Bible & Quran Say: DO NOT EAT PORK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bible & Quran Say: DO NOT EAT PORK

Both the Bible and the Qur’an prohibit the eating of pork. Muslims are aware of this prohibition and observe it strictly. However, most readers of the Bible say they do not know where they can find this in the Bible.

In the book of Leviticus, chapter 11, v. 7, it is recorded that God declares the pig to be unclean for believers. Then, in verse 8, God says: “You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you”. This command is repeated in Deuteronomy 14:7-8. Then, in Isaiah 65:2-4, and 66:17, God issues a stern warning against those who eat pork.

Some people are aware of this prohibition from God, but they say that they can eat pork because St. Paul said that all food is clean in his letter to the Romans 14:20. St. Paul said this because he believed (as he wrote in his letter to the Ephesians 2:14-15) that Jesus had abolished the Law with all its commandments and regulations. He seems, however, to have misunderstood what he heard about Jesus. In the Gospel According to Matthew 5:17-20, Jesus is reported to have said quite the contrary, as follows: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law . . . ." Jesus then went on in that passage (in verse 19) to denounce anyone who would break the smallest commandment and teach others likewise. He also praised his true followers who will practice and teach even the smallest commandment. One of the commandments, as we have seen, is to stay away from pork.

This is why the true followers of Jesus, holding on to his teachings, did not let unclean food such as pork enter their mouths, so that Peter, the chief disciple, can say, “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean” (Acts of the Apostles, ch. 10, v. 14)

Five chapters later in the Acts of the Apostles, 15:29, we find that the original disciples still differentiate between clean and unclean foods, and this time Paul is in agreement with them. Six chapters later, in ch. 21, v. 25, their decision to impose food regulations on believers is mentioned without regret, and this time Paul is challenged to prove that he is in agreement with them; and he demonstrated his full agreement with them.

What remains, then, is that Jesus, on whom be peace, upheld the prohibition against pork. His disciples also upheld it, and so must all his followers. Those who fail to uphold it need to be informed and reminded of this rule from God. This is one reason why God sent His final messenger, on whom be peace. God says:

“O people of the Scripture ! Now has Our Messenger come unto you, expounding unto you much of that which you used to hide in the Scripture, and forgiving much. Now has come unto you light from Allah and a plain Scripture.” (The Meaning of the Glorious Qur’an 5:15).
    www.islamcan.com

------------------
    "Wherever ye are, death will
    find you out, even if ye are in towers built
    up strong and high!" If some good befalls
    them, they say, "This is from God"; but if
    evil, they say, "This is from thee" (O
    Prophet). Say: "All things are from God."
    But what hath come to these people, that they
    fail to understand a single fact?
    [AN-NISAA.078]
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Very nice post. But the Jews also were prohibited eating of pork.

Comment

Originally posted by FactFinder:
      Very nice post. But the Jews also were prohibited eating of pork.
      The Jewish prohibition of pork comes from the Old Testament of the Bible.
      Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
      Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by Hinna:
        Both the Bible and the Qur'an prohibit the eating of pork. Muslims are aware of this prohibition and observe it strictly. However, most readers of the Bible say they do not know where they can find this in the Bible.
        Interesting topic, Hinna, though full of errors.

Initially according to the Torah (Old Testament part of Bible) Adam and Eve were not permitted to eat any flesh. Genesis 1v29-30: Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food....I give every green plant for food.

After the flood, the flesh of all creatures were added to the diet plan, EVEN pork. Genesis 9v3-4: Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

This was the situation until the Israelites were taken out of Egypt and on their wandering in the desert when God changed the diet OF THE ISRAELITES only as mentioned by your article. Please note that until this time Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Esau, Moses, and all other person could and most probably ate whatever lived - even pork! Moses changed the diet on command of God for the Israelites and they were forbidden to eat various animals, fish and birds. An easy way to identify which creature was unclean is to consider if the creature only ate plants. Almost all water based creatures without scales eat some flesh somewhere (crabs, eels, toads, serpents, lobster, etc.). All birds of prey were forbidden. A whole number of animals were prohibited - not only pigs. This is the way the Orthodox Jews eat even today.

Note that this diet plan was not given to anyone else but the Israelites and therefor the people that lived among them, did carry on with cultivating and eating the so-called unclean creatures. The Israelites were not told that they had to force the diet plan on others.

Now for the New Testament of the Bible:

Jesus taught that it is not what goes into the mouth that makes a person unclean/filthy, but rather what comes out (words) that make one unclean. Matthew 15v17-18 Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart and these make a man "unclean'.

In Acts 10 one of Jesus' disciples was told in a vision by God to eat even unclean creatures, but he refused. Peter was then told by God: Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.

As there were some argument about whether the non-Jewish people should be forced to also adhere to some of the Jewish traditions/customs, an assembly of all leaders took place according to Acts 15. The final outcome was: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. Nothing else was asked from the non-Jewish Christians. Please note that Paul was not the chairman but rather James.

This was further clarified by Paul in Romans 14v1-3 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgement on disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. and Colossians 2v20-23 Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not Taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

The Jews still follow the commandment on dietary practice today. If a Jew become a Christian, in effect he can still feel obliged to hold the previous commandments. The Christians are not under any such commandments except the question of blood and idols. Please also note all the other animals, birds and fish that the Israelites are prohibited in your quotation - Muslims do not feel them bound as to eating these creatures.

Judaism and Islam is much closer together than Christianity is to the two religions. Both Judaism and Islam is centred on "do's" and "don'ts" - or laws and regulations whereas Christianity is centred on freedom. At a later stage we can look closed at these issues.

If for any reason someone feels threatened or that I wrote derogatory or blasphemous about any part of their religion, I ask forgiveness. Write it down as being ill-informed on my part as to your religion. A private email to me will ensure that I do not transgress again.

[This message has been edited by The Old Man (edited November 11, 2001).]

Comment

We learn from the Qur'an that:

And to those who are Jews WE forbade all animals having claws; and of the oxen and the sheep and goats did WE forbid them their fats, save that which their backs bear or the entrails or that which is mixed with the bones. With that did WE recompense them for their rebellion. And most surely WE are truthful (6:146)
          All food was lawful to the Children of Israel, except what Israel forbade himself before the Torah was sent down. Say, `Bring, then, the Torah and read it, if you are truthful.' (3:93)
          ------------------
          These are GOD's revelations that we recite to you truthfully. In which Hadith other than GOD and His revelations do they believe?(45:6)
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

are u sure thats wat it says in the bible abt pork ..hmmmmmm i didnt knew that

Comment

Originally posted by fakeer:
              are u sure thats wat it says in the bible abt pork ..hmmmmmm i didnt knew that
              Yes I'm sure - go read it yourself if you have doubts.

Comment

Working...
              X