Planning on Hajj this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning on Hajj this year?

In our culture, Hajj is seen as something to be done in old age. I've gotten the impression that people take care of all their obligations and then finally go to Hajj, it may be when all their kids have completed high school or college or are married. When is the right time?

I didn't think that I would be considering hajj until later atleast a few more years. So I'm very confused at myself that a part of me wants to go and another part of me is saying that I"m insane (does that xcuse me then?). It wasn't my idea so am I becoming brainwashed by someone else's idea? Am I becoming influenced by a powerful talker?

Ok, I've been trying to reason with myself... Requirements for hajj are (1)Sanity (2)Muslim Adult (3) If you can afford (4) Physically able

Check for 2 & 4, Now 1 & 3 are subjective...

Sanity---- quite questionable. My friends are already questioning my sanity, especially my non-muslim ones and I'm afraid my family will question it too. I just don't understand why I want to go. I wasn't thinking about this 24 hours ago, why now? 24 hrs ago I was planning to work for the next few months with a relief organization abroad. But relief work had been going through my head for years and years and I was just trying to find the right time to go and my parents have been against me leaving US except on vaction to the 1st world. Oh no, they don't think lowely about the 3rd world, but they just don't think their kids can handle it. I've just had this extremely strong need to do relief work for years and years but how can I truly feel strong about something that occured to me less than 12 hours ago?

Affordability-----My first reaction was no way, I'm unemployed but I can afford it. I just think everyone will tell me i can't afford it. A bunch of excuses are running in my head. yup, Allah is the best of all providers...

I was afraid to go. At the thought of it being among so many people but being alone. Yes, I know, I know, we all wake up alone on the Day of judgement.

I don't know... I'm just so confused. Does all this confusion mean that my deen is weak?

So anyone planning on going? don't worry, I'm not asking to meet.

Salaam sister Yasmine,

I don't know... I'm just so confused. Does all this confusion mean that my deen is weak?
    No, no of course not. Your post is actually an indication that due to your eemaan, you are inquiring about Hajj. This is on the contrary to many people who fulfill the conditions, yet choose not to go through their own choice, which is in fact an indication of weak eemaan, unless out of ignorance.

Ok, I've been trying to reason with myself... Requirements for hajj are (1)Sanity (2)Muslim Adult (3) If you can afford (4) Physically able
    With these conditions out-lined in mind, it is most advisable to perform Hajj as early in ones life as possible. Firstly becuase this is from the pillars of Islaam, as you are well aware, and secondly if one fulfills all the requirements and does not choose to make Hajj, he/she in fact falls into sin, as this obligatory act is being ignored.

And an additional point, those who have been fortunate enough to perform Hajj - by the blessing of Allaah - from experience will advise you to make Hajj at a young age while still energetic. It can be very challenging even for the young let alone the old to whom it can prove difficult.

Another condition of Hajj, that can be rolled into your no. 3 listed above, is that one has paid off any outstanding debts that may have been incurred throughout his/her life. Further, for those who have responsibilities, such as the married with young children or minders for disabled people etc, they need to make sure these are taken care off.

Another very important condition that must be fulfilled by the females, is that they have a mahram to accompany them throughout the journey.

In your case, why do your freinds non-Muslim think of you as being insane? It may be better to ignore their comments until you have a professional analysis. There is a difference between insanity and maturity. Do you feel you are insane in anyway?

Do not go alone. As mentioned above, females must be ucompanied by a mahram as the Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam ordered. If you cannot find a mahram, then be patient and make du'aa that Allaah - subhaan wa ta'aala - grants you the opportunity to fulfill this obligation as a Muslim. Continuously make du'aa.

And as soon as the opportunity arises and all the conditions are met, do not delay any further, and go ...

May Allaah make your affairs easy and grant you the opportunity to perform a prosperous Hajj. aameen.

Wassalaam

------------------
    "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hasnain:
      In your case, why do your freinds non-Muslim think of you as being insane? It may be better to ignore their comments until you have a professional analysis. There is a difference between insanity and maturity. Do you feel you are insane in anyway?
      Think of it this way, I'm a typical young american, all of a sudden I've gained an interest in my religion and am avoiding certain social activities with my friends. No, I'm not really insane in that sense that I need a professional analysis. I've never felt clearer about my purpose on this planet than now. People tend to think you are crazy if you become conservative all of a sudden ( 4 months). Plus, most people are working hard trying to climb that corporate ladder, and everyone laid off has been frantically searing for a job. I'm not really searching for a job, looking into things that I've always wanted to do like the relief work, travel, and studying things that interest me, not the typical response you get from a 20 something. So ofcourse this would sound insane to the instant gratification seeking yuppies of our generation. But when I start hanging out with them, my clarity escapes me and ofcourse I question my decisions.

[quote]
      Another condition of Hajj, that can be rolled into your no. 3 listed above, is that one has paid off any outstanding debts that may have been incurred throughout his/her life. Further, for those who have responsibilities, such as the married with young children or minders for disabled people etc, they need to make sure these are taken care off.
      [Quote]

Thanks to the blessing of Allah, have never incurred any debt. $ really is not a issue but when thinking of trotting the globe for a year, makes me feel that a job or a sabbatical from a job would somehow make me seem more reasonable. No other responsibilities either so the time to do everything seems perfect now.

Do not go alone. As mentioned above, females must be accompanied by a mahram as the Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam ordered. If you cannot find a mahram, then be patient and make du'aa that Allaah - subhaan wa ta'aala - grants you the opportunity to fulfill this obligation as a Muslim. Continuously make du'aa.
      What's a Mahram? How do I find one? What about if I was going in a tour group with 30 other people? Would I still need a Mahram?

Thanks Brother Hasain for the response.

Comment

For a woman, a Mahram is a male relative who is either your husband, or a male who is so closely related to you that you cannot marry him, i.e. father, brother, uncle, grandfather. But NOT cousin.

This requirement exists to ensure safety and security for women on Hajj. Like you said, you are scared of being alone amongst so many strangers.
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Gaining an interest in your Religion, be it sudden or over time, is most definately a blessing from Allaah - subhaan wa ta'aala.

By avoiding certain social activities as you are, is something we all try and do once we try and improve ourselves as Muslims. This is also from eemaan Insha'Allaah, as you are trying to please Allaah instead of His creation.

Without a doubt, your friends will notice the change in you, but don't let that put you off or distract you in anyway from your quest to learn about Islaam and follow your religion. Anyone who becomes interested in Religion will tell you of the tests and tribulations he/she will face. The Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam - was the best of the Believers, yet he was the most tested. Similarly, you will experience tests, perhaps from your friends or your family or other types, but be strong and don't let them put doubts in your head. Have faith and put your total trust in Allaah.
          Whenever you feel confused over an issue, refer all matters to the Qur'aan and Sunnah Insha'Allaah.

Alhamdulillaah, you have not incurred any debts.

What's a Mahram? How do I find one? What about if I was going in a tour group with 30 other people? Would I still need a Mahram?
          As Scientist has pointed out, a mahram, by definition can either be your husband or a man you are not Islamically eligible to marry. For example, father, brother, son, grandson, paternal uncle, maternal uncle, nephew.

Yes, if you go on a tour group with 30 people, islamically you are still required to have a mahram. The reason for this is that your mahram protects you and sees to your needs throughout the Hajj period. Although there are many organisations who arrange Hajj tours whereby groups of women are able to travel without their mahrams, this is in fact not allowed in Islaam and its impermissibility has been agreed to by consensus of the scholars.

Hajj is not easy - it involves many challenging rituals, for both men and women, but particularly for women. This is why the Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam describes Hajj as being jihaad for women.

Try and take one of your close relatives (mahram) with you on the journey Insha'Allaah, if possible. If not, then please be patient, as Hajj shall not be compulsory upon you until you find a mahram. Also, make du'aa that Allaah - subhaan wa ta'aala - makes this possible for you.

May Allaah reward you for your patience, and assist you in your sincere endeavours to accomplish in fulfilling the Pillars of Islaam. And may Allaah - the Most Merciful -increase you in eemaan and knowledge, and favour you in this world and in the Hereafter. aameen.

Remember, sincere du'aa from the heart is the key.

Wassalaam

-----------------
          "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

[This message has been edited by Hasnain (edited November 15, 2001).]

Comment

Salaam guys and thanks for your response & advice.

Does the Mahram really have to be male, not an older female friend? I don't have any male relatives who fulfill the requirements so that is why I'm asking about female companions.

Although there are many organisations who arrange Hajj tours whereby groups of women are able to travel without their mahrams, this is in fact not allowed in Islaam and its impermissibility has been agreed to by consensus of the scholars.

Hmmmmm...If this is not allowed, I guess then I do not meet requirements to perform Hajj this year. But InshaAllah sometime soon.

I appreciate your responses and clarifying the topic. I wasn't able to find anything about a Mahram in my books.

Salaam

Comment

If you are quite keen in performing Hajj then try getting a Mehram

Comment

Originally posted by Yasmine:
                Does the Mahram really have to be male, not an older female friend?
                Yes, the mahram can only be male.

I appreciate your responses and clarifying the topic
                That's quite ok. You're most welcome.

-----------------
                "No leaf falls except that He has willed it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Working...
                X