Can somebody explain this verse??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can somebody explain this verse??

Quraan(5,5)-- Made lawful to you this day are At­Tayyibât [all kinds of Halâl (lawful) foods, which Allâh has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, etc., milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits, etc.). The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals, etc.) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, when you have given their due Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girl-friends. And whosoever disbelieves in the Oneness of Allâh and in all the other Articles of Faith [i.e. His (Allâh's), Angels, His Holy Books, His Messengers, the Day of Resurrection and Al­Qadar (Divine Preordainments)], then fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers. "

My question is particularly about the word "girl-friends" is the literal meaning applicable here or is that one can not at all be friends with women????? other than marriage?
    I read another translation and it used the words "Nor secret intrigues" for the word girl-friends...... I would be obliged if I can hear some learned views/ explanation of the verse.

hmmmm... that is a good question.... can any 1 help answer this question....

Comment

Who is the translator. Seems very unfamiliar.

Friendship with the oppsite sex is not allowed as it can result in relationships that are prohibited. There is a hadeeth that when a male and female are alone, the third person is the devil.

------------------
      Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

In an attempt to translate the meaning of (5:5) here's what notable translators say about Muttakhidhi Akhdaan

Pickthall:

secret concubines

Yusufali:

secret intrigues

Shakir:

paramours in secret

Sher Ali:

secret paramours

Rashad Khalifa

secret lovers

I guess "girlfriend" is a little far fetched.

Also look at this verse:

(at-Taubah 9:71) And the believers, men and women, are Auliya of one another. They enjoined good and forbid evil and observe Prayer and pay the Zakaat and obey ALLAH and HIS Messenger. It is these on whom ALLAH will have mercy. Surely, ALLAH is Mighty and Wise.

Auliya is correctly translated many places as 'allies' or 'protectors' or 'protecting friends'.

------------------
        These are GOD's revelations that we recite to you truthfully. In which Hadith other than GOD and His revelations do they believe?(45:6)
        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Working...
        X