Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the other type of aeitikaaf?

Assalam-o-alaikum

I have a question..few days back i was attending a session on Ramadhan. One of the speaker lady said that besides normal aeitikaaf of ten days..we can do short nafli aeitikaaf for sawab..between prayers in mosques..lets say between the time of zuhr and asr or asr and maghrib and so forth. It was something new for me. So i am wondering if what i was being told is correct or if some one can put some light on this issue?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Qrius (edited November 17, 2001).]

www.fatwa-online.com

Question: Does i'tikaaf have a fixed time or is it restricted to Ramadhaan, or is it permissible in other than Ramadhaan?

Response: What is prescribed is that it should be in Ramadhaan only. This is because the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) did not make i'tikaaf in other than Ramadhaan, except what he (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) did in Shawwaal, after having left doing i'tikaaf in Ramadhaan one year, and so did it in Shawwaal. Yet if a person was to make i'tikaaf in other than Ramadhaan it would be permissible, because 'Umar (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) asked the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) saying: "I vowed to do i'tikaaf for a night or a day in the Masjid al-Haraam." The Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said: "Fulfil your vow."

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen

woman performing i'tikaaf at home

Question:
    Is it permissible for a woman to perform i'tikaaf at the place of prayer in her home?

Response:
    No. If a woman wishes to perform i'tikaaf, then she should do so in a masjid, so long as there is no danger in that (such as free-mixing and complacency regarding the hijaab, etc). (However), if there is any danger in that, then she should not perform i'tikaaf.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen

Specifying a particular day for i'tikaaf

Question:
    Is it permissible for one who wishes to perform the i'tikaaf to specify a particular day itself for i'tikaaf?

Response: It is not for him to specify a particular day itself within which to regularly perform i'tikaaf, rather, he should take care to perform i'tikaaf in the last ten (days and nights) of Ramadhaan in accordance with (the guidance of) the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam).

And with Allaah lies all success, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Comment

Yes you can do a short aitekaaf while you are in the mosque. Whenever you go to mosque just make the neeyat of aitekaaf "nawaid-o sunnat-il aitekaaf" and the time you will spend in the mosque will get the reward of aitekaaf during ramadhan till u stay in the mosque.

Comment

Sadiaa, After reading your post i am concerned about the part that talks about women..does this mean that all those who do aeitikaaf in pakistan(at home) aren't allowed to do that? coz most of the places backhome don't have arrangements for ladies in mosques..

khan_sahib, thanks..i did also read few articles on the topic..and only two of them indicated Mustahab aeitikaaf..so i was just making sure that i am getting the right info

Comment

Originally posted by Qrius:
          Sadiaa, After reading your post i am concerned about the part that talks about women..does this mean that all those who do aeitikaaf in pakistan(at home) aren't allowed to do that? coz most of the places backhome don't have arrangements for ladies in mosques..

Yea lotsa women in pakistan do aeitikaf at home, but since its a fatwa, i'd go by this one or just to be on the safe side i'd ask a couple other scholars. InshAllah will try to look up some other fatwas on women performing aeitikaf at home.

Comment

Performing I`tikaf in the Masjid (seclusion in the Mosque)

I`tikaf is not restricted to men only, women also can do it :

'Aisha (the wife of the Prophet) reported that the Prophet, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, used to practice I`tikaf in the last ten days of Ramadan till he died and then his wives used to practice I`tikaf after him.[Bukhari]

Dear Sister! when reading this do not forget the modesty and the Hijab of the wife of the Prophet (S) that you should observe if you intend to perform I`tikaf.

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited November 17, 2001).]

Comment

AoA, i've recently heard from different people that women can do ietikaf at home, but don't know about it's authenticity.

------------------
              "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
              (11:55-56)

Comment

Working...
              X