[5] Iyyaa kana’badoo wa iyyaa kanasta’een

“It is You we worship and You we ask for help.”

Here it can be seen from the phrase “It is You we worship …”, that the pronoun ‘You’ is brought before the verb ‘worship’ which illustrates an emphasis toward Allaah that it is He alone worthy of worship. He is being singled out for worship. And it is from the Wisdom of Allaah that the verse was revealed in such a manner.

The same applies for what follows “…and You we ask for help.” Again an emphasis is put on the pronoun. In this case we single out Allaah as the One we turn to alone for help, as we don’t seek help from any other except He.

“Ibaadah” (worship), as Shaikh al-Islaam has said, “is a comprehensive name for all that Allaah loves and all that Allaah is pleased with from the actions and the sayings whether they be apparent or whether they be hidden.”

Therefore ‘Ibaadah’ is not just praying, fasting, giving zakaah or performing Hajj, but encompasses everything i.e. the whole religion and way of life is ‘ibaadah’. And we know what pleases Allaah and His Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) because it is mentioned in the Qur’aan and in numerous ahadeeth of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam).

From the apparent actions, we have the actions of the limbs and the actions of the tongue – our physical movement and our sayings.

And from amongst the hidden actions include the inner thoughts along with personal feelings and emotions – love, pleasure, hatred, fear and hope – and the spiritual condition of the heart – the level of our eemaan, whether it is high or low.

“This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed my favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion.” [Soorah al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So it can be said, that because the Deen of Allaah is complete and perfect (i.e. no need for addition or subtraction), ibaadah is comprehensive and entails everything that is part of the Religion.

&peace

----------------
"No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."