Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding Satanic verses and Freedom of expression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding Satanic verses and Freedom of expression...

salam, my dear guppies.
    I would like to know you viewpoints about this particular case: Salman Rushdie and his controversial book. We can then extend it to other cases.
    My personal point of view is that the guy is not a first rated author. infact if we hadnt made all that fuss about him, no one would've known who he is. I mean, his book the satanic verses is so bakwas, that one unless watches a lot of old indian movies and understands south asian coloqial lingo, one might not be able to follow it in the first place!
    Besides, in his book, the controversial character of 'mahound" which folks thought was his depiction of Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W), could be any thing...
    But the point is, he didnt adress "Muhammad" SAW directly...and that he should have the right to freedom of speech. IF we find the book very explicit as far as sexual content goes we can restrict public access to it, by labelling it adult. But I dont think banning it altogether is the answer. After all , I got hold of it, and anyone can get a hold of it if they want to read it...and u know what? it didnt corrupt my mind. On the contrary, I have resolved never to read his book again becasue they are boring, full of crap and stuff.
    We sholdnt pass death sentences on a guy for his work, even if that bothers our subconcious. I mean, if a private citizen goes and kills him for offending our dear prophet than thats ok ....the guy will then face consequences of his choice like that guy in British India who killed a shopkeeper for desecrating Muhammad(saw). But it is NOT the job of the state to pass edicts of death on the of literary work even if its crappy and thrid class.
    As a result of Khomenis hullaballoo, the rushdie is WORLD FAMOUS. Got many recognitions, lectures in berkely, Havard, Cornell... and is still there as a hallmark of stereotypical "intolerance" of muslims... Although it ws only khomeni who passed the sentence.
    I dont think a shi8work like satanic verses is worth making a fuss...atleast not the state.

[This message has been edited by Sultan Toora (edited December 02, 2001).]

They guy got famous because we chose to give him so much air time..

I say ignore the ignorant turd and let him rot in his sub par writings... but nooooo 'defenders' of Islam have to publicize the baboon and raise all hell giving him increased importance everyday.

wake up.. we can't bottle up our religion and sit air tight.. sooner or later more logical people foreign to our culture and traditions would wish to join the religion but would first want an answer to some absurd age-old interpretations. What will we do then.. shun them, declare them a different sect as is the common practice and shove them out the 'circle of islam'??
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Well I wanna know more about the SANTANIC VERSES....what is that actually? Did these Verses ever exist? What were they about? And so on.....Would appreciate your answers. Thank you.

------------------
      • “na maiN momin vich masiitaaN, na maiN muusaa, na fir'aun!”
      Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

Salman Rushdie just proved that he is s SATAN.

He wrote the book.
        The verses of the book are his.
        His verses.
        Salman's verses.
        Satanic verses.

Allah/Ar-Rahman/Ar-Raheem/Al-Hadi disgraces people who go against him in this world.

About the hereafter, its unimaginable.

Comment

Can anybody tell me exactly what lines in the novel 'Satanic Verses' hurt the Muslim sentiments?
          I personally don't read Rushdie myself. I found his 'Magic Realism' style a bit incomprehensible.
          I am sure Ayatollah Khomeini understood Magic Realism, read Rushdie, got offended and issued the Fatwa

Comment

Hmmm I don't know?!?

I was talking about this actually:

verse 19-20 “Do you see al Lat and al Uzza and the other third Manat?” Satan threw in the couplet “Those are the swans exalted; verily their intercession is to be expected”.
            What does this all mean. I can't figure it out. PLease help. Thank you.

------------------

Comment

Who has read the book, Satanic Verses?

I haven't so, I will hold my comments till later.

Though I agree with PA that most of his 'persona' is media driven ...
              I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
              - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Yes Ali, I guess that's the accusation.

I really don't know when and how it started. Personally I couldn't care less because anything like that wouldn't anyway enter the Qur'an because it's diametrically opposite to what the Qur'an teaches.

And I admit, I wouldn't spend my dollar or time reading Rushdie, no matter WHAT he's written about Islam so I think that's the best way to handle stoopid people.

Comment

Why I thought this GupShup was full of Islamic Scholars who are going to tell me which sentences in which page of 'Satanic Verses' are totally unacceptable

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                    Yes Ali, I guess that's the accusation.

I really don't know when and how it started. Personally I couldn't care less because anything like that wouldn't anyway enter the Qur'an because it's diametrically opposite to what the Qur'an teaches.

And I admit, I wouldn't spend my dollar or time reading Rushdie, no matter WHAT he's written about Islam so I think that's the best way to handle stoopid people.
                    Okay, but what does this verse mean. That's what I wanna know.
                    I failed to understand.

SO can you help?

------------------

Comment

I think that Rushdie is unfortunately just trying to make trouble. He is a decent writer but sadly doesn't see the beauty of God's words. I don't think that we need to dwindle over his future though. If we ever run across him, we should answer any questions he has about Islam, because it's obvious he has some issues. But he's his own problem, and he will have to answer to God in person one day. Only God is the best of judges and knows whats truly in Rushdie's heart. Let's not waste our precious time over a single man who's crying for attention.

Comment

Okay, but what does this verse mean. That's what I wanna know. I failed to understand
                        Ali Bhayya,

Pagan Arab's of that time claimed they heard the Prophet say that their idols of Laat, Manaat and Uzza were angels/daughters of God and their intercession is acceptable.

Of course what actually came to the Prophet were the following verses:

[an-Najm 53:19] Have you then considered the Lat and the Uzza,

[an-Najm 53:20] And Manat, the third, the last?

[an-Najm 53:21] What! for you the males and for Him the females!

[an-Najm 53:22] This indeed is an unjust division!

[an-Najm 53:23] They are naught but names which you have named, you and your fathers; Allah has not sent for them any authority. They follow naught but conjecture and the low desires which (their) souls incline to; and certainly the guidance has come to them from their Lord.

[an-Najm 53:24] Or shall man have what he wishes?

[an-Najm 53:25] Nay! for Allah is the hereafter and the former (life).

[an-Najm 53:26] And how many an angel is there in the heavens whose intercession does not avail at all except after Allah has given permission to whom He pleases and chooses.

[an-Najm 53:27] Most surely they who do not believe in the hereafter name the angels with female names.

[an-Najm 53:28] And they have no knowledge of it; they do not follow anything but conjecture, and surely conjecture does not avail against the truth at all.

Historians have concluded that The 'Nabataeans' worshipped a 'Triple' female god-head (The chief Nabatean goddess was al-Uzza, who reigned with her sisters Allat and Manat -

Excavations have found temples of the same goddesses.

Here's an interesting link Genesis of Eden - Encyclopedia

Comment

PA, thanks a lot, this helped me a lot. Now I understand. Thank you very much

------------------

Comment

Btw that means that the word Allah comes from Sumerian (al-Llah). Very interesting indeed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ali_R (edited December 05, 2001).]

Comment

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

Many other interesting tid bits in that website and other history websites. They clear the perspective of where the religion is coming from and where it is today.

Comment

Working...
                              X