Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One question on Hinduism

Reincarnation!

Can our Hindu guppies please explain Reincarnationís religious concept?! It will be really appreciated if the interpretation is backed by sacred text and quotes.

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Well, Reincarnation is acceptable in Hinduism. Infact,many of the characters including some of the main villains are supposed to be reincarnations.
    But Hinduism as far as I know doesn't impose a pecking order like Budhhism which takes you down from being born as human to being born as a worm!!

Hinduism leaves the possibility of being born as a lower form of life to the result of causing God's anger.
    You have to understand Hinduism is a way of life and beliefs are entirely individual and not encoded and enforced.
    For example there is a Holy Man in my native state of Andhra Pradesh called 'Satya Sai Baba'. Look him up. He has quite a following.
    His devotees believe he is a reincarnation of 'Shirdi Sai Baba' who died in Shirdi, Maharashtra in 1918 or abouts.
    My family and many of my friends belive that. I don't believe a word of it. I think he is a fraud.
    So there you go!!

Comment

Andhra,

Thank you!

I hear many such different versions of the belief from different Hindu friends.

Though I am looking for some quotes ... any from Gita? Maybe Upshaids? Veda? Or Laws of Manu?
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Can our Hindu guppies please explain Reincarnationís religious concept?! It will be really appreciated if the interpretation is backed by sacred text and quotes.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Dear Ahmadjee
        I will have to check up the exact verse numbers, but I know one verse in Gita which says,
        "parithraanaya sadhoonam, vinashayacha chadushkruthaam, dharmasamstharpanarthaya sambhavaami yuge yuge"
        This is a revelation by Lord Krishna to Arjuna where he tells that, he will be re-incarnated again and again on earth in order to reestablish the rule of dharma (truth) and destroy the evil"
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Quote: Andhra
        My family and many of my friends belive that. I don't believe a word of it. I think he is a fraud.
        So there you go!!
        I too do not believe him, but Andhra I think he is doing a great job. The Satya Sai Water supply project in Anantapur District costing Rs 100 crores, the superspeciality hospital where you get 100% free treatment and all the best doctors of the world treating you and the university, schools .... They are really an achievement.
        Another remarkable feature is he doesnt ask any one to convert into Hinduism and he does service irrespective of caste or religion.
        Also a great foreign exchange earner. last year a damn rich american donated 100 million dollars for his fund.
        Good work
        Manchi Pani chesthunnadu emantaavu, naaku thelisi mana andhra loo aamanthram chesinavallu evvaru leru.

Comment

reincarnation is just to make people overcome fear of death .

Comment

Victory,

Is it true that only Gita talks about re-incarnation?

he will be re-incarnated again and again on earth in order to reestablish the rule of dharma (truth) and destroy the evil
            If you can find the exact verse, that will be great! I have a copy of Gita & so I can read the preface to the verses.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Sorry for the out-of-turn Answer
              No Gita is not the only scripture that talks about reincarnation.
              Gita in case you don't know, is not a separate scripture. It is a part of Mahabharata.
              By the way Dharma is not 'Truth'. Truth is 'Satya'.
              Dharma can be very loosely translated as righteousness.
              It is to establish righteousness in 'Bharat' that Hindu Gods take reincarnation.

Comment

edited.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited December 07, 2001).]

Comment

edited.

Comment

>>>It is to establish righteousness in 'Bharat' that Hindu Gods take reincarnation.

Is there a time/need due to which they menifest themselves. Any in the past 1000 years?

So, do only the 'gods' get reincarnated? Cos so far the verses quotes are talk about them. I can understand that if its claimed that gods live forever!
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Yes it would be interesting to learn if Krishna or any other Hindu God were ever reincarnated.
                      and who do the Hindus think they came as?

Comment

edited.

Comment

Nope Gods have no monopoly on reincarnation. As for Krishna's reincarnation, yes it is actually a reincarnation of Vishnu(Both Krishna and Rama are considered reincarnations of Vishnu), Hindus believe the last Avataar is Kalki, to be born in SriLanka as far as I know!!
                          And that is supposed to be the end of the World when he comes riding his horse.
                          His story from what I recall has some similarity with Bibilical stories, like one of Vishnus Avataara is concerned with Genesis. Infact that story sounds like Noah's story a lot.

Comment

Refrain yourself from using abusive language in the forums.

Sentinel.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                              reincarnation is just to make people overcome fear of death .
                              I agree with that...

Comment

Working...
                              X