Afghani women and veil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afghani women and veil

So what's up with these Taliban dudes? This topic of women in Afghanistan keeps poping up. Why do these guys tell women to wear veil and enforce it as a law of the land?

Now, I know that women are asked to wear hijab or veil in Islam. Nothing wrong with that. But it seems to me that it's something which is upto women. They chose to wear hijab, fine. They don't chose to wear hijab, their will. It's more like an individual decision to abide by what religion says to the extent one wishes to. Religion says a lot of other things and it is practically impossible to abide by every single one of them for every single person (unless, of course, it's something at collective level and act of one harms the other). But for doctrines that are prescribed at individual level, God be the judge and jury and if there is punishment or reward, that's between the individual and the God.

So, naturally, people follow some rules and don't follow others. Where the heck these Taliban guys come in the picture to tell women they have to do it?

And under Taliban regime all men are cursed to grow a compulsory beard.

Comment

Dear Roman,

Quite an emotional chap aren't you?
      What Muslims do inside of their own homes is totally up to them. But we should fear Allaah as much as possible, whatever it is that we do. However, as for on the streets and in public, the Muslimah must observe the Islaamic dress code, becuase their actions or the way in which they present themselves can also have an effect on others. If the women do not cover themselves in public, then this will cause men to stare at their beauty and attractions and for the women this may initially be no big deal, but men who cannot control their desires may fall into all kinds of sinful matters. You just have to look at the western world around you. Also in many societies, men do not like other men to stare at their wives, which could lead to all sorts of trouble.

So the laws of observing hijaab (from head to toe) for the Muslim woman is not just to protect herself from the evil lustful desires of some men, but also to protect society as a whole.

anand,

Turning this thread into a Taalibaan bashing session are you?

By growing beards, at least the Taalibaan look like men and not women. Hang on! Don't tell me you shave??? ooooooh!!!

----------------
      "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited September 30, 2001).]

Comment

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited September 30, 2001).]

Comment

Comment

Comment

>> If the women do not cover themselves in public, then this will cause men to stare at their beauty and attractions and for the women this may initially be no big deal, but men who cannot control their desires may fall into all kinds of sinful matters

Well, it seems to me that it's men's responsibilty more than women's to do something about it. Problem is with men then. If men are that weak then they need to overcome their weaknesses.

Moreover, not all men are weak and do anything stupid out of such desires. As a matter of fact, in a closed society, this actually can have adverse effects. What's hidden is more obsessed with and can have more drastic effects.

As far as husbands not wanting other men staring at their wives, like I said before, my point is not to negate the idea behind hijab. I am sure if this a problem for a couple, they can very well decide upon the issue between themselves, whatever that compromise/decision may be.

I do not have any problems with women wearing hijab neither their not wearing it, it's upto the individual. I do, however, condemn any sort of imposition of any such religious practices that are an individual's own decision, and is enforced solely due to male dominance.

Comment

Comment

I actually know of a case where the Taliban
                    actually beat a woman for shaving her beard!!!!
                    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

Roman lets put it this way, you donít mind people checking out your mother and sister, but they do.

Want more? Just ask.

------------------
                      *We are the Taleban-Resistance is Futile*

Comment

Btw, the veil aka Burqa is traditional, not religious. It only abides by the religious idea.

Ps.2 stop watching crap like behind the veil.

Ps.3 Hijab in Arabic means full body covering including the face. Ask a scholar.

------------------
                        *We are the Taleban-Resistance is Futile*

Comment

>> Btw, the veil aka Burqa is traditional, not religious. It only abides by the religious idea.

YougBrat, so you are saying that they are imposing the hijab on women out of some sort of cultural revolution not religion?

How can you promote a cultural value by force? Culture propagates by people's choice and adoption, you can't force it. That's totalitarianism.

PS. munay, you are lucky I don't take below the belt (no pun intended) shots at others' mothers and sisters - don't serve your siblings on a platter like you did to me to those who won't hesitate taking a pot shot.

PS2. Show some respect to your mother and sister, I'm sure they look up to you at least for something.

Comment

Taliban is full of power hungry men who use religion to control people, just like the leaders of most cults.

Comment

Roman,

You're absolutely right. The problem is with the men. But you might also find the odd women who 'dress to kill' so to say. This is a lot more obvious here in the west than in our countries back home. However, this trend has also evolved over time in the West. During the reign of Queen Victoria in Britain two hundred years prior, there existed such a conservative society that it was made impermissible to even uncover the legs of tables. But today, this is no longer. Today, as you are well aware, things are a lot more liberal. This too can happen over time in regions like Afghanistan if they're not careful, which is precisely why certain codes ought to applied on the streets.

But these rules are laid down primarily due to the natural weakness/desire of man. This is exactly why Allaah has also ordered the man to lower his gaze. But obviously this is not enough to protect society as a whole. You're probably correct, not all men are the same when it comes to this issue. However, laws are made for societies at large.

I do, however, condemn any sort of imposition of any such religious practices that are an individual's own decision, and is enforced solely due to male dominance.
                              This is an inacurate statement. As i said earlier, if it is in the best interest of the people as a whole and in the bettering of a society by protecting them - from evil or other external forces - then the decision lies with the state. Secondly, these laws are not prescribed due to male dominance - they are commanded by Allaah (SWT). When the verses of the veil were revealed, women did not wait to see what their husbands, fathers or other men said. They acted spontaneously and immediately picked up the nearest sheets and literally threw them over themselves. They clearly understood that this is Allaah's law and not man made law, thus acted in accordance and promptly.

Unfortunately, this no longer remains the case today. The West are waging a war against Allaah by influencing or trying to change opinion in conflict with Allaah's Laws and Regulations. They think their laws are superior and in line with social transition. They plot and they plan. And Allaah plots and He plans. And indeed Allaah is the best of planners.

kind regards

----------------------
                              "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Working...
                              X