Barzakh . . . Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barzakh . . . Sleeping

I was recently reading one of Ahmad G's posts and came across some literature regarding a place where all souls go when asleep. It said the soul leaves from the nose to this place called Barzakh. What is this place?

At one point I was thinking since Hazrat Adam (A.S.) was given a piece of Allah's divine spirit to bring life into the soul. So if a part of Allah's noor is in each and every one of us then we would have to go back to Barzakh to rejuvinate. Its just a theory I have in mind. I'm not sure and neither do I have any proof.

If anyone knows about where the soul goes while asleep please do tell me. Somehow I could relate this to dreams and the 3 stages of sleep related in psychology.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Assalaamu 'alaykum brother CocoNut,

Barzakh is a state between death of this world and the Hereafter. The Prophet - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam - described it as being a state where the shaheed (martyrs) rest. Their bodies are in this tranquil state of Barzakh.

At one point I was thinking since Hazrat Adam (A.S.) was given a piece of Allah's divine spirit to bring life into the soul.
    I'm afraid this is not correct and there is no authentic narration to suggest so.

The person asleep does not loose contact with his soul but retains a biological link which allows him to continue breathing. It is said that the sleeping person and his wandering soul remain connected through an imperceptible thread emerging from his nostril, as it is through the nose that the soul seems to move into and out of the body.

The soul of the dead person loses any connection with its body, but is allowed to return to its body for brief periods when Allaah wills, such as to answer the questions in the grave by the angels ‘Munkar’ and ‘Nakir’ and for the body to feel some of its punishment. During life, the link between body and soul is not always uniform but fluctuates. At times it is strong, and weak at others. During sleep the link is weak and serves a biological function only. The link will also be weak in sickness, but strong in health.

Shaikh Suhaib Hassan ibn Abdul Ghafaar – hafidh’Allaah – writes in his book 'The Journey of the Soul', that when the human body is asleep its soul is able to wander freely and speedily through the heavens where it is able to meet others souls, and these travels are then remembered by the person as dreams. Umar (radhiallaahu anhu) once asked Ali (radhiallaahu anhu) why some dreams come true while others are false. Ali replied that whatever a soul hears in heaven during its sleep journey is truthful and will come true. However satan will try to confuse the soul by mixing its vision with fears and lies so that the person will awaken to remember either nightmares or a confused medley of dreams which make no sense. In this regard the Prophet (salallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said : ” The most truthful among you in speech will have the truest dreams.”

And just briefly, as i'm sure you are aware there are three types of dreams, of which the good are from Allaah.

… and Allaah - subhaan wata'aala - knows best.

Wassalaam

--------------
    "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

[This message has been edited by Hasnain (edited November 06, 2001).]

Comment

Any other info on this state called Barzakh?
      I'll be getting a book on it soon enough but I'd like to hear more if you please, Anyone.

------------------
      Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
      Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Working...
      X