH). I've lived in Saudi Arabia for 18 years. There I saw all the Arabs doing what is known as RAFA YADEIN that is they raise their hands before bowing (doing RUKU) and then raising once again after the RUKU (in Qiyam) and folding them in a standing posture before going to prostration (Sajda). I use to do it the same way. But now when I came back to Pakistan, I see no one doing it like that instead, majority of the people consider it totally wrong to raise hands before bowing and in Qiyam whilst praying. Therefore, I stopped doing RAFA YADEIN in my prayers especially when I'm in public. But confusion has been created in my mind as to which is the correct way. Most of the books here available deny RAFA YADEIN practiced by Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H).

I want to know precisely how Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) uses to pray. I would appreciate if you provide a Hadith or any thing from his Sunnah in your answer.

Almighty for give my doubt, my anger, my pride. By Thy Mercy abase me,By Thy Strictness raise me up!

Walekum AsSalaam!

Brother!
    I will present my opinion:

Both ways are right but saying that one of the two ways is wrong is not right. What I know is that Prophet (SAW) performed both ways. Both of these ways are under Sunnah and whether you do it or don't do it, you are still following Sunnah, Alhamdo Lillah.

I don't do it, but it does not mean that it is not correct. Infact, Scholars who are not in favor of Rafa Yadain say that Prophet(SAW) did perform it (means it was Sunnah) but they quote a hadith that later on it was not done by the prophet(SAW)... Wallaho Alam. To the others who don't follow Hanafi Maslak, this Hadith may be "Zaeef." It really doesn't matter. Prophet performed both ways and you can do only one way at a time. In any case, you are doing "Atte-ur-Rasool" and "Itteba-ur-Rasool," which we are told by Allah in Quran.

May Allah accept all of ours deeds. (Aameen)

P.S.>>>>> There may come some people here who can spoil your spirit to acquire knowledge; it's better that you confirm their (and mine as well) opinion with Quran and Sunnah -- not by using your head and knowledge.

Wama Alaina Illal Balagh!

------------------
    You (Muslims) are the best nation ever raised among the mankind: (because) you
    advocate righteousness and FORBID EVIL, and you believe in (one) GOD (ALLAH).
    (Sura: Aalay-Imran; Ayat:110)
    ========================
    ***Sitaaron Pay Jo Daltay Hain Kamand!***
    Tu Tundi-e-Baad-e-Mukhaalif say na ghabra ay Uqaab
    Yeh tau chaltee hai tujhay OoNcha urRaanay kay liye

Comment

Well Ok. But could you please quote the exact hadith for this. And if Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) did stop doing it then why? there must be a reason?

Comment

Rafayad'ein is by all means supported in the Sunnah, and is a part of perfecting ones prayer. There is no evidence to suggest that the practice of rafayad'ein was abrogated later on during the times of the Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam.

Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaani (raheemhahullaah) writes in his book 'Seefatu Salaat an-Nabee (The Prophets Prayer Described) , after completing his recitation (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) would pause for a moment, then raise his hands ... [Bukhaari and Muslim]

He continues to write, "... It is the madhab of the three Imaams Maalik, Shaafi'i and Ahmad, and of the majority of scholars of hadeeth and fiqh. Imaam Maalik (raheemahullaah) practiced it right up to his death, as reported by Ibn 'Asaakir (15/78/2). Some of the Hanafees chose to do it, among them 'Isaam bin Yusuf Abu 'Asmah al-Balki (d. 210), a student of Imaam Abu Yusuf (raheemahullaah). 'Abdullaah bin Ahmad reported from his father in his Masaa'il (p. 60), "It is related from 'Uqbah bin 'Aamir that he said about a man raising his hands during prayer, 'He earns ten good deeds for each such movement'." This is supported by the hadeeth qudsee, " ... he who intends a good deed and then does it, Allaah writes it down with Himself as from ten to seven hundred good deeds", transmitted by Bukhaari & Muslim."

This book is the most comprehensive work on the Prayer of the Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam - to be translated into English. It's also available on some Islamic web sites, but at present it's escaped my mind as to which sites. However, i'm sure one of the brothers or siters here can insha'Allaah provide a link to it.

WasSalaam

----------------
        "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Originally posted by EmptyBrain:
          Well Ok. But could you please quote the exact hadith for this. And if Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) did stop doing it then why? there must be a reason?
          The matter is not of his discontinuing. It is a matter of difference in schools of thought and is not material. Both practices are reported and the Hanafis accept only raising of hands at the start of the rayers and not during.

The scholars were very particular in toning down differences as they knew that both were right. You should practice what the majority in your area of residence accept as conflict on trivialities is not acceptable.

------------------
          Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Empty Brain,
            Walaikum Salaam, good question. At our masjid here in the States, we have all nationalities and you see so many variations in everything. So I've always wondered what the right way was also.

Anyways, I have a couple of online bookstores links but they are located in the States. Incase, you or someone else in the states is interested, islamicmedia.com, soundvision.com.

Comment

Assalam-O-Alykum Warah Matullahi Wabarakatuh

The prime purpose of this post is ...
              Hope this link helps: http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/toc.html

It is an online version of a book. I like it because it gives you the precise sources of all the things it states and also because each action of the namaaz is described in great detail.

Comment

Jazak Allah, brother Addu!

The site also has other valuable productions on line which can be used.

------------------
                Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

I was told Hadith tells exact movements of Salat.. hmmm then there shouldn't be any disagreement right?

Stop beating around the bush everybody quoting this maulana and that maulana with this madhab and that madhab..

What is this madhab anyway?? suddenly from following Allah and Islam we are following maulanas and can't even quote a reference to verify that the Prophet ordered people to raise their hands in the style practiced today.

Answer the original question without fluff please. Don't just say Muslim/Bukhari.. quote the hadith explicitly ordering people to do such.. not some convuluted deductions.

Many Thanks.

------------------
                  This Space For Rent
                  JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Hasnain: Jazakallah. Its not that I'm not convinced if it’s the right way to raise hands, after all I use to practice it. I got confused when people here especially the Molvie's said that it’s not proved by the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H). At that point I feared if I'm practicing something which is not authentic and is an addition to Sunnah.

However, I would want you to clarify one thing. You quoted,

Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaani (raheemhahullaah) writes in his book 'Seefatu Salaat an-Nabee (The Prophets Prayer Described) , after completing his recitation (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) would pause for a moment, then raise his hands ... [Bukhaari and Muslim]

It’s not mentioned from whom Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaani (raheemhahullaah) narrate this practice of the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H). Did any of the Sahaba narrate this? Who? From where did he hear, this being practiced by the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H).

Also,

'Abdullaah bin Ahmad reported from his father in his Masaa'il (p. 60), "It is related from 'Uqbah bin 'Aamir that he said about a man raising his hands during prayer, 'He earns ten good deeds for each such movement'."

Then you support this with a hadeeth,

... he who intends a good deed and then does it, Allaah writes it down with Himself as from ten to seven hundred good deeds", transmitted by Bukhaari & Muslim."

First of all, the Hadith is not supporting directly RAFAYADEIN, rather its describing the rewards given if one intends and then performs a good deed. This generally supports any deed which is intended righteously and then is also performed. It does not support the raising of hands.

Secondly, what Uqbah bin Amir tells is not narrating what Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) practiced. Neither of the Rewayah narrate how actually Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) was seen practicing. What I wanted was a narration clearly stating how prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) use to pray and which Sahabi second that in his sayings?

FactFinder: Not only Salah, I practice religion according to what I learned from the Arab teachers. But now when I see something being done differently, I must decide which Imam to follow and it definitly would be one Imam. Its not thora idhar say thora udhar say. Adha teetar adha bateyr would take me nowhere.

Yasmine: I know what it feels like to be in such a congregation. However, I have a web site for you which is really very good. Its address is www.IslamToday.com/ the site explains the religion in a superb manner.

Comment

Wah! You are great Addu. JazakAllah. Its a very good site. Thanx yaar.

Comment

EB,
                        Thanks for the site. Jazakallah Khairun.

Comment

Salaam

It’s not mentioned from whom Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaani (raheemhahullaah) narrate this practice of the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H). Did any of the Sahaba narrate this? Who? From where did he hear, this being practiced by the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H).
                          Over seventy companions reported Rafayadein thus the ahadeeth are considered Mutawaatir and there is no doubt as to the authenticity. Here's one of the narrations a friend kindly passed onto me:

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) started his prayer, he would say “Allaahu
                          akbar” and raise his hands, when he bowed in rukoo’ he would raise his hands, when he said “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah [Allaah hears those who praise Him]” he would raise his hands, and when he stood up after two Rak’ahs he would raise his hands.
                          (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2/222; Abu Dawood, 1/197).

'Abdullaah bin Ahmad reported from his father in his Masaa'il (p. 60), "It is related from 'Uqbah bin 'Aamir that he said about a man raising his hands during prayer, 'He earns ten good deeds for each such movement'."

Then you support this with a hadeeth,

... he who intends a good deed and then does it, Allaah writes it down with Himself as from ten to seven hundred good deeds", transmitted by Bukhaari & Muslim."

First of all, the Hadith is not supporting directly RAFAYADEIN, rather its describing the rewards given if one intends and then performs a good deed. This generally supports any deed which is intended righteously and then is also performed. It does not support the raising of hands.
                          I'm sorry for not explaining this point well. What the Shaykh was suggesting here was that, although there are some who choose not to practice rafayadein, it has been authentically established as part of the Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam's - prayer. Therefore, even if one considers it not to be obligatory during salaah, it is highly recommended as it is clearly from the Sunnah, and there is much reward in following the Messenger - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam - by establishing our actions upon the correct sources. And withoubt doubt rafaydein is from the good deeds.

... and Allaah - subhaan wata'aala knows best.

WasSalaam

-----------------
                          "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Jazakallah Hasnain. I've started raising hands in my prayers. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                              I was told Hadith tells exact movements of Salat.. hmmm then there shouldn't be any disagreement right?

why not?

Stop beating around the bush everybody quoting this maulana and that maulana with this madhab and that madhab..

What is this madhab anyway?? suddenly from following Allah and Islam we are following maulanas and can't even quote a reference to verify that the Prophet ordered people to raise their hands in the style practiced today.

who is following maulana, can you quote?

Answer the original question without fluff please. Don't just say Muslim/Bukhari.. quote the hadith explicitly ordering people to do such.. not some convuluted deductions.

if you are so irritated by names of Muslim, Bukhari, Dawood, etc then its your problem, otherwise howelse will you quote a hadith? a hadith will be revealed to you?
                              how do you provide proofs/references?

when would you stop avoiding questions?

It was asked several times but you run away.

How did you learn saying salaat? how did you know what to read in salaat? when to perform salaat (timings)? rakaats? etc.
                              [/B]
                              ------------------
                              May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Working...
                              X