Family Planning & Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Planning & Islam

We have seen that Muslims tend to have large families, and the reason they quote is that their religion preaches large families. But, contrary we find that the main reason for poverty, illiteracy of Muslims (and others, ofcourse!!!) is large families. Even though a man earning a decent income, cannot support his family because the size is too large. This is also the reason for corruption. It is not uncommon to find families with 10 children or 12 children. So, in such cases, can family size be restricted. Can the man have any number of children even if he cannot give a good education or food for them. I would like to know the views of Islamic scholars, general public and all.

The reason for having large families cannot only be based on religion, even though it plays a big role but it’s not the only reason.

Almost all the countries with majority Muslim population have family planning programs, but as per restrictions, like in China, there are non.

The reasons of poverty and illiteracy are beyond any religion, their might me some political reason which would stand out, but not religion.

South America, west/south Africa, India, China all these areas are very populated, illiteracy, poverty, corruption is rampant and a single religion has nothing to do with it.

Other factors are more important than religion in population explosion.
    بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
    بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

Don't stereotype

------------------
      • “na maiN momin vich masiitaaN, na maiN muusaa, na fir'aun!”
      Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

Move this to Corner Room & you will get a lot of replies.

Trust me!
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

well Islam does not have any lmits on familes....
          however the idea of the family planning is un-Islamic as stated by a hadith....
          i dont remember the exact narratiopn now but the main idea is that Allah does what He wishes and no human planing can stop it....
          so if a child has to be born, he will be born and if a couple dont have a child in their fate, they can ***try*** a million times, they wont get one....

so we shud leave this to Allah and live our life as we shud....

however, big families r not an Islamic idea....
          it is however, an idea popular amongst the rural areas where the stregth of a family is determined by the number of the family members....
          and having more children means more supporters....
          Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by armughal:
            well Islam does not have any lmits on familes....
            however the idea of the family planning is un-Islamic as stated by a hadith....
            i dont remember the exact narratiopn now but the main idea is that Allah does what He wishes and no human planing can stop it....
            so if a child has to be born, he will be born and if a couple dont have a child in their fate, they can ***try*** a million times, they wont get one....

so we shud leave this to Allah and live our life as we shud....

however, big families r not an Islamic idea....
            it is however, an idea popular amongst the rural areas where the stregth of a family is determined by the number of the family members....
            and having more children means more supporters....
            Islam not only wants 'quantity', but there are several traditions where 'good moral upbringing' is also encouraged. so whether you have 2 or 20, quality should not be compromised.

------------------
            We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Victory.
              The reason Muslim families seem(or tend) to have larger families is not necessarily because of Islam. The primary reason for that is culture. Around the muslim world, and even in other family oriented cultures such as india and china, folks 'seem' to have larger families, mainly because they tend to stay together. In the west, marriage is not a top priority, and consequently, neither is a family. And even if a family is raised, keeping it together is not high on the list, since much stress is placed on independence on all the family members, and that is why western families 'appear' to be small.

armughal
              Can you cite a definitive source on that? Because, based on hearsay, what I know is that there have been instances of one form of birth control, referred to as 'coitus interruptus' practiced by many Sahaba, and the procedure was not prohibited by Prophet SAW when he was asked about it.

However, what you said regarding everything happening with Allahs consent is 100% true. But the omnipotence of Allah SWT does not dictate the actions of human beings...otherwise we could argue that whatever sins we commit are too by Allah's wishes(nauzo billah).

Family planning for logical reasons is not prohibited in Islam. However, the concept that is prohibited is when a couple refuses to start a family for fear of poverty, fearful of not being able to provide for their offsprings. That attitude is what is disliked by Allah SWT. But as such, family planning is not prohibited.

Allah knows best. Please do verify that hadith which u said states family planning to be unislamic.

Comment

There are several facets to this issue:[list=1][*] In the specific instance of Pakistan, and many other third world countries, repeated scientific studies have proved that large number of children do not cause poverty, rather poverty causes large number of children. In many of these countries, Pakistan included, kids start earning from a very young age (usually 5 years and above). Poor parents have a large number of kids, because they expect these kids to start earning and contributing to the family pot. The more the merrier. Go figure!
                [*] In some cases, a large number of children are a result of a desire to have a baby of a specific sex (usually, a boy). While this has no islamic significance, Islam recognizes that parents may have natural inclinations towards having boys or girls and does not quelsh this desire, but does educates muslims that both boys and girls gifts of Allah Ta'lla, and girls should not be discriminated against. Infact Islam was the first religion to give rights to women, including the right in inheritance, something totally unheard of in those days.
                [*] As regards, Islamic teachings, to be honest, there is a difference of opinion. What armughal wrote is one school of thought, which is now in a minority. The reason for this thinking was a clear hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) which says "And do not kill your children for fear of poverty[/b]. A growing number of muslim scholars now agree that this hadith refers to the abhorent act of killing baby girls after they are born. This was rampant in the time of the Prophet, before he became a messanger.
                [*] While we hear and talk about rights of parents on their children, equally important are the rights of children over their parents. As per Islamic sharia a child has rights over his/her parents. The two most significant rights are: (1) The right to be given a good and meaningful name. (2) The right to be accorded a good education. Based on this command, a majority of muslim scholars now agree that in order to fulfill these two duties towards their children, a parent should plan to have only that many children to whom they can satisfy these two rights.
                [*] Re: the number of kids, Islam does not command the parents to have any specific number of kids. It depends on the economic and material means available to the parents. If the parents are rich, and they can afford to give good education and "tarbiat", then they can have as many children as they wish. Conversely, if they cannot afford to give good education then they should only have that many kids to whom they can fulfil these duties. In the worst case, it is the responsibility of the islamic state to provide education to poor and needy children.
                [*] Many islamic jurist now agree, that all methods of birth control are acceptable, if they do not endanger the life of the mother. If the life of the mother is in danger, than the saving the life of the mother is paramount, regardless of the age of the fetus. Some reports suggest that the methods used in the time of Islamic state were abstinence, coitus interruptus and preliminary form of natural condoms. Islamic jurist disagree on abortion of the babies. I have read opinion of some scholars who say that a baby can be aborted before the 20th week, while most say that once fertilized, abortion in any form is prohibited, except when mother's life is in danger.[/list=a]

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Akif:
                  However, the concept that is prohibited is when a couple refuses to start a family for fear of poverty, fearful of not being able to provide for their offsprings.
                  Akif, surely the fear of not being able to properly provide for your offspring is cardinal in family planning?

Comment

Family planning should not be mistaken with contraception. They are two different issues.

Armughal and Pristine raise points that have been a hot topic in contemporary development studies: economic rational of what causes what, like a chicken or an egg issue. Studies indicate that poverty indeed leads to larger families. When members of the family have no work, no outlets of entertainment, what do you suppose they will do? Wouldn’t your rather relieve your stress if you were in that situation? I watched a documentary the other day about Venice, which due to some European regulations experienced a decrease in tourists, and they interviewed a Gondolier, when asked what would he do if he has no customers, he says “I will go home and make love to my wife”. That pretty much sums it up.

I think the basic design for any family planning program to be successful should be stressed at the root of the problem. The UN started giving away free condoms in developing countries, and you would see kids playing with them as balloons. It is a tough sell and unfortunately there is very little that poor countries can do. The only hope lies in educating the masses, and creating employment opportunities.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with larger families so long as all members are sharing the economic and social burden. Akif raises a very good point about the West. In Pakistan I feel close to my 3rd cousins and even their friends and consider them as my family, in the US, anything after a 2nd cousin is not considered a family, at least not in the sense we will consider it.

My personal view on this is that having a family is an enormous responsibility, and one should take it as such. An unwanted child is the sadist site in this world.

Comment

If the parents are rich, and they can afford to give good education and "tarbiat", then they can have as many children as they wish.
                      Bhai jaan, that's where the difference in thought occurs. How do you define 'afford' and what is a 'good education'?

For example, in America. If a couple decide to have only two children because they think they can only afford two ... going to the 'private' schools, would that not be killing a third or a forth child, which they can easily afford ... sending all of them to a public school? (This is actually the question raised in the local Islamic community)

And talking about Pakistan, sure enough the very poor can't even afford to send their one children to 'any' school-- let alone a good school!

Does that mean those poor are not doing justice to their children from an Islamic point of view ... how ever many they do have?
                      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Ahmadjee, where is the limit then? Conceivably a woman can conceive 34 times, and if she has twins everytime she gives birth that will be 68 brats (and bratteds). You have to have a limit. God is no help when deciding on how many kids to have. It is all upto the couple, and whatever they see fit for themselves should be the case.

Comment

NYA bhai,

That is very true and I think the only justification should be 'personal choice' ...
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

yes there has been a method, not exactly family planing, but sort of it that was practiced by some sahaba....
                            the Prophet prohibited them for it but some other people said that another nation, i dont remember which one, is also doing this and it has had no effect on their health....
                            and the Prophet then allowed them....
                            however this was done with the MAIDS (servants) so that they wud not get pregnant and thus unable to do the job (the household or whatever they wee assigned to)....
                            however, i doubt that that was allowed for wives....

i firmly believe that family planning is not allowed in Islam....
                            Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X