Reading Quran in English / urdu during Ramzan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Quran in English / urdu during Ramzan

Salam, Every year in ramzan I try to read the whole Quran. In past its always been in arabic. However, I don't understand a word that I read. I am not saying that in a negative way. This year I am thinking of doing that in english or urdu. I thought of this since I learned meaning of Ayats in namaz. I think my namaz has much more effect on me now because I kind of understand what I am reciting.
    However, I have been told "NO" you have to read Quran in Arabic only to achieve the purpose? Is anyone aware of any Ayats or Hadis that states this?

Thanks

Roshnie,

That's exactly the way I feel too. I don't have any scholarly advice to offer but would quickly like to make a point.

Ask the people who have said "NO", what is the purpose of the Quran? and how can you achieve the purpose without understanding what you are reading. I realize that some of the meaning is lost or not conveyed during translations but u get so much more of the message than not understanding anything.

Did you ever notice that everything in Islam has a reason and so it all makes sense. In the past I too, only knew the arabic w/o understanding the meaning so Islam was like going through mechanical motions without true meaning. What's the use of doing everything it says without understanding it? Learning the meaning of some surahs and everything done in Salah has given a meaning to me. Isn't the point of Islam, Taqwah ( Awarness of Allah subhana watala). Without the meaning, the words didn't mean that much to me. When I know the meaning I'm able to connect with Allah and truly appreciate him. So from my personal experience I agree with you. And to me, it makes more sense to read the Quran in English so that I can know the message that Allah has sent down to us. Even if i read the quran day & night a 100 times, I'm not going to understand the message right now, until I gain the quranic Arabic language skills.

So here's my 2 c.

Comment

u can read the tranlsation of the Quran in other languages to understand it....
      but its recitation in Arabic adds to ur good deeds....

also u r not allowed to read the Quran in any other language except Arabic when u pray....
      all ur prayers (salaat) MUST be in Arabic....
      u cannot read the translation during the prayers....

it is a very good deed, however, to learn the meaning of the Quran but u must not forget the benefits of the recitation of the Holy Quran in in its original Arabic recital....
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by armughal:
        but its recitation in Arabic adds to ur good deeds....

Can you please cite a valid source?

all ur prayers (salaat) MUST be in Arabic....
        u cannot read the translation during the prayers....

Good point, I'm glad u brought that up. We wouldn't want someone to mistaken that its ok to perform Salah in any other language.

it is a very good deed, however, to learn the meaning of the Quran but u must not forget the benefits of the recitation of the Holy Quran in in its original Arabic recital....
        by benefits, are you talking solely about sawab or others? If so, please list the benefits.

Comment

Well, I am an Arab, I do read the Quran in Arabic but I don't understand some of the words also, I mean since the Quranic Arabic is more formal and all, but I still read it in Arabic and read the meaning in English. But it is very sweet to read it in Arabic, even though you might not understand it, it still touches your heart.

Wa Salam

I LOVE IT WHEN PAKIS HATE ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic:

Well, I am an Arab, I do read the Quran in Arabic but I don't understand some of the words also, I mean since the Quranic Arabic is more formal and all, but I still read it in Arabic and read the meaning in English. But it is very sweet to read it in Arabic, even though you might not understand it, it still touches your heart.

Wa Salam
            The arabic being receited touches my heart when I have a general sense of what is being said. I think it touches your heart, majestic, b/c you're able to get a general idea of what the quranic arabic is saying.

Comment

I don't understand if you are saying that Namaz should be read in English/Urdu or just Quran.

Namaz should be read in Arabic but there is no problem if you want to understand Quran in English or Urdu.

Remember, translations are only the closest meaning and according to Hazrat Aisha (ra) Prophet (pbuh) is the best translation of Quran. Hence, Prophet (pbuh) sunnah should be taken into account for understanding the ayats. An example of Quranic translation is this ayat which talks about wife beating and non-muslims normally object to that. Even some scholars when they translate this ayat they put "in a light manner" in brackets after the word beat. It seems that they are embarass of the word beat (idhrib in Arabic). Famous scholars have not put any such thing in the brackets coz they know that since the best translation of Quran is prophet (pbuh) life and in his life he never beat any of his wife so this word "idhrib" is not a literal meaning beating. Some people claim that prophet's (pbuh) wives were different from other women then we see in Quran which says that Prophet (pbuh) wives acted like normal women and sometime conspired against each other but even then prophet (pbuh) never used any violence so the translation of this ayat doesn't mean you can just start beating your wife. Now, if u read a direct translation then it is good coz u r trying to understand but it's better if you take every possible authentic thing into account before being convinced that it is the right translation.

I don't know if I have confused u but in brief you should try to recite Quran (in Arabic) and you get more reward when you try to understand it but shouldn't try to read your namaz in English/Urdu.

[This message has been edited by khan_sahib (edited November 16, 2001).]

Comment

Thank you all for your responses.
                I am sorry that I was not clear about namaz. I never meant to offer namaz in any other language but Arabic. All I meant was that now when I offer namaz I know the meaning as I am sayng it in Arabic. It has made a huge difference for me.

And Yasmine has described my feelings exactly. Islam is a based on reason and if one understands what they are reading, adds much more meaning to it.

I no longer want to rely on Mullahs and mulvis to find out the meaning of Quran.
                Well this year I have decided to read whole Quran in English to get a better undestanding because when people ask me questions, I go numb. I want to understand the Quran rather than just read it for the sake of sawab. I think that in present day and time its very important to understand and be able to clearify and defend (if needed) and not just talk without reasoning.

As far as sawab is concerned, its between me and God as it is Haqooq ul Allah and He is very Rehman ur Raheem.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it much.

Comment

If you don’t understand what you read, what’s the purpose of it to begin with? Nimaz/Quran should be read in the language that one understands.

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                    If you don’t understand what you read, what’s the purpose of it to begin with? Nimaz/Quran should be read in the language that one understands.
                    Very incorrect answer. I am surprised at a post which is based purely on conjecture and personal impressions rather than on knowledge.

My simple question to those who feel that the Qur'an can be read in some other language only. Can you get the same benefit out of a translation in Urdu of Shakespear or in English of Iqbal? The beauty lies in the original language and no matter how good the translation. The translator cannot translate perfectly. Each language has its own words and perspectives. As one of the Arabic speakers has written, the language of the Qur'an is not the Arabic of today. Does that justify the conversion to current version. I am sure you will agree that the answer is a big NO.

Thus when you want to read the Qur'an for the sake of getting sawab, you must read it in its pure form. When you want to understand it, you may read it in any language. But even here it is preferable to read an ayat in its original form and then read its meaning and tafseer.

Insha Allah, Allah will give you the ajr for your efforts.

Comment

>>>Can you get the same benefit out of a translation in Urdu of Shakespear or in English of Iqbal?<<<

There’s your answer Factfinder. If you believe that the non-native speakers draw little benefit from translations, you can imagine what kind of difficulty they must face if reading in something that is completely foreign to them. I am sure, if all the so-called keepers of the faith got together, they can come up with acceptable translations. The fact is that Mullahs of Saudi Arabia are the strongest opponents of any such effort. There was a movement in North Africa where Berbers wanted Quran to be read in Berber, but it was suppressed by force and by objections from the Saudi Arabian and Egyptian scholars. It is nothing but Imperialism that has kept this great book from being understood in the languages that people understand.

FYI Factfinder, if something is not confined to your standards, it is not necessarily "incorrect".

Comment

You miss the point. The Qur'an was revealed in Arabic and must be read in Arabic. It must remain in the same language to remain universal. It must also remain in that language to fulfill the guarantee to remain in-tact till the Day of Judgement.

Demands to change it have to be firmly met so that we do not have hundreds of versions like the bible. Translations are not interpretations per se, but they are renditions in the language of the translator. That would be against the spirit of the Divine text.

Comment

How many millions out of One Billion followers of Islam understand Arabic? More Muslims speak Bengali than Arabic (about 25 time more). There is nothing in Quran that says that it can not be read in other languages. It was revealed in Arabic because Prophet Mohammad, may blessing and peace be upon him, spoke Arabic. Torah and Ingeel were reveled in Hebrew. Quran was meant to be revealed to the entire humankind, and it is not important if it was revealed in Arabic or Pashtoo. If you keep it out of understanding reach of millions upon millions of Muslims, it defeats the purpose. If a bunch of Mullahs cannot agree upon the “correct” translation of the Book, they don’t deserve to be in a position of spiritual dominance. They should instead sell Pakooras in Ramazan.

Comment

If a bunch of Mullahs cannot agree upon the “correct” translation of the Book, they don’t deserve to be in a position of spiritual dominance. They should instead sell Pakooras in Ramazan
                            never thought there'll be a day.. but I agree
                            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                              If a bunch of Mullahs cannot agree upon the “correct” translation of the Book, they don’t deserve to be in a position of spiritual dominance. They should instead sell Pakooras in Ramazan.
                              Indeed. Cannot agree more

Factfinder: I never said that I would start reading Quran in English only. You know why problems are arising in our society because we the common public don't understand a word of arabic and believe in whatever is told to us. Have you seen any or most mullahs emphasizing the fact that you must read the meaning. Instead in khutbas all they do is to talk about hell and hoors!
                              God is very generous- not so zalim as potrayed by the mullahs. And to find that out you got to read the meaning. And I agree we get sawab if we do it in arabic but is there again any reference that sawab will be less if Quran is read in any other language for the sake of understanding it?
                              Factfinder you called this post based on personal impression etc, but where is your fact? You are again giving me suni-sunai bateen.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X