I never could figure this out!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never could figure this out!!

Now every one knows Usury is strictly prohibited in Islam.
    And Everyone in the sub-continent knows what 'KabuliWallah' means!!
    For those who don't 'KabuliWalah' is another name for a moneylender.
    They used to be mostly from Kabul, I don't know how many of them are there now.
    My doubt is this. Since the late unlamented Taliban Government is so concerned about everything from length of your beard to the thickness of your burqaa, what did they do about usury.
    After all their own countrymen are a synonymn for that!!

Good question.

Actually, quite a few pathans (pashtuns) are known to be famous for usury and even in their own area they are not regarded as good people. They are like typical "baniyas" who are quite known in India. As far as I know Talebans didn't allow usury in their own governmental system but individuals do take usury. These practices are historic and I am glad people like you keep muslims on the correct path.

Comment

Nope, It is up to Muslims to choose their own path. I am just a non-interfering Hindu Brahmin
      I just wondered because. You can't be selectively rigid about religious rules you know.
      I really was wondering if Taliban had any official ruling on this like thier beard rule

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
        Now every one knows Usury is strictly prohibited in Islam.
        And Everyone in the sub-continent knows what 'KabuliWallah' means!!
        For those who don't 'KabuliWalah' is another name for a moneylender.
        They used to be mostly from Kabul, I don't know how many of them are there now.
        My doubt is this. Since the late unlamented Taliban Government is so concerned about everything from length of your beard to the thickness of your burqaa, what did they do about usury.
        After all their own countrymen are a synonymn for that!!
        Ask them. What about the banyas? Are you aware of their practices and that Hinduism does not say anything about usury.

You should not confuse religion with practice. Even if a sizeable population is on the wrong track, the law or policy does not become questionable.

Islam is very clear against riba. The words used against people involved in this practice contain the harshest warning. They are said to be at war with Allah and His Messenger.

------------------
        Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

There is nothing explicitly for or against in Hinduism on usury or any thing. We solved the problem that way
          I have no intention of hunting down Kabuliwallahs. Old debts nay turn up
          What I was intrigued about is what the Taliban did about it. Did they deny Visas to whoever practices Usury or stuff like that?

Comment

By the way, just a small clarification. The word riba is all inclusive. It means and includes anything in addition to the original. Usury is an English creation to defeat the intentions of the Christian scrioture.

------------------

Comment

taliban is something imposed from outside
              on afghanistan. it untypical for afghans to
              accept foriegners in their midst but taliban
              did it . afghans or pashtuns are not pan-islamist.

Comment

Islamically, it is crystal clear what is allowed and what is not allowed. If Talebans, President Musharraf or I do something which is not according to Islamic law then anyone can question them. Talebans don't have any authority to say whether Usury should be allowed or coz it is very clear to most of the muslims.

It might be different from the Hindu religion where you might think that earth is balanced since cow-mother is holding it on her horns or whatever. I can understand how difficult it might be for a hindu to follow a religion like that.

Comment

Well, Hindu Religion allows you to believe a lot of things at the same time.
                  We are talking about 'Riba' or 'Usury' here, and Afghanistan comes into discussions because so many Afghans practice it and it is supposed to have a pure Islamic Government, if Taliban is to be believed

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                    taliban is something imposed from outside
                    on afghanistan. it untypical for afghans to
                    accept foriegners in their midst but taliban
                    did it . afghans or pashtuns are not pan-islamist.
                    This should be in the section dealing with politics as it is irrelevant here. It is such an absurd statement that I would not even venture to answer it.

Comment

"I never could figure this out!!" < is that... >>>> What is UP with your grins< > man?

------------------
                      "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"-juvenal

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
                        There is nothing explicitly for or against in Hinduism on usury or any thing. We solved the problem that way
                        Very tactfull. What about the caste system (you wouldn't be concerned as you are a Brahmin), self-sacrifice of widow, etc. Do these practices come out of nowhere?
                        What I was intrigued about is what the Taliban did about it. Did they deny Visas to whoever practices Usury or stuff like that?
                        Oh! I thought you were seriously concerned about riba. This is just a triviality and should not have been in the religious section in the first place.

------------------

Comment

Typeing is easier than that's why I use it.
                          Anyway I guess the whole discussion is pointless now that the taliban has fallen down. THe Afghans can go back to their money changing ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanky:
                            "I never could figure this out!!" < is that... >>>> What is UP with your grins< > man?

The grin part gets me rolling all over the floor.

Comment

Well if I can't do this to convey my feelings about the topic, Abdali I have to do this since I am talking to loosers. I don't want to hurt your feelings.

Comment

Working...
                              X