Henna Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henna Application

A discussion over the weekend has raised some doubts.

Can someone please provide some documentation either justifying or negating the statement that "henna application is sunnah"?

Some say that our prophet, pbuh, used to apply henna and some say that he absolutely forbade it for men.

Jaabir ibn ‘Abdullah reported that Abu Quhaafah was brought on the day of the conquest of Makkah, and his head and beard were white like "thaghaamah" (a plant whose flowers and fruit are white). The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Change this with something, but avoid black." (Reported by Muslim, no. 3962).

Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: ‘At the end of time there will be people who will dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons. They will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise." (reported by Imam Ahmad, see also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 8153).

It was also reported from the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) that one should change grey hair, using any colour except black. Abu Dharr reported that the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "The best things with which to change grey hair are henna and ‘katam’ (a plant similar to henna which is used as a dye)." (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no. 1675; he said: This is a saheeh hasan hadith).

Dyeing hair with pure black dye is haram because the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Avoid black," and because of the threat of punishment reported with regard to this matter. This ruling applies to both men and women.

But if the black dye is mixed with another colour, so that it is no longer black, there is nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
      Dyeing hair with pure black dye is haram because the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Avoid black," and because of the threat of punishment reported with regard to this matter. This ruling applies to both men and women.
      Khan Ji,

These are pretty hard words. I will have to look into it.

I have seen many Maulvi Sahiban in Pakistan dye their hair black. Don't know if it was 'pure' black or not.

Do you know of any hadiths, where AnHazoor (saw) explained why not black?

What color is khazaab? Black? No?
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

ahmadjee,

Harsh or soft but these are the words of prophet according to saheeh hasan hadeeth that you can't use black dye. Read the hadeeths above. These are authentic hadiths. Check them out if you like.

As far as Maulvi sahiban are concerned, I can't be responsible for their actions. You should find out if it was black or not and should tell them coz you know it now.

I don't the colour of khazaab but sure prophet didn't approve of the black colour.

Comment

So does any hadees actually suggest that our huzoor, pbuh, applied henna himself, thereby making it a sunnah?

Comment

Uffo, henna is a kind of dye. I think you can understand that henna is like a subset of dye.

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
              Uffo, henna is a kind of dye. I think you can understand that henna is like a subset of dye.
              but that 'dye' is not balkc, rahter make the hair golden orange colour

Comment

Originally posted by iqra_786:
                ...rahter make the hair golden orange colour

nah, u can't immitate like a non-muslim. I mean you can't dye your hair like a punk or something similar.

Comment

Alrite, if you believe in the hadith compilation of Sahih Bukhari then:

005.058.257 - Merits of the Helpers in Madinah (Ansaar) -

Narrated Anas

(the servant of the Prophet) When the Prophet arrived (at Medina), there was not a single companion of the Prophet who had grey and blackhair except Abu Bakr, and he dyed his hair with Henna' and Katam (i.e.plants used for dying hair). Through another group of narrators, Anas bin Malik said,. "When the Prophet arrived at Medina, the eldest amongst his companions was Abu Bakr. He dyed his hair with Hinna and Katam till it became of dark red color.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks X-Commi. I think that should be close enough.

Now....can we tie-in the henna rasm of applying henna to the groom at the time of the wedding.

Can someone explain the origins of this rasm?

Comment

Muzna Baji,

Here is what you had requested.

From Sahih Bukhari:
                      Volume 1, Book 4, Number 167:
                      Narrated 'Ubaid Ibn Juraij:

I asked 'Abdullah bin 'Umar, "O Abu 'Abdur-Rahman! I saw you doing four things which I never saw being done by anyone of you companions?" 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "What are those, O Ibn Juraij?" I said, "I never saw you touching any corner of the Ka'ba except these (two) facing south (Yemen) and I saw you wearing shoes made of tanned leather and dyeing your hair with Hinna; (a kind of dye). I also noticed that whenever you were in Mecca, the people assume l,hram on seeing the new moon crescent (1st of Dhul-Hijja) while you did not assume the Ihlal (Ihram)--(Ihram is also called Ihlal which means 'Loud calling' because a Muhrim has to recite Talbiya aloud when assuming the state of Ihram)--till the 8th of Dhul-Hijja (Day of Tarwiya). 'Abdullah replied, "Regarding the corners of Ka'ba, I never saw Allah's Apostle touching except those facing south (Yemen) and regarding the tanned leather shoes, no doubt I saw Allah's Apostle wearing non-hairy shoes and he used to perform ablution while wearing the shoes (i.e. wash his feet and then put on the shoes). So I love to wear similar shoes. And about the dyeing of hair with Hinna; no doubt I saw Allah's Apostle dyeing his hair with it and that is why I like to dye (my hair with it). Regarding Ihlal, I did not see Allah's Apostle assuming Ihlal till he set out for Hajj (on the 8th of Dhul-Hijja)."
                      I found the same Hadiths in Sahih Muslim

Book 007, Number 2674:

'Ubaid b. Juraij said to 'Ahdullah b. 'Umar (Allah be pleased with them): 'Abd al-Rahman, I find you doing four things which I do not see anyone among your companions doing. He said: Son of Juraij, what are these? Thereupon he said: You (while circumambulating the Ka'ba) do not touch but the two pillars situated on the side of yaman (south), and I find you wearing the sandals of tanned leather, and I find you with dyed beard and head, and I also found that, when you were at Mecca, the people pronounced Talbiya as they saw the new moon (Dhu'l-Hijja), but you did not do it till the 8th of Dhu'l-Hijja. Upon this 'Abdullab b. 'Umar said: (So far as the touching of) the pillars is concerned, I did not see the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) touching them but only those situated on the side of yaman. (So far asthe wearing of) the shoes of tanned leather is concerned, I saw the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) wearing shoes without hair on them, and he (wore them with wet feet) after performing ablution, and I like to wear them. So far as the yellowness is concerned, I saw the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) dyeing (head, beard and cloth) with this colour and I love to dye (my head, beard or cloth) with this colour. And so far as the pronouncing of Talbiya is concerned, I did not see the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) pronouncing it until his camel proceeded on (to Dhu'l-Hulaifa).
                      In Malik's Muwatta the same hadiths has a little different touch:
                      Book 20, Number 20.7.31:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Said ibn Abi Said al-Maqburi that Ubayd ibn Jurayj once said to Abdullah ibn Umar, "Abu Abd ar-Rahman, I have seen you doing four things which I have never seen any of your companions doing." He said, "What are they, Ibn Jurayj?" and he replied, "I have seen you touching only the two Yamani corners, I have seen you wearing hairless sandals, I have seen you using yellow dye, and, when you were at Makka and everybody had started doing talbiya after seeing the new moon, I saw that you did not do so until the eighth of Dhu'l-Hijja."

Abdullah ibn Umar replied, "As for the corners, I only ever saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, touching the two Yamani corners. As for the sandals, I saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, wearing hairless sandals and doing wudu in them, and I like wearing them. As for using yellow dye, I saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, using it, and I also like to use it for dyeing things with. As for doing talbiya, I never saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, begin doing so until he had set out on the animal he was riding on (i.e. for Mina and Arafa)."
                      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Oops. Sorry ...

Hum. About the groom stuff ... I don't think the two are related. *Don't quote me*
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

No, they aren't related.

The applying of henna during the 'mehndi rasamat' has been linked to the hindu culture but TLC the other day mentioned that it is actually a Jewish wedding tradition.

Islam doesn't contain any of the extra rasams that are usually associated with muslim wedding these days. Nikkah is fardh and Valeema is sunnah.

Comment

So is it then safe to conclude that the application of henna by men is not haram?

And can we assume that application of henna is a cultral tradition not related to or representing any one religion?

Or must we conclude that application of henna to hair and fabric is approved and encouraged as sunnah, while use for the groom in weddings is disallowed as it mimicks the cultures of other faiths?

Comment

Khan Ji,

The reason why I said, you have been a bit harsh, is because of the phrase 'dying hair black is haraam'. It makes me uncomfortable. Especially when the source is only a few Ahadiths.

Secondly, I have read Ahadiths where it is said that AnHazoor (saw) didn't use to dye his hair at all. But others clearly point out that he did!

So, the contradiction is not on part of AnHazoor (saw) but the narattors. Who might have seen AnHazoor (saw) in different times & curcumstances ... and so had a different experience & then narrated those according to their understanding.

Based on just one or two Ahdiths anything 'haram' is ... a bit 'harsh' )

Here is one for you from Sahih Muslim:

Book 030, Number 5782:
                              Thabit reported that Anas b. Malik was asked about the dyeing (of the hair of) Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him). Thereupon he said.: (They were so few) that if I so liked I could count their number in his head, and he further said: (That is) he did not dye. Abu Bakr, however, dyed them and so did 'Umar dye them with pure henna.

[This message has been edited by ahmadjee (edited October 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ahmadjee (edited October 22, 2001).]
                              - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Working...
                              X