Raising your pant cuffs above your ankles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising your pant cuffs above your ankles

Why is this the custom of men to do raise their pant cuffs above their ankles b4 namaaz?
    Some say its to be done because it will save you from hell fire. Its an irrational explanation and I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Narrated by Abu Huraira, in Sahih Al-Bukhari:
    The Prophet said, "The part of an Izar which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire."

Izar means man's dress, trousers, shalwar, or whatever....

however, this is not ordered only during the prayer but at all time....
    men r not allowed to wear a dress that extends below the ankles....
    the reason for his is that at the time of the Prophet this practice of hanging the dress below the ankles was a sign of pride (takabbur) and also cuz a longer dress is bound to catch up dirt from the ground when the person is walking....

anyway, the main thing is that men r ordered to keep their ankles bare (except when wearing shoes/socks ofcourse) and it is not meant only for the duration of the prayer....
    Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Aah, so its really your intention if you have a clothing hanging in pride. Otherwise it isn't hanging in hellfire. Makes sense now.

------------------
      Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
      Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

It's understandable that the same rule does not apply to women, I mean, what with their dainty ankles and all, a man might be tempted to take her right there and then.

----------
        I'm broken

[This message has been edited by Sarah Splendor (edited November 12, 2001).]

Comment

Please, Please, Think logically.

Would a mighty God worry about the length of your trousers and guage the intensity of hell fire on the basis of the same??

a man might be tempted to take her right there and then
          not all female ankles are that attractive

------------------
          These are GOD's revelations that we recite to you truthfully. In which Hadith other than GOD and His revelations do they believe?(45:6)
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Once again one of those things that have ceased to make sense.
            It was in time of the prophet that hanging clothes in a particular way was show of pride, but its not so anymore.
            So it would make sense not to do this now. But whatever!

------------------
            -Building From Scratch-
            I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
            I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Splendor:
              [B]It's understandable that the same rule does not apply to women, I mean, what with their dainty ankles and all, a man might be tempted to take her right there and then.

----------
              I'm broken
              .....[B]
              Thanks God that you didn't demand an 'equality' here

Thank you for understanding

------------------
              We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

To understand the rule, we should look at the arab dress. The long maxi-like dress the arab men wear is open from the bottom. This means, that if its length is longer than the ankles, then it will drag and sweep the floor when you walk. Only the rich people could afford to spoil their dresses like that and it was considered a sign of wealth and pride to have long dresses sweeping the floor. Therefore the prohibition came that the men should keep their dresses above ankles and not show pride in the wealth.

Even in present days, the current arab royalty always wear long showy dresses where the dress extends far below the ankle and sweeps the floor. Its considered a rich thing to do. This is what is specifically disallowed in the hadeeth.

However, I fail to see a parallel in other dresses like trousers or jeans, which if longer than ankle do not generally sweep the floor, and thus technically are not a sign of pride or anything. Although if anyone raises their trousers up or folds it up for namaaz, and insists on a technical application of the hadeeth, I won't argue with them.

To each his own. No point in arguing on such mundane points.

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                  Thanks God that you didn't demand an 'equality' here

Thank you for understanding

You're welcome By the way, i was being sarcastic.

------------------
                  Splendor f*** killed me

Comment

Too right Pristine

Comment

Working...
                    X