• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...They are your Garments, and you are their Garments..."

Surah Baqarah (The Cow)
    Chapter 2: Verses 187

Commentary:

This verse of the Quran reveals the basic purpose and concept of marriage in Islam. Islam enjoins that a wife and husband should have the most intimate and loving relationship. Each should cover, protect, and safeguard the interests of the other partner. This profound and revolutionary verse has the following 5 practical implications:

1- The fact that man and woman are considered garments to each other suggests that both have an equal status in sharing the responsibilities of marriage.

2- As the garment covers the body in such a way that there is nothing between the garment and the body, the husband and wife should be so close and intimate to each other that there should be no secrets between them.
    Both confide fully in each other and share their joys and sorrows without any hesitation.

3- The task of the garment is to protect the body from outside dangers. The husband and wife accordingly protect each other from all external dangersand work together to build a home and a tranquil refuge from the harshness of daily life.

4- A garment not only covers the body but also gives it beauty and grace.Similarly, husband and wife should not only cover and shield each other from external worries, temptations, abuses....etc., but should do so with grace and dignity.

5- No one likes to live without clothes, hence men and women should aspire to get married and serve as garments to each other.

It is interesting to note how this verse played a major role in the journey of a British economist and teacher, Kieren Ashorth (now known as Yusuf Abdullah), to Islam:

"Very often in my journey to Islam, I was faced with intellectual and moral dilemmas. Was Islam not supposed to be cruel to women, roughly half of the world's population? One day, I was reading a translation of the Quran and came across a passage in which it described 'a wife as a garment for her husband and a husband as a garment for his wife.' What beauty and what a sublime description! Delivered at a time to a race who used to bury their daughters alive, how could the author of the Quran (Allah) have possibly been a man? How could Islam be oppressive to women? I was beginning to doubt these typical Western opinions regarding Islam. The Quran was far too other-worldly, and very profound!"

(Quoted in "Why We Embraced Islam", compiled by Dr. Arafat El-Ashi, pp. 93-4)

[compiled from "Family & Social Obligations in Islam"
    by Dr. Mazhar U. Kazi, pp. 52-53]

Source:YMFN

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

lol.. jst noticed Hinna posted the same article.. mods: you can del this thread

Comment

Jazaakillaah khair for posting this sister.

i think i'll leave both the threads just as they are - it's such an amazing verse with a beautiful interpretation.

... and JazaahaAllaahu khair to sister Hinna also.

WasSalaam

Comment

mashAllah Sadiaa, no wonder marriage is considered to be half of our faith.

...and will they still not beleive? - al-quran

------------------
        ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

Such a special commentary.

How good it must feel to be wife. How good it must feel to be husband.

Loving so well.

Girl

Comment

The verse is really very special!!
            It's almost like poetry but more beautiful!!!

Comment

sadiaa,

Thanks for sharing.

I attended a lecture over the weekend and this ayat was quoted there.

Could anyone please confirm that word "women" and "men" is used 42 times each in Quran which shows the balance between men and women.

There is another ayat which talks about women and men and both the men and women is repeated many times in this verse. Does anyone know about this verse? Please let me know.

Comment

Comment

khan_sahib,

Is this the verse you are referring to?

For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. [Surah Al-Ahzaab 33:25]

Sarah,

I want to have four husbands at one time too.
                  There shall be confsion and argument over whose child it is that you bear.

Sentinel

Comment

Think about it Sarah Splendor . . . Who goes to war? men or women. Mostly men. Who's death rate is higher? male or female. Mostly male. and then you pose an argument saying that you want 4 husbands at once. Ok, Sentinel put it mildly that there would be confusion over a child.

Lets take it another way, it maybe easier for you to understand; men tend to strive for authority. A perfect example can be taken in a family where the son overtakes the father. Don't even think about the ridiculous Oedupus complex because thats just gross.

Now a case scenario, you have 4 husbands; all four are constantly competing for the highest rank in the household and ofcourse for you. This non-existent relationship could very well end up in a blood bath just over the fact that who should get the girl one night. Basically you just become a receptacle to those 4 men. Yes, you could argue that the very same could be for women but bare in mind that in this case women tend to go with the flow rather than strive for authority. Its their nature. Not only that, they seek comfort so its better for 4 women to live together under one husband rather than 4 men under one wife which is preposterous.

I know I didnt explain it all well, there are too many thoughts on this in mind but hopefully you understood what I'm saying here. If not then surely you can always ask.

------------------
                    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
                    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Comment

Sarah,

With all due respect, you seem to be in a state of emotional paranoia.

I'm broken
                        Or perhaps you’re just going through a rough patch in life.

Well, that's where you misunderstand, I, as in me, don't want 4 husbands, I just want to have the freedom to be allowed to have four husbands. To be equal, as the Quran supposedly says women are.
                        When one is given the freedom to do something, then by definition, one is free to act upon this something. The whole idea behind the reasoning for Islaam not permitting the woman to have more than one husband, at any given time, is a sociological one. One aspect of this has already been explained above, that multiple husbands would throw uncertainty and confusion over who is the father of the child.

…how is it concievable that they would not fight over their priveleges to the husband's body? There will be a hieracrhy of the wives.
                        No one is forcing you into a marital relationship where you have to share the husband with another woman.

Another point is that, men and women are not physically or biologically equal. This contrast is due to varying strengths and weaknesses between the two genders.
                        Although some roles do overlap and are inter-related, because of such natural variations, the man and the woman are suited to playing different social roles throughout life.

A most important biological difference is the fact that male hormones and sexual desires are far stronger than their female counter-parts, in general. Polygamy allows him to keep his sexual desires within marriage, rather than committing himself to adultery in order to satisfy himself. We often hear of relationships outside of marriage which lead to divorce within.

Then there is the issue, of the global population imbalance between men and women. Over the last 20 years, the number of female inhabitants around the world has clearly risen by an increasing rate and has surpassed that of the male. Today there are millions of women in the world who will never marry, not due to personal choice, but due to circumstantial situations, mainly as a result of male victims of war. Husbands, fathers, brothers, sons being killed in great numbers as a result of such social instability between nations and tribes. Women and girls left with no one to fend for them and little security (if any at all), caught up in misery and wandering in a wilderness in search for someone to explain to them their unfortunate situation - why no one is willing to accept them, desperate to find someone who will love them. They have lost all hope.

Criticising and taking away the human rights of the oppressed has become a norm in a world where speech has become easy. Do they not deserve to be happy? Do they not deserve to be loved? Ask these women what they think of sharing a husband, and they will tell you. If you were in their position, perhaps you would try and think with an open mind and take into consideration the thoughts of the whole human race, rather than what you personally feel inclined toward.

However, Islaam remains just and considerate for Muslim women and everyone alike, at a time when western double standards and brain-washing has cast a veil over the thoughts of those it indoctrinates with its oppressive medieval policies of ‘divide and conquer’. It infiltrates the minds of so many, striving to implement it’s unjust laws and propaganda, by using its victims as tools to voice it’s support, even if it means hosting Satan himself. Yet they call it freedom of speech. But how dare they, when freedom of thought has been taken away?

--------------------
                        "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel:
                          khan_sahib,

Is this the verse you are referring to?

For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. [Surah Al-Ahzaab 33:25]

Thanks Sentinel.

Just a little correction. It is Chapter 33 and Verse 35.

http://www.gupistan.com/gallery/1/33_35.gif

It is nice to read it in Arabic as it is like music to your ears. The important thing is that this verse shows an equality of a Muslim women. It shows that there are punishment and rewards for both men and women and women are not considered to be of any low level or evil.

[This message has been edited by khan_sahib (edited November 06, 2001).]

Comment

You're most welcome mere bhai.

Subhaan'Allaah! i didn't realise i'd typed in the wrong verse.

JazaakAllaah khairun. It was a very vital correction. Thank you.

WasSalaam

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Splendor:
                              if men and women are quoted the same number of time in the Quran, whby are men allowed special priveleges like marrying more than once and marrying a non-Muslim, while women can't. I want to have four husbands at one time too.

A muslim man may ONLY MARRY A NON-MUSLIM..IF AND ONLY IF SHE REVERTS TO ISLAM.

------------------
                              "Wherever ye are, death will
                              find you out, even if ye are in towers built
                              up strong and high!" If some good befalls
                              them, they say, "This is from God"; but if
                              evil, they say, "This is from thee" (O
                              Prophet). Say: "All things are from God."
                              But what hath come to these people, that they
                              fail to understand a single fact?
                              [AN-NISAA.078]
                              22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Working...
                              X