X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Halloween

On Halloween
    A. Idris Palmer http://www.islaam.com/sunnah/halloween.htm

Halloween is a Western celebration originated by Celtic pagans and traditionally applied to the evening of October 31. It is completely based on rituals involving dead spirits and devil worship. Moreover, it symbolizes the beginning of the ancient Druid new year, who hold that the dead revisit their homes at that time, thus in essence, Halloween represents the devil worshipper's New Year's celebration. Mexico, which has a similar celebration at the same time, calls the day, "El Día De Los Defuntos" (The Day of the Dead). Therefore Muslim commemoration of such a day is absolutely haram; as it involves the worst elements of shirk and kufr. Indeed, participation in it is similar to one commemorating Christmas or Easter, or congratulating the Christians upon their prostration to the crucifix. In fact, it is worse than congratulating them for drinking wine, fornication and so on. Muslim parents therefore should advise their children accordingly and not allow them to participate in these celebrations.

Historically, Halloween precedes the Christian feast of Hallowmas, All Hallows, or All Saints' Day. The observances connected with Halloween originated among the ancient Druids, who believed that on that evening, Saman, the lord of the dead, called forth hosts of evil spirits. The Druids customarily lit great fires on Halloween, apparently for the purpose of warding off all these spirits. Among the ancient Celts, Halloween was the last evening of the year and was regarded as a propitious time for examining the portents of the future. The Celts also believed that the spirits of the dead revisited their earthly homes on that evening. After the Romans conquered Britain, they added to Halloween, features of the Roman harvest festival held on November 1 in honor of Pomona, goddess of the fruits of trees.

The Celtic tradition of lighting fires on Halloween survived until modern times in Scotland and Wales, and the concept of ghosts and witches is still common to all Halloween observances. Traces of the Roman harvest festival survive in the custom, prevalent in both the United States and in Great Britain, of playing games involving fruit, such as ducking for apples in a tub of water. Of similar origin is the use of hollowed-out pumpkins carved to resemble grotesque faces and lit by candles placed inside.

How therefore is the Muslim to understand this matter in the light of the shari‘ah? Firstly, the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said in an authentic narration: "Whosoever resembles a people is from them." This is a general statement prohibiting the Muslims from imitation of the kuffar. Any Muslim, who thereby, participates with the non-Muslims in their celebrations, particularly those which involve clear shirk and kufr— is asking for the wrath of Allah and misguidance to descend upon him like it has descended upon them. Allah ta‘ala says: "And those who do not witness falsehood, and if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass by it with dignity." [Al-Furqan, 25:72]

According to the major Companions and their students such as Mujaahid, Rabi‘ ibn Anas and Adh-Dhahhak, the word "falsehood" used in above verse refers to "the holidays of the mushrikeen." Others like Muhammad ibn Sireen are more explicit, stating that the verse defines "the people of shirk practicing their shirk, and (the verse admonishes us) not to participate with them." Thus the believers are those referred to in the verse as "not witnessing falsehood."

At-Tabari explains this aspect, when he says: "It is not allowed for Muslims to attend their [the disbelievers’] holidays and festivals because they are a type of evil and falsehood. If the people of good mix with the people of evil without putting an end to what they are doing, then they become like those who are pleased and influenced by the evil. And we fear falling into Allah's anger because of their gathering." The resemblance referred to here includes all the aforementioned ways. At-Tabari further explains the above mentioned verse, (And those who do not witness falsehood), "They do not assist the people of idolatry in their idolatry, nor do they associate with them."

It was the sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam to differ from the non-Muslims, particularly in those matters which were specific to non-Muslims. In Sunnan Abi Dawud, Anas ibn Malik says that when the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam came to Medinah, there used to be two festivals in which the people engaged in playing sports. So the Prophet asked, "What are these two days?," they replied, "We used to play sports during these in the jahiliyah (time period before Islam)." The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam then said, "Verily Allah has given you two better days, the Day of Adha and the Day of Fitr."

This not only shows that the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam did not acknowledge these days, but also shows that Allah has dignified the Muslims with days which are pleasing to Him and superior in merit. Indeed, the glorious companions understood this and applied its ruling to the fullest extent. Abdullah ibn ‘Umar said, "One who settles in the lands of the non-Muslims, celebrates their New Year’s Days, and behaves like them until he dies, will be raised with them on the Day of Resurrection."

I pray that this brief response clarifies this issue about the origin of Halloween and the Islamic position on it. And Allah knows best, and to Him is our return. Ameen.

------------------
    It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity, to fulfil the
    contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the God-fearing. [ Verse 177 : Surah Al-Baqarah ]

Thnkx for posting. I kinda skimmed thru it, but I've read something similar to it stating how we shouldn't be celebrating non-muslim holidays/festivals.

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Comment

great post...thanx for sharin'

Jazakallah...

------------------
      "... When you ask God for a gift, Be thankful if he sends,Not diamonds, pearls or riches,
      but the love of real true friends."
      ~Helen Steiner Rice

Comment

I don't think itz just for halloween--like saadia said--it's for all of their festivals ie. Valentines Day, Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, St. Patty's Day etc etc etc

------------------
        What, did you think that We created you in mere idle play, and that you would not be returned to Us? But, high exalted is God, the King; the True! There is no god but He, the Lord of the Noble Throne. [al-Muminun 23: 115-116]
        22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

I understand the essence of not celebrating non-Muslim festivals though disagree on a few points.

If you live in the rural areas of Pakistan, you will find many festivals, which have no religious significance. Like farmers do at the end of some corp. seasons etc.

Pakistan day (23rd of March) & then the Independence Day are well known.

So what are your views on these national or regional festivals?!

Do the origin of the festival makes it celebratable or uncelebratable (sp?) Or its modern term interpretation?!
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Well, did the Prophet (p.b.u.h) celebrate "independece" when the muslims took over Mecca??

------------------
            What, did you think that We created you in mere idle play, and that you would not be returned to Us? But, high exalted is God, the King; the True! There is no god but He, the Lord of the Noble Throne. [al-Muminun 23: 115-116]
            22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

No he did not. So, celebrating those National Holidays is UnIslamic.

What about the regional festivals?
              I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
              - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Valid points raised by ahmadjee.
                Perhaps someone can shed some light.

Comment

I think when you R living in a different culture than your's, then it is reasonable to get involved in thier customs and fairs.It does'nt make you Un-Islamic, neither does Islam prohibits you in sharing happiness with others.
                  Islam does not allow Isolationism,above all you share thier occasions, they will your's, it does'nt mean you harming Islam, infact you sharing Broadness of Islam.
                  Many of students on this forum may have gone to christian schools, have they come out non-muslims.
                  lets live together while maintaining our own's ideology, Islam ain't that weak to be harmed by these sharings.

Comment

Originally posted by mm10:
                    I think when you R living in a different culture than your's, then it is reasonable to get involved in thier customs and fairs.
                    Woohooo!!! I had always wanted to step inside that bar down the corner! Here's my chance.

Ummm. No. It's not reasonable. Why not try to educate that 'different' culture of your customs and 'fairs'? It doesn't work this way.

Comment

Originally posted by X_Communist:
                      Woohooo!!! I had always wanted to step inside that bar down the corner! Here's my chance.

Ummm. No. It's not reasonable. Why not try to educate that 'different' culture of your customs and 'fairs'? It doesn't work this way.
                      If you read carefully my post you will find the answer, I did say that

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                        I understand the essence of not celebrating non-Muslim festivals though disagree on a few points. If you live in the rural areas of Pakistan, you will find many festivals, which have no religious significance. Like farmers do at the end of some corp. seasons etc.
                        Ibrahim says; This is where you and the current celebrants may be mistaken, all celebrations basically started with thanks giving to particular deities or god heads or kings and patrons , which may have been forgotten or evolved in the current time frame. Hence participating is such events mean blindly accepting or following things that are not within our perspective.

The Problem here is, as a Muslim, it must be clearly understood all GLORY belongs to Allah alone and any glory being given to any one else is fundamentally flawed

Pakistan day (23rd of March) & then the Independence Day are well known.
                        Ibrahim says independence from what,? If you have achieved independence from tyranny, subjugation or any other ill that had afflicted you and your people , who should you be thanking ?

Hence the very fact that one celebrates independence by not thanking the one who gave you/us the grace, but celebrating to make yourselves happy is fundamentally flawed. But commemoration of an event that took place in history , must also NOTE the fact that it was Allah (swt) that had brought us out of our misery .

Maybe quoting from the Bible might help you here

Matt 5: 15. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.

16. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Ibrahim says; Meaning no matter what good there is seen, the praise should go the Allah (swt) alone.

Here is another…

-- Living Bible
                        Matthew 19:17 ``When you call me good you are calling me God,'' Jesus replied, ``for God alone is truly good. But to answer your question, you can get to heaven if you keep the commandments.''

So what are your views on these national or regional festivals?!
                        Ibrahim says; In Islamic terms all glory and praise belongs to none other than Allah (swt) any celebration that does not recognizes this becomes questionable.

25: 50 And We have distributed the (water) amongst them in order that they may celebrate (Our) praises but most men are averse (to aught) but (rank) ingratitude.

51 Had it been Our Will We could have sent a warner to every center of population

52 Therefore listen not to the Unbelievers but strive against them with the utmost strenuousness with the (Qur'an).

Comment

No one is denying the Glory of Allah, nor the fact that whatever happiness we all have (let it be local farmer festivals or national independence in the form of freedom) in our lives, is only through the grace of Allah!

When Independance day is celebrated in Pakistan, it starts with the tahajids in many mosques. Where ever there is a 'Pakistan Day' celebration, they have recitation of Quran. And the speakers always make a point about the blessings Allah has bestowed on Pakistan & its people. So is the case of farming festivals I was talking about.

Don't speculate or be judgmental when you don't know what's in other person's heart.
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Don't speculate or be judgmental when you don't know what's in other person's heart.[/B]

Ibrahim says; How will i know what is in your/other person's heart? you asked a general Q and I gave you a general answer. Hope it made some sense.

Comment

No he did not. So, celebrating those National Holidays is UnIslamic.

What about the regional festivals?
                              It was the sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam to differ from the non-Muslims, particularly in those matters which were specific to non-Muslims.

Sunnan Abi Dawud, Anas ibn Malik says that when the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam came to Medinah, there used to be festivals in which the people engaged in playing sports. The Prophet asked, "What are these two days?," they replied, "We used to play sports during these in the jahiliyah (time period before Islam)." The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam then said, "Verily Allah has given you two better days, the Day of Adha and the Day of Fitr."

That should answer your question. Even regional festivals were shunned by the Prophet saw.

------------------
                              "Wherever ye are, death will
                              find you out, even if ye are in towers built
                              up strong and high!" If some good befalls
                              them, they say, "This is from God"; but if
                              evil, they say, "This is from thee" (O
                              Prophet). Say: "All things are from God."
                              But what hath come to these people, that they
                              fail to understand a single fact?
                              [AN-NISAA.078]

Comment

Working...
                              X