More questions about Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More questions about Islam

I have been reading the quran. Some things that I have read have disturbed me. I must apologize that I don't have the quran with me so I can not tell you exactly where I found theses verses. One verse instructs you to beat a woman if she gets "out of line". WHAT?
    Another instructs you to not only kill a woman who has been adluterous but to STARVE her to death in a room. WHAT?
    Can someone please offer some explanation that might ease my mind about the Islamic religion. Seeing things like this turn my eyes and heart away from God not towards him. If God,Allah or whoever told me to kill someone just because they did something wrong I would seriously doubt that the were right in telling me this especially seeing as how god is love and all things good.

okay, I am not a scholar... but to my understanding I'll offer to explain as below.

The verse you saw permits you to beat your wife ONLY if she persistently denies to follow you (when you are yourself a FIRM beleiver and do good deeds) & Allah's commands... but you should not start hitting her right away. You should do everything else before resorting to do this (like explain her, try to convince with love etc). This is what I know about it, and I beleive is agreed by many scholars.

About 'starving' a woman in a room. You claimed to be pursuing 'preisthood'. What do you know about laws GOD has given us to mankind? How to deal with problems in a society? If you wife commits adultery with your neighbor or with your friend? What is some women opts that as a business?
    Islam does not allow prostitution. And to stop spread of prostitution in a society you have to punish the wrong doer.

Does any society in current "civilized" world allow anyone to kill/murder? loot? bribery? How can you eliminate evils from a society? Ans: you have to punish the evil-doer.

------------------
    We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Also, Quran does not only ask adulterous WOMAN to be killed but also adulterous MAN to be killed. Both of them have to fall under certain conditions. NOT ALL of them have to be killed. I'm not sure, but if anyone of them is not married then he/she gets 'whipped', but if married than 'stoned to death'.

------------------

Comment

I think you need to quote the verse to keep the question in context.

Secondly, you will have to be careful about the translations. As those who did it, did it with the best of their knowledge. You will find that many translations or interpretations differ.

Just a side note! The Holy Prophet (saw) was the one to whom Quran was revealed. He understood it the best! Wouldn't you agree?

Now, according to his traditions ... he never even raised his voice in front of his wife, let alone raise his hand against them! So, obviously the problem is with the understanding of the Quran by the translator or interpreter in the context it was given.
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

killing is wrong, under ANY circumstance. Adultery is not as big a crime as to warrant starving and beating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Splendor:
            killing is wrong, under ANY circumstance. Adultery is not as big a crime as to warrant starving and beating.
            why does current civilized world 'execute' murderers? kill spies? kill 'masterminds' (someone who directs a disaster/terrorism)?

------------------

Comment

Comment

Killing criminals and murderers isn't right either. People may say kill the murderer because he or she killed but that's taking revenge. People have only one life, to deny them this right, the right tolive, for a sin they committed is against human values.

who defines 'Human Values'?

It's terrible. Instead, killers and criminals should be punished according to the extent and seriousness of the crime

does it mean that 'killing/murderering' is not serious enough to kill the criminal?

and moral sins like adultery and illict sex should be dealt with in a way that is humane. Killing, starving, stoning, beating is not.

what is your position in defining 'humane'? who has right to define 'humane'?

The person should seek repentance. I think moral sins' punishments should not be decided by people but by Allah because the people involved with the person will be biased and all that, and will probably be subject to their emotions. Only Allah should be the decided of punishments and what consititutes a crime

and if Allah is asking you to kill the criminal would you insist that Allah shows up with a sword and kill the criminal?

Islam should not anoint people to punish someone because they gave into their emotions.

Its okay if you want to make your own religion and follow what you desire, but you should not ALTER an existing religion as per you desire.

Maybe there was something lacking in te marriage, stuff like that should be taken into consideration.

can you elaborate please?
                ------------------

Comment

Killing criminals and murderers isn't right either.
                  You might want to take the job of peace-missionary and should see Mr Bush.

Comment

Priest,

This is the verse you must have been looking for. It's Chapter 4 Verse 35.

34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because All‚h has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to All‚h and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what All‚h orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc.). As to those women on whose part you see ill≠conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, All‚h is Ever Most High, Most Great.
                    You should also check out the verse 35 and 36 in the same chapter. I hope somebody else has answered your question. Don't hesitate if you aren't convinced.

35. If you fear a breach between them twain (the man and his wife), appoint (two) arbitrators, one from his family and the other from her's; if they both wish for peace, All‚h will cause their reconciliation. Indeed All‚h is Ever All≠Knower, Well≠Acquainted with all things.

36. Worship All‚h and join none with Him in worship, and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, Al-Mas‚kin (the poor), the neighbour who is near of kin, the neighbour who is a stranger, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (you meet), and those (slaves) whom your right hands possess. Verily, All‚h does not like such as are proud and boastful;

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                      . You claimed to be pursuing'preisthood'.

I never claimed to be pursuing "priesthood"
                      Priest is my last name. I am looking into all religions to try and come to a decision about where my heart lay when looking at God.
                      Thank you for your response.

Comment

Thank you Khan Sahib.

Comment

Comment

SS
                            I don't know whether U R a muslim or not, but Muslims lives and struggles all his life for life after the death.
                            God has mentioned more about doomsday than anything else in his holy book.
                            If you R muslim, you should beilieve in your faith and silence your personal whims against your faith.
                            Like you said you live or you don't.
                            So either be fathful muslim or do'nt. There is no midway.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X