islamic names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

islamic names

I was just interested in the following, perhaps someone of you can inform me:

as far as I've heard most if not all muslim males are called "mohammed" alongside their other name given by their parents. I wanted to know whether it is compulsery for every muslim male to be called "mohammed" or are there any instances in which ppl don't have this name???

and is their any special name for girls???

------------------
    Don't talk unless u can improve the silence
    Why so serious ... ?

First of all, "Muhammad" isnt actually the name given to the child usually ... you see that way because in your tradition or legal way of writing their a first name and last name, and our names when written legally in your documents appear as if our name were "Muhammad", not true ... usually is used as a Prefix name, the middle name is actually the name we have but i'm talking in Pakistani or Indian tradition. In arabs its a bit different.

Like for instance my name is Muhammad Arif Ansari .... my actual name is Arif, Muhammad is just a prefix name which when written legally in foreign documents would appear in the place where you write your first name, and so you would think that my actual name is Muhammad .... i hope that explains it.

------------------
    Its our Wits that make us MEN .... 'Braveheart'

Comment

LCK well, you are right that for example in your case your "first" name is Arif. but what I'm interested in is that is it compulsery for every muslim male to have Mohammed as a "Prefix"name . again to take your aexample: were you allowed to be called only Arif Ansari? or is it nessacery that your name also includes Mohammad

------------------
      Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by NeSCio:
        is it compulsery for every muslim male to have Mohammed as a "Prefix"name .
        Not at all.
        "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Originally posted by aishaA:
          Not at all.
          ok thnx!

------------------
          Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Working...
          X