Shab e Baraat --- Whats the story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shab e Baraat --- Whats the story?

In Pakistan, Shab-e-Baraat (in Shabaan) is an accepted night of praying. Since early childhood, each of us is told that in this night all decisions for the whole year are made and so we should spend it in prayers and suplications. (Some folks also use it for patakhay and fireworks, but thats another story).

However, when we come out of Pakistan, we are told, that the concept of Shab-e-Baraat is only celebrated amongst muslims of Indo-Pak, and not by those in the middle-east. It is also said, that Quran doesn't have any reference for Shab-e-Baraat.

Do any of you have any further information on this?

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith Hadith 1307 Narrated by Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, Allah, the Exalted and Glorious looks down on the middle night of Sha'ban and forgives all His creation except two people, the mushahin and the murderer.

Transmitted by Ahmad.

Ibrahim says; could be due to above hadith being construed as the middle of sha’ban . whereas the hadith says middle night and rather vague or have to be taken as the 15th of sha’ ban.

On the other hand , it is generally agreed upon ………………

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 3.127

Fasting most of the month of Sha'ban (the month preceding Ramadan)

The Prophet would fast most of the month of Sha'ban. 'Aishah said: "I never saw the Messenger of Allah fast a complete month save for Ramadan, and I have never seen him fast more in a month than he did in Sha'ban." This is related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.

Usamah ibn Zaid inquired: "O Messenger of Allah, I never find you fasting in any month like you do during the month of Sha'ban." The Prophet responded: "That is a month the people neglect. It comes between Rajab and Ramadan. It is a month in which the deeds are raised to the Lord of the Worlds. I love that my deeds be raised while I am fasting." This is related by Abu Dawud, an-Nasa'i, and by Ibn Khuzaimah in his Sahih.

Some people fast on the 15th of Sha'ban in particular, thinking that that day contains more virtues than the other days. This is an unsubstantiated claim.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith Hadith 1308 Narrated by Ali ibn AbuTalib

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: When it is the night of Sha'ban observe the prayer during the night and observe the fast during the day for Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, descends to the heaven of the world as the sun sets and says: Is there anyone who seeks forgiveness so that I may forgive him? Is there anyone who seeks sustenance so that I may provide for him? Is there anyone in trouble so that I may relieve him, and so on and so forth till the dawn breaks.

Transmitted by Ibn Majah.

Sahih Muslim Hadith Hadith 2581 Narrated by Aisha

AbuSalamah reported: I asked Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) about the fasting of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him). She said: He used to observe fast (at times so continuously) that we said: He has fasted (never to break), and he did not observe fast till we said: He has given up perhaps never to fast, and I never saw him observing (voluntary fasts) more in any other month than that of Sha'ban. (It appeared as if) he observed fast throughout the whole of Sha'ban except a few (days).

Comment

So it's true that there is no info on Shab-e-baraat in the Quran?

------------------
      These are GOD's revelations that we recite to you truthfully. In which Hadith other than GOD and His revelations do they believe?(45:6)
      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

well the deciding of the qismat and all in this night appears in some hadith....

however, celebrating it (with fireworks) or SPECIAL prayers on this night are not mentioned anywhere....

and no one in the arab world celebrates such things....
        only found in indo-pak....
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
          So it's true that there is no info on Shab-e-baraat in the Quran?

the only night-prayers I have seen in Quran are 'tahajjud' (not limited/restricted to any month), and 'lailatul-qadr' (which is one of nights in last ten days of Ramadan). if anyone knows more, please add.

jazakallahu khairan.

------------------
          We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
            the only night-prayers I have seen in Quran are 'tahajjud' (not limited/restricted to any month), and 'lailatul-qadr' (which is one of nights in last ten days of Ramadan). if anyone knows more, please add.

jazakallahu khairan.

slm

this is wot i have come across

"Lo! We revealed it on a BLESSED NIGHT -- Lo! We are ever warning --
            Whereupon every wise command is made clear
            (44:3-6)

Although the majority of the Quran commentators consider the BLESSED NIGHT
            in this Ayat to be the 27th Night of Ramadan
            (Laylatul Qadr), many scholars, like Imam al-Suyuti, SAY that it COULD BE
            THE MIDDLE THE NIGHT OF SHABAN ALSO!

This is because of all the Hadith that show the greatness of that Night. It is because of this Ayah that it is believed that
            Allah T'ala reveals our Destinies(Taqdeer) for the whole year to the Angels On this Night.
            "

Comment

Working...
            X