Ayat ul Kursi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ayat ul Kursi

I have honestly never heard anyone pray it after surah fatiha to this day except when i was praying in a jamaat in school for juma. I'm not sure if you are suppose to read it or not. Can somebody help me out here and clear this up.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Ayat al kursi is part of Quran ( I think it third juzz [sipara] ) and you read a portion of Quran after surah fatiha during prayer so there is nothing wrong with that.

Comment

YEah.

KS is rite.

How'z about Dua'y Qunood in vitr? Can you recite it during any other of the daily prayers? So far, I've been told--no.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
        I have honestly never heard anyone pray it after surah fatiha to this day except when i was praying in a jamaat in school for juma. I'm not sure if you are suppose to read it or not. Can somebody help me out here and clear this up.

slm
        now u found one
        i recite ayatul kursi during my salah after sura fatiha occasionally.

as fas as i am aware taht we r allowed to recite any part fo the quran (at elast 3 verses) after sura fatiha during our salah

Comment

Well what about Dua' Qunood in vitr? Can it be recited during any of the prayers throughout the day?

Comment

Originally posted by X_Communist:
            Well what about Dua' Qunood in vitr? Can it be recited during any of the prayers throughout the day?
            normally only verses from quran are recited after sura fatiah.. , dua-e-qanoot is not part of Quran (i may be wrong).. though throughout the salat you may read any dua, and dua especially in prostrations (sajda) are of great importance.... talking about sajda, it is forbidden to recite any verse from quran, but you may ask Allah anything in any language.

keep in mind that salat is itself a dua, you clean yourself by performing wadu before salat, then you make niyaat, cutting yourself off from the whole world you throw your soul in front of Almighty Allah.. thats the time you must ask Him anything you desire no matter in any language... but most of us are very ignorant they end the namaz by saing two salams and then after comming out of that state they raise their hand and ask dua.. this to me is very stupid and illogical act.

talking about dua, it can be said at anytime especially after adhaan but not after salat.

[This message has been edited by raaj-dulara (edited October 30, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by raaj-dulara:
              talking about sajda, it is forbidden to recite any verse from quran, but you may ask Allah anything in any language.

Why can't your recite anything written in the Quran during prostration?

keep in mind that salat is itself a dua, you clean yourself by performing wadu before salat, then you make niyaat, cutting yourself off from the whole world you throw your soul in front of Almighty Allah.. thats the time you must ask Him anything you desire no matter in any language... but most of us are very ignorant they end the namaz by saing two salams and then after comming out of that state they raise their hand and ask dua.. this to me is very stupid and illogical act.

Why do you find it illogical whether doing it before or after?

talking about dua, it can be said at anytime especially after adhaan but not after salat.
              Why are there restrictions on when to make dua's?

------------------
              Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .

Comment

Originally posted by raaj-dulara:
                normally only verses from quran are recited after sura fatiah.. , dua-e-qanoot is not part of Quran (i may be wrong).. though throughout the salat you may read any dua, and dua especially in prostrations (sajda) are of great importance.... talking about sajda, it is forbidden to recite any verse from quran, but you may ask Allah anything in any language.

[This message has been edited by raaj-dulara (edited October 30, 2001).]
                I think you're rite. If the whole salaat is a 'dua' itself, why not just ask while you're praying? Why do it afterwards?

I have also heard that the prophet raised his hands only once for prayer which was to ask Allah to provide rain for the area. He never raised it after salaat. I've read that the raising of hands and asking Allah after the prayer (after the salaams) is referred as innovation. I don't have the references at the moment, but will try to look into this.

Thanks about the duay Qunood.

Comment

Its 'qunoot', not 'qunood', and you can read it anytime, in any salat.

Dont over-analyze an issue to the extent of distortion.
                  Raising your hands for dua after making salam is not done as an 'intended' part of salat. Its merely done as a prayer. It does not harm the salat that precedes it. Prophet SAW may not have done it in his lifetime, but then again, this act is not done as an addition to salat...so let it be.

Comment

Raaj Dulara: Kindly answer my questions posted above.

X commi and Akif: So if you make a dua during namaaz when do you do it? Between the surahs your reading? How would you go about doing it? This is actually interesting I've heard it for the first time and am astonished as to the regular obligatory prayers can be mixed in with your own prayers of the heart. Kindly elaborate on this.

------------------

Love happens once . . .

Comment

Coconut....

salat has 14 faraiz (obligatory acts).
                      As long as you perform these 14 acts, it doesnt matter when and where you pray.

Prophet SAW is reported to pray a lot immediately after reciting surah fatiha, also in ruk'oo, in sajdas, in between two sajdas, and after durood while sitting. Its really upto you as to when you pray apart from performing the mandatory acts.

Comment

Since the Prophet made dua during salaat, it would be better if we did too, no? Ok so it's not intended, but I've come across a lot who believe that the salaat is not complete until the 'after prayer'. I think I mentioned that I had heard/read, not I know. Either way, Salaat is fardh, and is one of the most important acts we need to fulfill. Why not try to make it almost right instead of inserting stuff here and there...

Qunoot, it is.

Comment

So if you make a dua during namaaz when do you do it? Between the surahs your reading? How would you go about doing it? This is actually interesting I've heard it for the first time and am astonished as to the regular obligatory prayers can be mixed in with your own prayers of the heart. Kindly elaborate on this.
                          Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 4.109

Injunction on Supplication

Allah has commanded people to call upon Him humbly and sincerely, promising them He will respond to their prayers and fulfill their needs.

Nu'man b. Bashir reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Verily supplication is worship." Then he recited the Qur'anic verse, "And your Lord says, 'Call on Me. I will answer your prayer, but those who are too arrogant to serve me will surely find themselves humiliated in Hell!'' Qur'an 40.60. This is reported by Ahmad and Sunan.

'Abdar Razzaq reported from Al-Hasan that the Companions asked the Prophet, peace be upon him, "Where is our Lord?" At this Allah sent down the following verse of the Qur'an, "When My servants ask you (O, Muhammad) conceming Me, I am indeed close to them. I listen to the prayer of every supplicant when he calls upon Me.'' Qur'an 2.186

Abu Hurairah reported, "The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Nothing is more dear to Allah than one's supplication to Him.'' (Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah)

Abu Hurairah also reported, "The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, 'Whoever wants Allah to answer his prayers during difficult times, should supplicate to Him more and more in times of ease'.'' (Tirmidhi)

Abu Ya'la related from Anas that the Prophet, peace be upon him, reporting from his Lord said, "Allah said, 'There are four characteristics, of which one is Mine, one yours, one common between Me and you, and one is common between you and My other servants. The one that is Mine is that you shall not associate any other god with Me, the one that is for you is that when you do a good deed I shall reward you for it, the one that is common between Me and you is that when you supplicate I shall respond to your supplications, and the one that is common between you and My other servants is that you should like for them what you like for your own selves'."

In a sound hadith the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Allah's wrath is on the one who does not call upon Him for help." 'Aishah reported, "The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, 'Precautions are of no avail against the decree of Allah, but the supplication benefits in the case of a calamity that strikes or is about to strike. And when a calamity descends the supplication intercepts it and holds it at bay until the Day of Resurrection'. (Reported by Al-Bazar, At-Tabrani, and Al-Hakim, who says its chain of authorities is sound)

Salman Al-Farisi reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Nothing can avert the decree of Allah except supplication, and nothing increases life except virtuous deeds." (Tirmidhi)

Abu 'Awanah and Ibn Hibban reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "When one of you supplicates, he should ask Allah for something important and great, for nothing is difficult for Allah."

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 4.111b

Raising One's hands to one's shoulders.

Ibn 'Abbas is reported as saying, "When asking for something from Allah, you should raise your hands opposite to your shoulders; when asking for forgiveness you should point with one finger; and when making an earnest supplication you should spread out both your hands." This is reported by Abu Daw'ud.

Malik b. Yassar reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Supplicate Allah with the palms of your hands, and do not supplicate Him with their backs upwards."
                          Salman reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Your Lord, the Blessed and the Exalted One, is Modest and Generous, and He loathes to turn away His servant empty-handed when he raises his hands to Him in supplication."

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 4.111d

Supplicating with attention and humility, in a voice neither loud nor low.

Allah says: "Neither say your prayer aloud, nor speak it in a low tone, but seek a middle course between." Qur'an 17.110 And "Call on your Lord with humility and in private, for Allah does not love those who go beyond bounds." Qur'an 7.55

Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari reported, "Once the people raised their voices in supplication. At this the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, 'Be easy on yourselves. You are not calling upon someone deaf or absent. Y ou are calling upon one Who is All-seeing and All-hearing. He is nearer to you than the neck of your mount. O Abdallah b. Qais, shall I tell you a word that is one of the treasures of Paradise? It is: "There is no power nor any might except with the permission of Allah''.' (Muslim and Bukhari)
                          Abdallah b. 'Umar reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Hearts are like vessels, some more attentive and capacious than others. When you supplicate Allah you should be certain of being answered, and know that Allah does not answer a supplication that comes from a careless and inattentive heart." (Ahmad)

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 5.96b

Etiquette of Standing and Making Supplications

One must maintain a complete state of purity. face the direction of Ka'bah, seek forgiveness of Allah as much as possible. glorify Allah, and supplicate for one's well being and well:are in this Iife and in the Hereafter, and for others, with fervor, attention, and with hands raised in supplication.

Osamah bin Zaid reported: "I was riding behind the Prophet (peace be upon him) in Arafah, while he raised his hands in supplications to Allah." (Reported by Nasa'i)
                          'Amr bin Shu'aib reported from his father and his grandfather, who said that on the Day of Arafah the Prophet (peace be upon him) mostly supplicated in these words: "La ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul mulk wa lahul hamd, biyadihil khair wa huwa 'ala kulli sha'in qadeer (There is no deity worthy of worship but Allah Alone. He has no partners. To Him alone belongs the Kingdom, and all praise. In His hand is all the good, and He has power over all things)."
                          It is reported by Ahmad and Tirmidhi (and this is the wording of Tirmidhi) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "The best supplication is that of the Day of Arafah, and the best thing that I and other Prophets before me said is: 'La ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu lahul mulk wa lahul hamd wa huwa 'ala kuli sha'in qadeer."'

Al-Hussain bin Al-Hasan Al-Maruzi reported: "I asked Sufyan bin 'Oyainah, 'What is the best supplication for the Day of Arafah?' He said, 'La ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu.' I said, 'But this is glorification of Allah and His praise, and it is not a supplication.' Thereupon Sufyan said, 'Don't you know the hadith of Malik bin Al-Harith which explains it.' I said to him, 'Tell me about it.' He said, 'Mansur narrated from Malik bin Al-Harith that he said "Allah, the Almighty, and the Exalted One, says: 'If a servant of Mine occupies himself in extolling and praising Me instead of asking Me for his needs I give him better than what I give to those who ask for their needs."' Then he added, 'This explains the saying of the Prophet (peace be upon him).' He continued and said, "Haven't you heard what Ummaya bin Abi Al-Salt said to Abdullah bin Jad'an when he sought the hand of Na'ilah in marriage?" I said, "No." At this he said, "Ummaya recited (these lines of poetry) to Abdullah bin Jad'an: Do I have to tell you my need, or your modesty is enough (to plead my case), for modesty is your disposition, You are conversant with rights (and obligations) and come of a family polite and respectable, When someone praises you once he need not repeat it again!
                          Then Sufyan added, "O Hussain, you see how the humans are pleased with praise and are ready to grant request without even asking. What about their Creator then?"
                          Al-Baihaqi reported from Ali (with a weak chain of narrators) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "The supplication most frequently used by the Prophets before me and by me on the Day of Arafah is this: 'La ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul mulk wa lahul hamd wa huwa 'ala kuli sha'in qadeer. Allahumma 'ij'al fi basri nuran wa fi sam'i nuran wafi qalbi nuran. Allahumm ashrah li sadri wa yassir li amri. Allahumma 'udhubika min waswasis sadri wa shatatil amr wa sharri fitnatil qabr wa sharri ma yaliju fil lail wa sharri ma yaliju fin naharwa sharri ma tahubu bihi riyah wa sharri bawa'iqid dahr (There is no deity worthy of worship but Allah alone. He has no partners. To Him belongs the kingdom and all praise, and he has power over all things. O Allah! place light (guidance) in my sight, in my ears, and in my heart. O Allah! Open my chest and ease my work. O Allah! I seek refuge with You from evil whispers, from confusion, from the trial of the grave, from the evil that takes place during the day or night, from the evil carried by the winds, and from the afflictions of the world."

Tirmidhi also reported from Ali that the supplication used most of the time by the Prophet (peace be upon him) during his stay in Arafah was: "Allahumma lakal hamdu kalladhi naqulu wa khairam mimma naqulu, Allahumma laka salati wa nusuki wa mahyaya wa mamati wa ilaika ma'abi wa laka rabbi turathi allahumma inni a'udhubika min 'adhabil qabri wa waswasatis sadri wa shatatil amri allahumma inni a'udhubika min sharri ma tahubbu bihi riyhu (All praise belongs to You, O Allah! as we say, and better than what we can say. O Allah! My prayers, my worship, my life and my death are all for You. O Allah! To You is my return, to You belong what I own. O Allah! I seek refuge with You from the torment of the grave, the evil whispers, confusion, and from whatever the wind may bring.)

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 4.111a

Supplicating at the most Opportune Times and Locations.

These are, for instance, the day of 'Arafah, month of Ramadan, Friday, the last part of the night, at dawn, during prostration, at the time of rainfall, between the adhan and iqamah, at the time of encounter of armies, at times of panic, and when one's heart is soft and tender.

Abu Umamah reported, "The Prophet, peace be upon him, was asked, 'What supplication finds the greatest acceptance?' He answered: 'A prayer offered in the middle of the latter part of the night and after the prescribed Prayers'.' (Reported by Tirmidhi with a sound chain of authorities)

Abu Hurairah reported, the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "The servant is nearest to his Lord when he is prostrating to Him, so make supplication in this state." (Muslim) There are very many hadith found in various books on this subject.

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 1.161

Sunnah acts of prayer, Supplications After the Last Tashahud and Before the Tasleem

It is preferred for the person to supplicate after the final tashahud and before making the final salutations (that end the prayer). The person may ask for whatever he wishes of the good of this life and the hereafter. Ibn Mas'ud reported that the Prophet, upon whom be peace, taught him the tashahud and then said, "Then choose whatever you wish to ask (of Allah)." (Related by Muslim.)

Supplications are preferred acts in general, regardless of whether they are reported from the Prophet or not, although supplications authenticated by the sunnah are better. Some of these are:

1. Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, said, "When one of you finishes the final tashahud, he should say, 'O Allah, I seek refuge in You from the torment of the Hell-fire and the grave, from the trials of life and death, and from the trials of the false Messiah." (Related by Muslim.)

2. 'Aishah reported that the Messenger of Allah would supplicate in his prayer, "O Allah, I seek refuge in You from the torment of the grave, from the trials of the anti-Christ, and from the trials of life and death. Allah, I seek refuge in You from sin and debt." (Related by Muslim and al-Bukhari.)

3. 'Ali reported that when the Prophet prayed, the last thing he would say between the tashahud and the tasleem was, "O Allah, forgive my past and later sins, what was in private and what was in public, and what I have been extravagant in. You are more knowledgeable of it than I. You are the Promoter and the Retarder. There is no god except You." (Related by Muslim.)

4. 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr reported that Abu Bakr said to the Messenger of Allah, "Teach me a supplication that I may use in my prayers." He told him, "Say, O Allah, I have wronged my soul a great wrong and no one forgives sins except You, so forgive me with such forgiveness that only comes from You and have mercy on me. Verily, You are the Oft-Forgiving, the Oft-Mercful." (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.)

5. Handhalah ibn 'Ali said that Muhjan ibn al-Adra' related to him that the Prophet entered the mosque while a man was just about to finish his prayer. The latter made the tashahud and said, "O Allah, I am asking You, O Allah, the One, the Only, the Absolute, who begets nor is begotten, nor is anyone like Him, to forgive my sins, for You are the Forgiving, the Merciful." The Prophet then said three times, "He has been forgiven." (Related by Ahmad and Abu Dawud.)

6. Shaddad ibn Aus reported that during his prayer, the Prophet would say, "O Allah, I ask You to confirm me in the affairs, to keep me on the correct path, to make me thankful for your blessings and excellent in Your worship. O Allah, I ask You for a tranquil heart and truthful tongue. O Allah, I ask You for the good of what You know, and I seek refuge in You from the evil of which you are aware, and I ask Your forgiveness from what You know." (Related by an-Nasa'i.)

7. Said Abu Mijlaz, " 'Ammar ibn Yasar led us in the prayer and he made it very short. The people blamed him for that and he told them, 'Did I not complete my bowings and prostrations ... and did I not supplicate therein what the Prophet used to supplicate, saying, 'O Allah by Your knowledge of the unseen and Your power over the creation, let me live if You know that living is best for me, and let me die if You know that dying is better for me. I ask You (to forgive me) for fear of You in what is not seen and what is seen, to make my speech truthful while angry or pleased, and to have the same aim in poverty and riches. Grant me the pleasure of looking to Your face and of the longing to meet You. I seek refuge in You from a harmful loss and from the trials of a misguider. O Allah, embellish me with the beauty of faith, and make us of the guided of the guiders." This is related by Ahmad and an-Nasa'i with a good chain.

8. Abu Saleh related from one of the companions that the Prophet said to a man, "What do you say in your prayer?" He said, "I say the tashahud and then I say, 'O Allah, I ask of you Paradise and seek refuge in You from Hell-fire.' But I cannot murmer as good as you or Mu'adh (as eloquent as you are)." The Prophet said, "We ask concerning Paradise and the Hell-fire." (Related by Ahmad and Abu Dawud.)

9. Ibn Mas'ud reported that the Prophet taught him to say this supplication: "O Allah, bring our hearts together and make our relations good. Guide us to the paths of peace and bring us out of the darkness and into the light. Keep us away from lewdness, both hidden and open. O Allah, bless us in our hearing and our sight, in our hearts, our wives and our offspring. Turn unto us, for You are the Oft-Turning, the Oft-Merciful. Make us thankful for Your blessings and complete it upon us." (Related by Ahmad and Abu Dawud.)

10. Said Anas, "We were sitting with the Prophet and a man stood up and prayed. When he bowed and made the tashahud, he would supplicate, 'O Allah, I ask of You, for to You is the praise. There is no god except You, the Giver without question, the Creator of the heavens and the earth. O Sublime and Honorable One, O Living and Sustaining One, I ask of You.' The Prophet said to his companions, 'Do you know who he made his supplication with?' They said, 'Allah and His Messenger know best.' He said, 'By the One in whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, he supplicated Allah by His greatest name. If one supplicates by that name, it will be listened to. If he asks by it, it will be given." (Related by an-Nasa'i.)

11. 'Umair ibn Sa'd said, "Ibn Mas'ud used to teach us the tashahud of the prayer and then he would say, 'When one of you finishes the tashahud, he should say: O Allah, I ask you for all good, that which I am aware of and that which I am not. I seek refuge in You from all evil, that which I am aware of and that which I am not. O Allah, I ask you for the good that your devoted servants asked for. I seek refuge in You from all evil, that which I am aware of and that which I am not. O Allah, I ask you for the good that your devoted servants asked for. I seek refuge in You from the evil that your devoted servants sought refuge for. Our Lord, give us the good of this life and the good of the Hereafter.' He said, 'No prophet or righteous person supplicated for anything except that it is contained therein." (Related by Ibn Abu Shaibah and Sa'eed ibn Mansur.)

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 2.6

Supplication after finishing the two sunnah rak'at before the fajr prayer

An-Nawawi says in al-Adhkar. "It is related in the book of Ibn as-Sanni from Abu al-Malih (whose name was 'Aamr ibn Usamah) on the authority of his father that his father had prayed the two rak'at of the dawn [before salatul fajr] and the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam was praying the two rak'at close to him, and he heard the Prophet say, while sitting:

'O Allah, Lord of Jibrail, Israfeel, Mikail, and Muhammad, the Prophet, I seek refuge in Thee from the Fire,'"...three times.
                          He also records from Anas that the Prophet said: "Whoever says, on Friday morning before the salatul fajr,

'I seek the forgiveness of Allah, there is no other god except Him, the Living, the Sustaining, and I repent unto him,' three times, Allah will forgive his sins even if they were as abundant as the foam on the sea."

Comment

Whoa! Too long Ibrahim, give it to us in words pertaining to the topic at hand. Not every way to pray possible.

The question is, Are you allowed to make a personal prayer during the regular fard namaaz?

------------------

Love happens once . . .

Comment

Whoa! Too long Ibrahim, give it to us in words pertaining to the topic at hand. Not every way to pray possible. The question is, Are you allowed to make a personal prayer during the regular fard namaaz?
                              Ibrahim says: salaams to all

Hi coconut, supplication ( dua) means …………….

supplicate

: to make a humble entreaty; esp : to pray to God
                              verb transitive
                              1 : to ask humbly and earnestly of
                              2 : to ask for earnestly and humbly syn see BEG

Ibrahim says: Hence it should be obvious that you can (presented the details already) , also presented to you in those details was when it is best done according to sunnah records.

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 4.111a

Supplicating at the most Opportune Times and Locations.

These are, for instance, the day of 'Arafah, month of Ramadan, Friday, the last part of the night, at dawn, during prostration, at the time of rainfall, between the adhan and iqamah, at the time of encounter of armies, at times of panic, and when one's heart is soft and tender.

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 1.161

Sunnah acts of prayer, Supplications After the Last Tashahud and Before the Tasleem

It is preferred for the person to supplicate after the final tashahud and before making the final salutations (that end the prayer). The person may ask for whatever he wishes of the good of this life and the hereafter.

Ibrahim says: Meaning you can supplicate at any time , during prayer as well as after prayers, and even whilst traveling on the road . The best supplication is praising Allah (swt).

Even human beings are more pleased with praise and are ready to grant requests without even asking. Allah (swt) will be even more pleased to grant you your needs even without you asking for it, when your supplication are all praises of Allah (swt) ( for nothing is hidden from Him and he knows why you are praising Him)

Hope it is clear …it would be a lot clearer if you had bothered to read the details.

Allah’s part we cannot do ; our part HE will not do

Comment

Working...
                              X