Martyrdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martyrdom

Fortieth Year of Migration: It was the a19th of the Ramazan, the month of fasting of that eventful year. The time was that of morning prayers. The place was the Mosque of Kufa, Imam Ali (a) had arrived in the mosque long before the time of the prayers, had roused those who were sleeping in the mosque. Amongst them was Abur Rahman ibn Muljam Muradi. He was lying on his face and hidden under his garment a sword, the blade of which had been poisoned. Imam Ali (a) roused him, told him that it was an unhealthy way of sleeping, it hinders free breathing, and also told him that he had hidden a sword in his garment and an evil intention was in his mind. Imam Ali (a) then called the Muslims to morning prayers and led the service.

It was the first part of the prayers and he was rising from the kneeling posture when the sword of Abdur Rahman descended on his head. It was the same sword that Imam Ali (a) had pointed out only half an hour ago, it gave him a very deep cut. The prayers were disturbed. Abdur Rahman started fleeing, but people chased him. Nobody was attending the prayers and there was confusion everywhere. But Imam Ali (a) finished his two prostrations, and then reeled into the hands of his sons Hasan and Husain. The wound which was bleeding profusely was attended to. His blood-drenched lips parted into thanksgiving supplication and he said, "Lord! I thank You for rewarding me with martyrdom; how kind You are and how Gracious! May your Mercy further lead me to the realm of Your Grace and Benevolence!"

Abdur Rahman was caught by Sa'sa bin Suhan and was brought before Imam Ali. Hands of the murderer were tied behind his back. Imam saw the ropes were cutting into the flesh of the murderer. He forgot the wound of his head, the blow which was to end his life. He forgot that Abdur Rahman was his murderer. All that he saw was a human being subjected to inhuman torture. He ordered the Muslims to loosen the hands of Abdur Rahman and to treat the man more humanly. The kindness touched the murderer and he started weeping. Imam Ali (a) smiled and in a faint voice said, "It is too late to repent now. Was I a bad Imam or an unkind ruler?"

People carried the great Imam to his house and when he saw the bright day, he addressed it: "O Day! You can bear testimony to the fact that during the lifetime of Ali, you have never dawned and found him sleeping".

He lived two days after this event and in that interval whenever he found time, he delivered a few sermons. (See Nahjul Balagha, Sermon 147, Letter 47)

In those sermons and with his dying breath, he expressly ordered that no harshness should be used towards his murderer, who should be executed, if the heirs of Imam Ali so desire, with one blow. He should not be tortured before death. His dead body should not be mutilated. His family members should not suffer on account of his crime and his property should not be confiscated. He designated his son Imam Hasan as his vicegerent.

Thus he closed the last chapter of a life which from the beginning to its end was full of noble deeds, pious thoughts and sublime words and every hour of which was a crowned hour of a glorious life. "Had Ali been allowed to reign in peace", says Oeslner, "his virtues, his firmness, and his sublime character would have perpetuated the basic principles of a good government and its simple manners." The dagger of an assassin destroyed the hope of Islam.

"With him, says Osborn, "perished the true-hearted and the best Muslim of whom Muhammadian history has preserved the remembrance".

"Seven centuries before" says Justice Amir Ali, "this wonderful man would have been apotheosised and thirteen centuries later, his genius and talents, his virtues and his valour, would have exerted the admiration of the civilized world. Chivalrous, humane and forbearing to the verge of weakness, as a ruler he came before his time. He was almost no match by his uncompromising love of truth, his gentleness and his merciful nature to cope with Umayyad's treachery and falsehood". Justice Amir Ali further says, "To quote the modern French historian: "But for his assassination the Muslim world might have witnessed the realization of the Prophet's teachings, in actual amalgamation of the first principles of true philosophy into positive action. The same passionate deovtion to knowledge and learning which distinguished Muhammad, breathed in every word of Ali. With a literality of mind -- far beyond the age in which he lived -- was joined a sincere devotion of spirit and earnestness of faith. His sermons, his psalms, his litanies portray a devout uplooking twoards the source of All Good, and an unbounded faith in humanity".

According to his will, he was buried at Najaf (Iraq), a place about two miles from Kufa.

About Imam Ali (a), his character, his wisdom, his teachings, his services to Islam, his love of mankind, his respect to duty, and adherence to piety, to truth and justice, more than 8000 books have already been written. They are in Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, English, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Gujrati, Hindi, Telegu, and Tamil, a sincere homage to the sincerity of his faith in the greatness and nobility of character inherent in man and in the possibility of human beings developing these traits by good thoughts and good deeds.

Thanks for such a nice post

You forgot to mention the famous saying he uttered "Fuzt u be Rab'bil kaa'ba".on that time.

Comment

very nice post.

interesting to note is that Hazrat Ali RA was so nice to his murderer, but his followers accuse (not actually accuse, but put words in his mouth which I am sure were aliens for him) him of talking evil about Khalifas before him.

------------------
      May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

also interesting to note how he was so nice to his murderer so how could he not be nice to the ppl who disobeyed Prophet, who killed His beloved Wife, who fought with him

doesnt it all make sense to u now? if u really love someone then would u respect the ppl who hurt that person? maybe u can but i cant

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
          very nice post.

interesting to note is that Hazrat Ali RA was so nice to his murderer, but his followers accuse (not actually accuse, but put words in his mouth which I am sure were aliens for him) him of talking evil about Khalifas before him.
          Do they do that? Any links to a site that has his 'quotations' about the three Rightly Guided Khulafa (radhi allaho anhum).

------------------
          Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

doesnt it all make sense to u now? if u really love someone then would u respect the ppl who hurt that person? maybe u can but i cant
            I for one am stumped.

You said:

In those sermons and with his dying breath, he expressly ordered that no harshness should be used towards his murderer....... His family members should not suffer on account of his crime
            so you understand your Imam was telling you to be kind and show restraint.

YET you think you should ostricize anyone you think was related.

Now that's not Love for your Imam .. that's just pure hate overpowering your ability to obey your Imam.
            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

u know the shias say LIVE LIKE ALI, DIE LIKE HUSSAIN ..but its not easy my friend

Bibi Fatima did not forgive these ppl..She was really mad at abu bakr and even sunni admit that..She even told Imam Ali to burry her at night time so none of these ppl attend her funeral..and no one knows today where she is burried

but yeah i should show restraint..forgive these ppl since they were only humans ..and human can make mistakes right

Comment

Originally posted by Sheraz CT:
                u know the shias say LIVE LIKE ALI, DIE LIKE HUSSAIN ..but its not easy my friend

Bibi Fatima did not forgive these ppl..She was really mad at abu bakr and even sunni admit that..She even told Imam Ali to burry her at night time so none of these ppl attend her funeral..and no one knows today where she is burried

but yeah i should show restraint..forgive these ppl since they were only humans ..and human can make mistakes right
                ShiraZct.
                gOD TO SEE YOU BACK.
                You admit Mohommed was Humanm,he himself discouraged idolatory of him,what you are doing is idolising khandan of mohommed which would come AFTER mohommed right?
                I never heard of any crime(KARBALA) being the Bane of islam.iT WOULD BECOME obsession with INJUSTIiCE.Now i am with you in Karbala & on side of Ali & Hasan Hussain were the diSpossed by Yazid .But i wouldnt make it my WHOLE islam and would not treat Karbala as important as Koran & 5 pillars of islam ,ijtidad ,& mainly jehad with myself.
                All i hear from you HISTORICAL injusticeses .No matter how close to Mohommed (sllww)all of themwere HUMAN 1500yrs ago just as Iqbal was human alive 80 yrs ago .E would never make Iqbals dicrimination in not getting the Nobel,being purposely bellitled by indians for being from Pakistan although he was dead long before Pakistan nomencklature even made.

------------------

Chin-o-arab hamaara
                hindostaan hamaara
                muslim hai hum, vatan hai saara jahaan hamaara

Comment

see thats the difference between you and us..we believe Prophet to be infallible and you just treat him like a regular humanbeing..Imam Hussains head got cut off while He was in sajda..but see all of this wouldnt mean much to you since u even consider Prophet to be a HUMAN..love for Prophet and His Ahlebait is our biggest treasure

Comment

..along with these tragic deaths another was of hazrat Usman Ghani (R.A) whose blood was spilled on quran.. sad day for muslims.. and Hazrat Ali (R.A) was really saddened at that..
                    Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Degas:
                      ..along with these tragic deaths another was of hazrat Usman Ghani (R.A) whose blood was spilled on quran.. sad day for muslims.. and Hazrat Ali (R.A) was really saddened at that..
                      very true Degas....Hazrat Usman (R.A) was our dearest Khalifah(R.A) just as dearest Hazrat Ali (R.A). Their deaths were the most sad incident.

Comment

People like Sheraz (and there are many) are raised with hatred and preach hatred throughout their lives. There is no way we can change them and their inborn hatred.

------------------
                        Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Working...
                        X