Hindu Trinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindu Trinity

Three equals one-a well-known concept of Christianity. But lately I have heard my Hindu friends talking about Hindu gods & using the term 'trinity'

Brahma (creator), Vishnu(preserver) and Shiva(destroyer) are their names. Together they are called Sat-Tat-Aum!

Can someone explain where this term was used? Which scripture?

Each god in the trinity has his consort. To Brahma is Saraswati, the Goddess of knowledge. For Vishnu is Lakshmi, the Goddess of love, beauty and delight. For Shiva is Kali (Parvati) , the Goddess of power, destruction and transformation.

Though there are others Hindus who believe there is only one supreme 'Bhagwan'

Though no argument/citation is given from the 'scriptures' as to where it is said that the three are one! And how are they one?

Is it by authority by one? Or by being?! And what role do the consorts play in all the matters of universe? What if there is a conflict in authority? Do they have children?
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

ahmadjee you start with hindu trinity and it will end up with islamic trinity..

Good luck.

Comment

Not if everyone sticks to the topic!

Give it a try ...
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
        Not if everyone sticks to the topic!

Give it a try ...
        The only defence they have is to bring in distorted version of Islam, so it cannot be avoided.

Comment

Abdali,

I think the problem is two-sided. If we show restraint & not be similar in behavior to them, as taught by Islam, then the discussions can be very fruitful & informing!

But we are too easy on the trigger! Don't you think?

p.s: I am sure some smart alec is going to misuse my 'trigger' connotation.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Working...
          X