Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is is necessary for Islamic Women to wear the veil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is is necessary for Islamic Women to wear the veil?

I'm an American and my girlfriend is an Islamic woman originally from Pakistan. Her reasoning is that since its impossible to wear the viel from head to toe most Islamic women don't wear it that way. So actually there is no sense wearing it all as one is not following that part of their religion strictly anyway. Is this argument valid? If so then I guess she is right to wear whatever she likes right? How rigid is this requirement?

I'm an American and my girlfriend is an Islamic woman originally from Pakistan.

when she opted to go for a 'boy-friend', she is not following Islam, she is a VERY-LOOSE follower.

Her reasoning is that since its impossible to wear the viel from head to toe most Islamic women don't wear it that way.
    everyone can make up excuses, even use other people as their excuses

So actually there is no sense wearing it all as one is not following that part of their religion strictly anyway. Is this argument valid?
    if she is from the beleif that she should cover 'ALL', then there is no compromise.

If so then I guess she is right to wear whatever she likes right? How rigid is this requirement?
    anyone can wear anything she/he wants, but should not say that it represents the religion/beleif system.

according to my knowledge, women are required to cover beauty of their body, including face. this 'cover' is over normal dressing.

------------------
    We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Goddd Changez, this person could be a girl you know, or just a freind who happens to be a girl. Relax

Islam first and foremost instructs a woman (and man) to dress modestly. Meaning do not entice t/ opposite sex intentionally. Similarly, a male is instructed to lower his gaze w/ respect when he comes accross a female.

Now according to most Religious scholars, a woman must cover her hair w/ a head scarf (hijaab) cuz hair is by most standards considered a woman's ultimate beauty symbol or so I have been told. Others say that as long as one is not showing /revealing her body she is dressed modestly.

Veil (covering your face xcept your eyes) actually comes from t/ Arab culture, when nomads used to travel thru deserts and to protect themselves from dust, they wud cover their faces. So it;s a matter of whom you talk.

But one thing is for sure. A "practicing" Muslim woman will never show or reveal her body parts. She will not feel t/ need to flaunt her body as this is considered very private, personal and sacred, not for every Tom, Dick and Harry to stare, crtique and lust! Simple

Comment

veil is not compulsary....
        neither is hiding the face....
        the woman has to cover her head (and hair) and her body from her neck to her ankles....
        the hands maybe uncovered below the wrist....
        and any dress that does not outline her figure (i.e. loose respectable dress) can be used....
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

The question about veil or hijab was asked to one of the professors representing Islam a political forum at my school.

He said its "encouraged" not "required" ... and only *modesty* is "required".

Anyone want to comment on that?
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyDesi:
            Goddd Changez, this person could be a girl you know, or just a freind who happens to be a girl. Relax
            are you kidding me, yourself, GOD? wherein Islam is a woman allowed to 'befriend' a man (especially a non-mehram) ?

I don't have references from Quran right now, so I'll shut up and not say whats in Quran and whats not.

Face may not be required to cover, but rest of the body should be so covered that body curves (beauty of body) do not show up.

But think about it, is it only body that makes a man look at a woman? or face is also part of it?

by your comments, it seems that face does not play 'any' part in attracting opposite sex.

------------------
            We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Below is a link to an article that might help us understand why Muslim women wear Hijab.

<a href="http://www.islam-usa.net/Why+Does+Muslim+Woman+wear+Hijab.doc">THE QUESTION OF HIJAB: SUPPRESSION OR LIBERATION?</a>
              [Note: This is a MS Word document]

-Insha

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                The question about veil or hijab was asked to one of the professors representing Islam a political forum at my school.

Hijab is FARD(Obligatory) and niqab is definitely encouraged in Islam. (inshAllah will try to get something on it). Besides hijab is modesty, I can't imagine being modest without observing hijab ???

------------------
                "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
                (11:55-56)

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                  are you kidding me, yourself, GOD? wherein Islam is a woman allowed to 'befriend' a man (especially a non-mehram) ?

I don't have references from Quran right now, so I'll shut up and not say whats in Quran and whats not.

Face may not be required to cover, but rest of the body should be so covered that body curves (beauty of body) do not show up.

But think about it, is it only body that makes a man look at a woman? or face is also part of it?

by your comments, it seems that face does not play 'any' part in attracting opposite sex.

I agree !!! women are not allowed to talk to non-mehram unless really needed. I'm sure there are lotsa ahadith on it. Does anyone know how AUTHENTICE the book Tabrani is ??? I got a hadith from it prohibiting women from talking to non-merham. As you said, rest of the body has to be covered as well. I *THINK* there are verses in Quran stating tht "women should cast their outer garment" or something similar to it. inshAllah will try to post'em too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
                    I agree !!! women are not allowed to talk to non-mehram unless really needed. I'm sure there are lotsa ahadith on it. Does anyone know how AUTHENTICE the book Tabrani is ??? I got a hadith from it prohibiting women from talking to non-merham. As you said, rest of the body has to be covered as well. I *THINK* there are verses in Quran stating tht "women should cast their outer garment" or something similar to it. inshAllah will try to post'em too.
                    Sadiaa and Changes-like....u guys are right about women not being allowed to be "friends" with non-mehrams....but did u ever stop to think that this person "curious-abt-u" could be a girl and was asking questions about a paki girlfriend of hers???

------------------
                    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:

There is a reason for everything in Islam. When you think about it, all rules make sense. Sometimes, cultural practices become mistaken for Islam.
                      I agree with this professor, from what I have read, Islam requires modesty for both men and women. I have not read about hijab in the Quran. I'm not claiming to be an expert on Islam, I may be mistaken. But those who say that hijab is required, please tell me where in the Quran it says that.

Comment

Originally posted by DonJuan DeMarco:
                        Sadiaa and Changes-like....u guys are right about women not being allowed to be "friends" with non-mehrams....but did u ever stop to think that this person "curious-abt-u" could be a girl and was asking questions about a paki girlfriend of hers???

AoA, sure it could be a girl, I just responded to Changez like's q.

Comment

Originally posted by Yasmine:
                          There is a reason for everything in Islam. When you think about it, all rules make sense. Sometimes, cultural practices become mistaken for Islam.
                          I agree with this professor, from what I have read, Islam requires modesty for both men and women. I have not read about hijab in the Quran. I'm not claiming to be an expert on Islam, I may be mistaken. But those who say that hijab is required, please tell me where in the Quran it says that.

AoA,Hijab is FARD and something that is obligatory/fard in Islam cannot be optional. inshAllah will try to get some quotes from Quran soon.

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited October 17, 2001).]

Comment

33. Al­Ahzāb
                            V.59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allāh is Ever Oft­Forgiving, Most Merciful.

24. An-Nūr
                            V.30-31

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allāh is All-Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islām), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allāh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful.

24. An-Nūr
                            V.60

And as for women past child-bearing who do not expect wed-lock, it is no sin on them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show their adornment. But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them. And Allāh is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

inshAllah will try to get some more verses soon..

Comment

Thanks Sadiaa

Comment

Working...
                              X