Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rishta

Assalamu alaykum,

Can anyone tell me what is a rishta and how is it performed and what is given to who?
    InshAllah we are going to do a rishta on behalf of one of my brother in laws and it is a totally new thing for me.

Please help!

Thanks,
    Alabeena

wa alaikum as-Salam,

I have a rishta!

My rishta is someone who is interested in me for marriage.

A male rishta would go to the girls house to see her and her parents along with his side of the family(or the decision makers in his family).

If he likes the girl and she likes him(mutual interest), and the families are in mutual liking of one another then they usually set up another meeting to further the talks....if they are not interested however, the guys or girls party calls and tells the respective family.

Then it goes from there...

This is what I have always known a rishta to be... It's kinda exciting!!!

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

[This message has been edited by Munni (edited November 25, 2001).]
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Mubarak on your rishta!

This rishta we are doing inshAllah is one in the family.

It is almost verbally agreed, but now we have to go and do some presentation with witnesses infront of the girl's parents.

Comment

dear alabeena!

I am quite astonished at your question. Is it realy true that you dont know what is rishta or you just trying to be so innocent? because if it is true, than I am affraid your next question might not be as to what one does with the bride on the night of wedding?

I am amazed.

Comment

Maybe this will answer your question...I am not Pakistani...I am spanish and I am new to all of these cultural things...it is quite different as to how we would conduct an engagement, so I need as much input as possible.

Shukria!
          Alabeena

Comment

Salam

I'm a Arab and I know what a Rishta is
            I LOVE IT WHEN PAKIS HATE ME!

Comment

welceom to pak.org alabeena....

and hey majestic where r u from ????
              Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Please do not ridicule others. A genuine question has been asked here. If you have nothing considerate to say, it is better you do not say anything at all. And Remember we are in Ramadhan, so please restrain yourself from idle talk.

Sentinel.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited November 26, 2001).]

Comment

LOL Z!!!

Is this rishta business Islamic thing or more of a cultural thing. I get the idea that how Pakis & muslim Indians conduct this rista stuff is totally cultural, so Alabina u will get more responses if u post this in General or culture section.

So hon, if you're like totally new to this stuff, why don't u ask your hubby? You aught to get a straight answer at least from him, considering the fact that we at gupshup are from all over the world and I suppose things are done differently from family to family.

Comment

a rishta i guess is not quite when the guy and family come over to check out the girl and her family...that happens a lot. i think rishta is when the guy and his family begin to express serious interest in the girl and her family. you see, because at this point, it becomes serious business and may very well and insh'allh does, lead to the real thing, namely, marriage. i hope this helps good luck and it's great that you're interested in Pakistani culture and stuff...totally cool!

Comment

I'm from Yemen

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic:

Salam

I'm a Arab and I know what a Rishta is
                        where from?
                        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic:

I'm from Yemen
                          thats great....
                          i have many friends from yemen....
                          so u living in yemen now or .... ????
                          Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Well I asked my husband but since he has never had to do one of these rishta things before....no luck there.
                            Thanks for trying to help anyways

I thought maybe there was a religious side to rishta's whereby so many witnesses have to be present etc.

Khuda hafiz.

Alabeena

Comment

No I am not in Yemen now. I am in the US

Comment

Working...
                              X