Prayer Mat a.k.a. Ja-namaaz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayer Mat a.k.a. Ja-namaaz

I've noticed when people are finshed their prayers they tend to fold one part of the janamaaz up from one corner and leave the rest open. Why?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Maybe to stop dust and dirt from getting on the spot where you put your head during sijdah?
    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
    Al-Ghazali

Comment

more on ja-namaz...

Comment

AoA, yea i've been looking for an answer to that. The thread mentioned by Raaj-Dulaara's too long... does anyone know why people do it??

I've heard that SOME PPL fold the corner of it so that Satan won't be able to pray on it. There was something else to it, but i forgot.

I either leave the janamaz open or jst fold it and put it away.

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited October 30, 2001).]

Comment

I always thought it was because after you're done praying, you just fold it--meaning 'vacant'.

Howz about praying upon a ja'namaz with pictured-stationary (ie: Masjid-e-quba, Roza'e'Mubarak) other than the kaabah?

We tend to avoid it.

Comment

Good question CocoNut

Well as i have always done, or have seen done, whenever you are done with namaaz you fold all of the Jaiy-namaaz. The only time i've seen it folded at the corner is when you are still praying, but in between rakaa's you have to do something or have to go away from the Jaiy-namaaz to do something. (i.e. open the door, look after the food on the stove, etc.)

And someone actually told me that you fold it at the corner while you are away so shaitan doesn't come near the Jaiy-namaaz. I don't know about that, i hope someone can clear it up.

------------------
            "Adhak Allahu Sinnaak -- May Allah bring smiles to you"

[This message has been edited by ~Sehar~ (edited October 30, 2001).]
            Save Pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sehar~:

And someone actually told me that you fold it at the corner while you are away so shaitan doesn't come near the Jaiy-namaaz. I don't know about that, i hope someone can clear it up.

yeh !! thts wat i've heard .. similar to wat you said... SOMETHING TO DO WITH SATAN ...

Comment

i always saw my mom doing this....
                and then when i got old enough to ask her why she did it....
                she told me that if u dont do it, satan occupies it....
                and then i did my best to explain to her that these r stupid concepts....
                and now alhamdulillah my family is cleared of such stupid thoughts and beliefs....

anyway, back to the main thing, its a common practice but is baseless....
                has no solid reason, just silly rumors....
                Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Armughal: I agree with ya on this cuz if it was not a baseless act then even in the house of Allah, Kaba there would be people flipping prayer mats.

------------------
                  Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
                  Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
                    AoA, yea i've been looking for an answer to that. The thread mentioned by Raaj-Dulaara's too long... does anyone know why people do it??

I've heard that SOME PPL fold the corner of it so that Satan won't be able to pray on it. There was something else to it, but i forgot.

I either leave the janamaz open or jst fold it and put it away.

Thats what I heard too

Comment

old wives tales

Satan doesn't need to worship God anymore.. he's at odds with him.. do we think he's having second thoughts already?
                      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

I don't know why one would need to fold ja-namaz when nobody folds them in the mosque. Would satan not come and get more sawab to pray ba-jamat if he is hungry for sawab.

ja-namaz is just another piece of cloth that you use to make distinguish between the clean place and an unclean place. If you know that your house is clean then you might just as well pray without ja-namaz.

Comment

Working...
                        X