Converting to Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting to Islam

A friend of mine since the 8th grade is seriously considering converting to Islam. We talked about it for some time; he has done a great deal of research on his own and seems to have given it a great deal of thought. Besides giving him a copy of the Quran as a gift (which is obvious), I'm hoping someone would give me some good suggestions of useful books regarding Islam that are specifically geared towards converts and the questions/problems they may have (techniques of prayer, etc.).

Sorry for the silly post, but I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Nadia_H:
    A friend of mine since the 8th grade is seriously considering converting to Islam. We talked about it for some time; he has done a great deal of research on his own and seems to have given it a great deal of thought. Besides giving him a copy of the Quran as a gift (which is obvious), I'm hoping someone would give me some good suggestions of useful books regarding Islam that are specifically geared towards converts and the questions/problems they may have (techniques of prayer, etc.).

Sorry for the silly post, but I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
    Its not silly at all to ask such questions dear lady!
    The best book that you could have given him you already have, I have an opinion that i can share with you, dont burden your friend too much with books on Islam. Islam is a very relaxed religion, free from all the dogmas and schisms that existed earlier, so tell him to read the Quran again and again, it'll come with a new indepth meaning every time he reads it anew.
    I am not that fastidious in religion, i have my own theroies about Islam, which normally people dont like, so tell your friend to go through the Quran and then do what his heart says, not his mind, because I believe that your mind can misguide you, but your heart will never do so.

So tell him that whenever his heart pricks him even a tiny bit about a certain thing being right or wrong, tell him to leave such things.
    Furthermore, if you want him to supplenment his reading, tell him tio read "the life of Mohammad(PBUH), by Guillame, thats a translation of Ibne Ishaq's "Seerate Rasool Allah (PBUH) and one of the best books on Islam and our Holy Prophet(PBUH).Translations of Marmaduke Pickthall and Abdullah YousufAli are very good as well.
    I know that you'll probably think this to be an even stupid response,but still, I have a right to my own opinion, dont I. And thats what I have given you in all sincerety!

Comment

Rbee, many many thanks for your reply. No, I didn't think it was a "stupid" response at all! I appreciate your taking the time to reply sincerely, thank you.

I have an opinion that i can share with you, dont burden your friend too much with books on Islam. Islam is a very relaxed religion, free from all the dogmas and schisms that existed earlier, so tell him to read the Quran again and again, it'll come with a new indepth meaning every time he reads it anew.
      That's great advice, thank you. I know, that's what I'm scared of - I don't want to overwhelm him with information nor do I want him to feel any 'pressure' from me to convert or anything like that. That would be awful of me. He's very quiet and reserved so it's sometimes hard to understand exactly what he wants, but the impression I'm receiving from him so far is that he has reached this decision subsequent to undertaking independent research on his own. It's no one's decision but his. Subsequent to the terrorist attacks, he said he wanted to understand Islam better and everything he has read so far, according to him, "makes perfect sense" to him. I really hope that this is from his heart.

So tell him that whenever his heart pricks him even a tiny bit about a certain thing being right or wrong, tell him to leave such things.
      Thank you, useful advice again.

Furthermore, if you want him to supplenment his reading, tell him tio read "the life of Mohammad(PBUH), by Guillame, thats a translation of Ibne Ishaq's "Seerate Rasool Allah (PBUH) and one of the best books on Islam and our Holy Prophet(PBUH). Translations of Marmaduke Pickthall and Abdullah YousufAli are very good as well.
      hm I'll try to find those books. I've heard that Pickthall's is really good. Insha'Allah it will help him decide what he really wants to do.

Thank you so much for your help, Rbee, I really appreciate

Comment

Well I think your friend should talk to some imams at the masjids. Also he should check out this web site http://www.islamworld.net/ . It has a great deal of information for non-muslims and new muslims.

------------------
        "Wherever ye are, death will
        find you out, even if ye are in towers built
        up strong and high!" If some good befalls
        them, they say, "This is from God"; but if
        evil, they say, "This is from thee" (O
        Prophet). Say: "All things are from God."
        But what hath come to these people, that they
        fail to understand a single fact?
        [AN-NISAA.078]
        22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

another good website for non-muslims wanting to know more about Islam: http://www.islamfortoday.com/

and ofcourse, the best one: www.islam.org
          non-muslims in the US can also request free literature on Islam at this

------------------
          'aang 'hoot'

Comment

Nadia

This *one*

'What Everyone Should Know About Islam And Muslims' By Suzanne Haneef

What makes this one a really good one for converts and anyone generally interested in Islam, is that its written by an American who converted to islam, and she's written it in a way that makes it easier for outsiders or rather those unfamiliar with the beliefs, values and teachings of Islam to understand it. Its a really good book, i know our msa always keeps alot of copies on hand.

Comment

as GirlFromQureysh suggested, that wud be a nice idea....
              try www.bilalphilips.com

am not sure of his website, but try searching bilal phillips....
              he is a black american, converetd to Islam....
              a great Muslim scholar
              Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

hm I'll try to find those books. I've heard that Pickthall's is really good. Insha'Allah it will help him decide what he really wants to do.

Thank you so much for your help, Rbee, I really appreciate [/B][/QUOTE]

"The Life of Mohammad(PBUH) by Guillame is one of the easiest books that you can find in bookstores like Vanguard boks or Thomas and Thomas, the translations of the Holy Quran by Marmaduke Pickthall and Abdullah YousufAli are easy to find as well.
                Let these be the only books, I mean preliminary ones for your friend, trusrt me, there arent any ones better than these. The rest of the things, tell your friend to read the Quran and let his heart, not his mind, decide, as one's heart will never misguide anyone!
                Best of luck and my prayers for you and your friend!
                On a personal note, if you think it feasable, kindly visit the following website: www.orst.edu/groups/msa/everwonder.swf
                first have an objective look at it and then maybe you can recommend to your friend/s as well.

Comment

a good read on Islam

Comment

quran is send for all mankind ...so its good to give someone a gift whos interested in islam...

Comment

My favorite bible is the Living Bible.

Basically it is a paraphrase of the bible in everyday common words. Easy to comprehend.

Do Muslims read Bible? (no offense intended)

I was raised Catholic and we didn't hardly at all. Even in parochial school.. only the 10 commandments and the like.

Is there an edition of the Quoran in simplified english?

Comment

Originally posted by AvgAmericanGirl:
                        My favorite bible is the Living Bible.

Basically it is a paraphrase of the bible in everyday common words. Easy to comprehend.

Do Muslims read Bible? (no offense intended)

I was raised Catholic and we didn't hardly at all. Even in parochial school.. only the 10 commandments and the like.

Is there an edition of the Quoran in simplified english?
                        What is a living Bible?

Muslims have to recognise Bible (Injeel) including other heavenly book (old Testament [zabur], Torah, and Quran) as it is part of their belief.

As far as reading is concerned, it is commonly known to Muslims that there has been changes in the other books apart from Quran and hence they stick to Quran but I am sure a lot of scholars have read Bible. Also, it is not offensive for muslims to read Bible.

You should be able to get a copy of Quran from local mosque or library. Also, it is available on CD. If you are interested then let me know and I will try to arrange a copy for you.

Comment

>>>Is there an edition of the Quoran in simplified english?<<<

Try to get a hold of a copy of 'The Noble Quran', its a really good translation.

Comment

I usually compare translations. Since most Pakistani's know Urdu, which has a lot of Arabic words, at times it's also easier to compare the Arabic text with the translation to make sure the real meaning is conveyed and not being withheld due to the author's own inclinations.

Here's a site to compare the translations of Quran

Remember the Quran came first. Therefore anyone attempting to translate it 'in the light of Hadith' is not doing a sincere job of translation.

------------------
                            These are GOD's revelations that we recite to you truthfully. In which Hadith other than GOD and His revelations do they believe?(45:6)
                            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Two excellent books that come to mind are:

1) The Fundamentals of Tawheed (Islamic Monotheism) by Abu Ammenah Bilal Philips.

2) A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam by I.A. Ibrahim - Publishers: Darussalam (Houston)

Two very good books with regards to the prayer include:

3) The Prophet's Prayer described by Shaikh Naasir-ud-Din Al-Albaani

4) a small thin book by Shaikh Abdul Azeez Ibn Baaz, but i'm afraid the name doesn't come to memory right now.

Three other extremely useful books are:

5) Understanding Islaam by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips.

6) The Purpose of Creation by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips.

7) The Amazing Qur'an by Gary Miller.

regards,
                              Sentinel

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited November 05, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X