Should you pay your taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should you pay your taxes?

I have overheard in certain circles, people talking about how they dont report their taxable income because they dont believe in the current tax system or because they dont support how the government uses its taxes. What I want to know is, is it permissible(in islam specifically) to not pay taxes based on the premise that you dont support what some of your taxes are helping fund?

I pay my taxes, but was wondering what you all think about this, and the evidence supporting your claim. Thanks!

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

In my opinion, ethically one should pay all his taxes promptly and fairly. In religion, I am not too much sure about the non-muslim Govts, but for Muslim Govt, one has to take part in the welfare programs offered by state. and since taxes are presumed to be for the welfare of the society, one should oblige that.

Talking about the Muslim Govt, it should already have an Islamic Economic System up and running, although unfortunately I dont think there is any such state. Under Islamic System, there is no concept of taxes as such, but there is a concept of Zakkat-ul-Maal. and there is no way anyone can avoid this Zakka.

Comment

.. Islam orders muslims to obey all laws and orders in a foereign country..be it a muslim or non-muslim. Tax evation is a crime and come in fraud..and frauding anon-muslim or government is forbidden in Islam.. and is gunah.. therefore its myust for amuslimn to pay tax promptly..
      Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

Islam wants us to meet all our obligations. When you stay in a country that has a system different to Islamic (which is presently all over the world) you are obliged to pay what the government decides as your liability. If you do not agree with the way the money is spent, that is a different story and then your responsibilities are not tax related.

------------------
        Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Working...
        X