Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sura Maida

Salam everyone,
    As i was reading Sura Maida - ayat 6 I read this: "Lawful to you is the food of people of the book"
    I may not have the exact tanslation. Now my question is what food comes under this? Is it everything except pork, alcohol, blood, dead animal. Does it mean can we eat the meat that they eat?
    This topic may have been discussed many times . But I will really appreciate your responses

roshnie,

Allah obviously meant ALL food. If he wanted us not to eat anything he would have specified it..

and as you already know.. He did.

so whatever doesn't fall in that category of forbidden food, is lawful to eat.

But it doesn't end here.. people have to complicate religion, so shortly you'll see apologetics vehemently trying to outlaw this and haraam that till you'd wonder how a simple statement by Allah could have such deviant interpretations.
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Paki abroad is right in some sense but truthfully this is a long debate, there are so many scholars who permit you to eat food from people of the book but others dont.

By people of the book it means Christians and Jews.

------------------
      Its our Wits that make us MEN .... 'Braveheart'

Comment

Originally posted by roshnie:
        Salam everyone,
        As i was reading Sura Maida - ayat 6 I read this: "Lawful to you is the food of people of the book"
        I may not have the exact tanslation. Now my question is what food comes under this? Is it everything except pork, alcohol, blood, dead animal. Does it mean can we eat the meat that they eat?
        This topic may have been discussed many times . But I will really appreciate your responses
        People of the book do not slaughter as they were taught by their prophets, so its really a hard choice to figure out whats ritgh and whats wrong. The importance is on how the animal was slaughtered ... mainly the animal must die due to drainage of blood not any other means. Now you are smart enough ... i believe niether christians or jews follow that slaughtering method.

------------------

Comment

The importance is on how the animal was slaughtered ... mainly the animal must die due to drainage of blood not any other means.
          and I'm sure you have Allah's words in the Qur'an somewhere to prove this theory? right?
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Quran was not brought to us in one day. It took many many days. I don't recall the exact period. Even at that time or during that period not everyone was following the right path as told by Allah. So if Allah did not want us to eat all that or had wanted us not to eat that meat slaughtered by them, Allah would have mentioned it somewhere. Don't you think? I know it says in the same sura that animal that is slaughter under some other name (except Allah ) is haram but thats all Quran says. Meat that is slaughtered here is not done with any name on on.
            So can someone quote from Quran any ayat in that text.
            Now if we start talking about that ie doing something in someones name, is niaz halal than? Mostly niaz is done in someones name and wahabi sect doesnot eat it. I know its another topic!

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
              and I'm sure you have Allah's words in the Qur'an somewhere to prove this theory? right?
              No such things are derived from Hadiths ... its just like saying that you have to pray, but does Quran anywhere mention how to do it ..

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                To be more specific .... Allahs name should haev been pronounced on the slaughtered animal firstly, then slaughtered according to the method described in our religion. Now if your in USA .... i think your pretty sure how the animal was slaughtered so that leaves out any question of doubt ... which is why i do not agree with scholars who say that say Bismillah and eat it, such was exmplified in Hadith only on n occasoin when our prophet (PBUH) did not or was not aware of how the animal had been slaughtered. In our case its crystal clear.

------------------

Comment

Quran was not brought to us in one day. It took many many days. I don't recall the exact period. Even at that time or during that period not everyone was following the right path as told by Allah. So if Allah did not want us to eat all that or had wanted us not to eat that meat slaughtered by them, Allah would have mentioned it somewhere. Don't you think? I know it says in the same sura that animal that is slaughter under some other name (except Allah ) is haram but thats all Quran says. Meat that is slaughtered here is not done with any name on on.
                  So can someone quote from Quran any ayat in that text.
                  Now if we start talking about that ie doing something in someones name, is niaz halal than? Mostly niaz is done in someones name and wahabi sect doesnot eat it. I know its another topic!
                  I realise what you mean but circumstances differ under which Quran was revealed and current situation. Thats why Quran is to be taken as a guide except for matters of faith where you shoudl stick to the quranic verses lieterally ... in other verses which are ambiguous there is some flexibility and you must use common sense not hair splitting arguments.

You cannot achieve a precise answer to such verses ... thats why you look into ahadith for further guidance, if you cant find it there better to either avoid it or use ur common sense as long as what you do doesnt refute your religion in some place.

------------------

Comment

LooksCanKill Thanks for the response. I would like to read those Hadiths. Can you plz specify where to find them? Are they on the net?

PakistaniAbroad : I feel excatly the same. Allah meant ALL food. But when I hear various discussion it confuses me.

Thanks

Comment

Assalam o Alaikum!

One mistake that we generally make is to interpret parts of ayaat without reading the whole subject as the same thing is covered in various parts of the Qur'an and in the preceding and succeeding ayaat. Also, teh language of the Qur'an is Arabic and, at times words have different connotations.

It follows, that interpretation may only be done by a person who has knowledge of all facts and a thorough knowledge of the language.

There are several issues that govern the subject and even scholars tend to have different opinions. The basic things that can be deduced are as follows:

1. The slaughter should not have been done in the name of someone or some diety, other than Allah.

2. The prohibited things should not be there. Pork, blood, etc. These are specifically prohibited in the preceding ayaat. If the food contains blood which has not been properly drained out, it is better not to eat it. If it has been cooked in lard, it should not be taken.

3. The animal should not have died naturally, by falling or by a severe blow.

The support that I get for eating at houses of people of the book is from the fact that Rasool Allah was poisoned by a Jewish woman through food she had cooked for him and his companions. This was quite late in his life and he in fact died from the effects of this poisoning. So the instructions could not have been changed.

I have investigated somewhat and find that McDonalds uses lard. So do others. We must check before we eat in such places.

------------------
                      Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

LooksCanKill Thanks for the response. I would like to read those Hadiths. Can you plz specify where to find them? Are they on the net?

PakistaniAbroad : I feel excatly the same. Allah meant ALL food. But when I hear various discussion it confuses me.

Thanks

This is a a partial collection from Sahih Muslim ... it clarifies prnoucning Allahs name before you slaughter an animal ...
                        http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...m/022.smt.html

Book 022, Number 4818:
                        Jundab b. Sufyan reported: I was with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) on the day of 'Id al-Adha. While he had not returned after having offered (the Id prayer) and finished it, he saw the flesh of the sacrificial animals which had been slaughtered before he had completed the prayer. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: One who slaughtered his sacrificial animal before his prayer or our prayer ('Id), he should slaughter another one in its stead, and he who did not slaughter, he should slaughter by reciting the name of Allah.

Book 022, Number 4846:
                        Rafi' b. Khadij is reported to have said: Allah's Messenger, we are going to encounter the enemy tomorrow, but we have no knives with us. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Make haste or be careful (in making arrangements for procuring knives) which would let the blood flow (and along with it) the name of Allah is also to be recited. Then eat, but not the tooth or nail. And I am going to tell you why it is not permissible to slaughter the animal with the help of tooth and bone; and as for the nail. it is a bone, and the bone is the knife of Abyssinians. He (the narrator) said: There fell to our lot as spoils of war camels and goats, and one of the camels among them became wild. A person (amongst usl struck It with an arrow which brought it under control. whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: This camel became wild like wild animals, so if you find any animal getting wild, you do the same with that

These are from Sahih Bukhari
                        http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...i/067.sbt.html

Volume 7, Book 67, Number 406:
                        Narrated Rafi bin Khadij:

We were with the Prophet in Dhul-Hulaifa and there the people were struck with severe hunger. Then we got camels and sheep as war booty (and slaughtered them). The Prophet was behind all the people. The people hurried and fixed the cooking pots (for cooking) but the Prophet came there and ordered that the cooking pots be turned upside down. Then he distributed the animals, regarding ten sheep as equal to one camel. One of the camels ran away and there were a few horses with the people. They chased the camel but they got tired, whereupon a man shot it with an arrow whereby Allah stopped it. The Prophet said, "Among these animals some are as wild as wild beasts, so if one of them runs away from you, treat it in this way." I said. "We hope, or we are afraid that tomorrow we will meet the enemy and we have no knives, shall we slaughter (our animals) with canes?" The Prophet said, "If the killing tool causes blood to gush out and if Allah's Name is mentioned, eat (of the slaughterer animal). But do not slaughter with a tooth or a nail. I am telling you why: A tooth is a bone, and the nail is the knife of Ethiopians."

Volume 7, Book 67, Number 415:
                        Narrated 'Aisha:

A group of people said to the Prophet, "Some people bring us meat and we do not know whether they have mentioned Allah's Name or not on slaughtering the animal." He said, "Mention Allah's Name on it and eat." Those people had embraced Islam recently.
                        Volume 7, Book 67, Number 438:
                        Narrated Abu Tha'laba:

Allah's Apostle forbade the eating of the meat of beasts having fangs.

These are some ahadith but still you may need to see tafseer of some of them to understand better.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X